My PS3 Broke - Options?

Soldato
Last night whilst playing Arkham Asylum (amazing game) my PS3 (60gb) crashed. So I restarted it and tried to reload the game, but the disc drive wasnt reading any discs. I tried with various other Blurays, DVDs etc but got nothing. I unplugged everything, turned it off at the mains, still got nothing. I checked on the internet and read that this is a common problem with 60gb models and Sony will charge £100 to get this repaired.

Im not sure what my options are now. Should I pay the £100 and get it repaired, or should I buy a new 160gb model as these are much less prone to problems and I would rather spend the extra cash for the reliability. Luckily a friend lent me his PS3 to use, as I work in the middle of nowhere on a construction site and my PS3 is one of the only things to entertain me!

Also, how do I go about transferring my data from one PS3 to another? Cheers :)

Soldato
If it were mine id get it repaired (probably not from Sony though as indie shops will do it cheaper) Then sell it on ebay or something and buy a slim. They can still fetch a reasonable amount (£150ish) as they have the PS2 backwards compatability which should cover most of the cost of getting a slim.

Unfortunately, if you dont get it repaired i dont think you can get your saves etc back as the PS3 will format any hard drive before you can use it.

Edit - You could always just get it repaired by an indie and keep it, some offer a few months warranty for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just had this exact fault with my PS3 last week, it's the laser. Cost me £52.99 for a new one and I replaced it myself, very simple if you have any experience of building PCs or taking things apart :)

You may also have a shop near you that will do repairs? It's a common fault and easily fixed.

Soldato
OP
I just had this exact fault with my PS3 last week, it's the laser. Cost me £52.99 for a new one and I replaced it myself, very simple if you have any experience of building PCs or taking things apart :)

You may also have a shop near you that will do repairs? It's a common fault and easily fixed.

Cheers! Where did you buy the parts from? Link? Or email in trust :)

Soldato
consoleparts4u.co.uk was the site - I had to dismantle my PS3 first to find out which model of laser I needed, couldn't find it just from the model number of my PS3.

Soldato
using my ps3 as a media center since laser is busted. with GT5 around the corner, was thinking or doing this since i do not like the Slim compared to the Phat.

Anyway how long to these fixes work? am I ok for a couple of years or will it be another DIY in a few months?

Soldato
OP
Ok, so I ended up buying a whole new laser mechanism from console blitz. Fitted and put it together. The PS3 recognises the disc and loads it, but then crashes. Im so fed up with now Im just going to whack it on ebay when I am back in the UK. Im sure someone can fix it. I reckon it could be an overheating issue because I wiped a lot of the thermal paste off the blu ray PCB as it got covered in dust.
Im going to buy a 160gb slim tomorrow. Theyre expensive at around £250 for a new one up here in the outback but Ive got a lot of games left to play!

Associate
My friend was playing mw2 on campine mose last night 6 hour gaiming sesh he said his ps 3 beeped twice and went off

he left it and he booted up and it works fine...

will it have any long tiome effects

is it the beging of the end for his ps3 slim :(

Back
Top Bottom