How do I get an app made?

Associate
Hi, i have seen on a jailbroken iPhone you can use an app called screensplitr witch as the name suggests you plug in the av cable and you get your whole iPhone screen on your tv.
I don't want to jailbrake my iPhone but there is no such app in the app store. Is it possible to make the app to do it or is jailbrakin the only option?
The reason I want to do this so badly is that I am a wagon sever and have a DVD poster in the wagon and I want to be able to plug it in and use sat nag on the phone by see it on a screen big enough to use whilst listening to music and taking calls handsfree. All the time the phone on charge.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks! Dan

Associate
OP
Am I wrong in thinking that reliability becomes a bit of an issue and warranty?
I am really really happy With the phone as it is but I wantto be able to do this. I am new to all apple stuff and I have never been into any kind of programming before..

Soldato
Warranty solution: Just reset ;) no traces left behind etc.

all good and well till something like your USB port breaks and you cant charge it enough to get to the reset menus or connect to itunes for a factory restore

mines jail broken and ive never once had any issues but im under no illusion that theres the slimmest of chances i could end up in trouble.

Associate
Is it possible to make the app to do it or is jailbrakin the only option?

Ofc it's possible to make an app to do it, but learning how to do such thing would take quite a bit of time and dedication. If you did make your own app you wouldn't have to worry about jailbreaking or the app store though.

Soldato
A) You would probably have to spend quite abit of time with Xcode learning programming so unless your prepared to learn C++ and IIRC, Carbon (Or is it Cocoa!?) then don't even bother with making your own.

B) Jailbreak it. It's not a problem and the Apple APIs do not allow for video output so thats never going to happen (unless Apple create a API for it, which I doubt...)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Apple have APIs, but they are not supported or documented in the SDK. You may not use undocumented or self-created APIs, which is why some companies have gotten in to trouble in the past.

How else do you think Steve Jobs gets the display out of the iPhone at WWDC ;)

/pedant.

Soldato
Its Cocoa :p

I would jailbreak it as well.

Finally convinced my girlfriend to jailbreak her phone, took 5 mins and she is happy with all the little tweaks she can do now.

Really is so easy to do :)

Associate
OP
Ok thanks for the replies. I have a few questions.
What's an API?
What's an SDK?
And I am almost convinced to jailbreak so what do I need to know, is there reliability issues and so on?
As I use my phone for everything like I say sat nav at work and mp3s and obviously a phone. I can't have it just deciding it doesn't want to work anymore.

Maybe another option ( although a long shot I think ) YouTube works on the cable so maybe tom-tom could make their app work with the cable?

Thanks. Dan

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

API - An Application Programming Interface (API) is a particular set of rules and specifications that a software program can follow to access and make use of the services and resources provided by another particular software program that implements that API. It serves as an interface between different software programs and facilitates their interaction, similar to the way the user interface facilitates interaction between humans and computers.

SDK - Software Development Kit i.e what you use to create the app. Xcode on Mac OS X.

Back
Top Bottom