Rift: Planes of Telera Beta

Associate
Not really no, depends if you class games like Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 as fully fledged MMOs.

If it has to be free, go read up on Guild Wars 2 which is a box purchase and no sub.

Associate
Macky Guild Wars 2 looks enticing but no release imminent and I really won't play D3 for MMO aspects.

You might like the various free to play MMO's - Lord of the Rings Online is very polished, fun and a good use of the license. I prefer lots of flashy magic though ;)

Associate
anyone else intereste din joining the OCUK Rift guild please join up

http://ocukrift.proboards.com/index.cgi?

next beta starts 15th feb so i would like us all to be set up on the same faction/server for then.

Does anyone have a vent/teamspeak server/room we could use for the guild please?

i posted on there and would like to join if its ok, i probably wont be playing until the 24th though as theres not much point playing loads of the beta as the characters get wiped. Already decided on my classes and played to level 12.

Associate
i posted on there and would like to join if its ok, i probably wont be playing until the 24th though as theres not much point playing loads of the beta as the characters get wiped. Already decided on my classes and played to level 12.

Out of interest what classes are you playing?

I haven't done a lot of research on this one, but was contemplating a mage with Chloro for the insta heals, Dominator for the insta CC & Stormcaller for damage.

I'm interested in decent cleric combinations also, but haven't had that long to play about yet.

Associate
Last couple of Alpha patches have seen a noticeable improvement in performance. I'm maxed out on everything and hitting a constant 75-90 fps, now the Alpha server aren't as busy (by far) as beta or release but there has been a steady improvement in frame rate.

Associate
OP
Last couple of Alpha patches have seen a noticeable improvement in performance. I'm maxed out on everything and hitting a constant 75-90 fps, now the Alpha server aren't as busy (by far) as beta or release but there has been a steady improvement in frame rate.

On what hardware? I'm on Alpha and I still cannot get above 50 (which means it's normally lower, often barely scraping 30 when there are a large number of effects e.t.c.) using the games predefined 'ultra' setting that has a lot of things like AA, AF off, and things like Shadow Resolution, Clutter, View Distance scaled well down.

That is with a ATI 5850, An AMD Quadcore @ 3.4ghz and 4gb of ram.4

When you say maxed out, is that with 8x AA, and every single slider turned up? What sort of hardware does it take to get 80-90 fps on those settings then?

Associate
Out of interest what classes are you playing?

I haven't done a lot of research on this one, but was contemplating a mage with Chloro for the insta heals, Dominator for the insta CC & Stormcaller for damage.

I'm interested in decent cleric combinations also, but haven't had that long to play about yet.

i tried a few out to level 10ish, Assasin/Riftstalker/blade dancer is probably what im going to go for, just loved playing a rogue in this game :)

Soldato
This is a very good thing. If you hadn't beta'd it and just bought the release version you'd be stuck with a game you couldn't use due to your college's security.

Find an admin and bribe him with doughnuts to be honest ;)

Haha I'll see if any of them like donuts, judging from their size I'd say yes. :p

Good to see tax payers money being put to good use. :rolleyes:

Tax payers? I'm an international student. I pay an awful lot of fees. Not to mention my visa and immigration card.

Hell I spent more on fees in 2 years than most Irish students will going from school to a doctorate combined.

Associate
On what hardware? I'm on Alpha and I still cannot get above 50 (which means it's normally lower, often barely scraping 30 when there are a large number of effects e.t.c.) using the games predefined 'ultra' setting that has a lot of things like AA, AF off, and things like Shadow Resolution, Clutter, View Distance scaled well down.

That is with a ATI 5850, An AMD Quadcore @ 3.4ghz and 4gb of ram.4

When you say maxed out, is that with 8x AA, and every single slider turned up? What sort of hardware does it take to get 80-90 fps on those settings then?

I5 Sandy @ 4.4ghz, 4gb RAM and a nVidia 570

Was getting over 110 on Ultra then then I moved all the sliders to max.

Associate
My warrior spec was a lot of fun! Had Beastmaster with Voidknight, I think the other was Reaver, for dots and the pet off tanking multiple mobs.

Pally with Voidknight and Reaver gave a decent tanking option with reasonable DPS. I couldn't get on with Champion but I wasn't reallt interested in that to spec it properly.

Back
Top Bottom