• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone remember this bit of nostalgia?

Soldato
Just found this disc. :) It's disc 2, but I think disc 1 would have been the installation disc for the 3Dfx voodoo cards. I had voodoo 1 and voodoo 2 I think.

They were the first of the 3D graphics card companies to my knowledge before nvidia came on the scene and bought them out. Something like that, correct me if I'm wrong.

voodoovu.jpg

Soldato
OP
A CD is considored nostalgia now? :p

Duh, no, it's the name on the CD that I'm referring to.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/graphics-cards/2686/orchid-righteous-3d

I must have owned one of those orchid righteous 3D cards then, and voodoo later on.

I didn't join the discrete graphics scene until the nVidia breakthrough that was the 4mb STB Velocity 128. The beginning of the end for the mighty 3dfx!

Apparently the 3dfx Voodoo2 was the first card to introduce SLI.

Last edited:

GiT

GiT

Associate
I remember daisy chaining my normal vga card to the voodoo 3dfx card. At the time it was a HUGE improvement in visuals.

Soldato
I remember daisy chaining my normal vga card to the voodoo 3dfx card. At the time it was a HUGE improvement in visuals.

Yep same here....s3 virge 3d with the 3dfx piggy back card!!! Ultimate race pro ran great lol!

Mate had 2x sli voodoo2 cards quake 2 was epic with them :)

Permabanned
I remember way back when I specced my first cheapo gaming PC as a teen, I picked a 32 mb ATI Rage Fury over a 16 Mb Voodoo 3 because I thought more ram = better.

Boy did that card coupled with a K6II 450 disappoint, it could hardly run a thing with decent frame rates.

Ati used to be so crap in their pre Radeon days compared to the others. And I remember the Geforce breakthrough that reshaped graphics technology for ever, and completely put 3dfx out of business when they got completely rofflestomped by the Geforce 2.

Soldato
OP
. And I remember the Geforce breakthrough that reshaped graphics technology for ever, and completely put 3dfx out of business when they got completely rofflestomped by the Geforce 2.

I found my old g-force2 MX200 64MB AGP card and box (jumping leopard on box cover) a couple of days ago. Stared at it, went "wow look at that", then binned it :p

Associate
I still have my Hercules GeForce GTSII, nice looking card, it replaced my Voodoo 3 2000.

I think 3DFX were compromised by sticking to 16bit colour more than anything else.

Associate
I remember having a 2mb matrox mystique card that came with ultimate race pro(amazing looking for the time, but in reality a turd lol) and incoming. Upgraded to a 12mb voodoo lol, arrrgh those were the days 4 meg ram................he he

Permabanned
I still have my Hercules GeForce GTSII, nice looking card, it replaced my Voodoo 3 2000.

I think 3DFX were compromised by sticking to 16bit colour more than anything else.

Oh yea, thats why my Rage Fury was slower than the Voodo 3, because it used 32 bit color lol!

It was cheaper too, if I remember correctly it was £89.99 for the 32 Mb Rage Fury, £119 for the 16 Mb voodoo 3, and maybe £200 for the 32 Mb Nvidia Riva TNT2?

3dfx were still doing great while sticking to 16 bit colour, they went out of business when they didnt create a T+L engine on their Voodoo 5000 range and fell far behind the Geforce 2 and Radeon video cards. The cards were just as expensive as a Geforce 2 GT, while no where near on par with their complete lack of a dedicated GPU.

Nvidia pretty much put every other brand out of business back then. Only ATI remained competitive and produced cards on par with what Nvidia were making - The Geforce 1 was rivaled by the Rage Fury Maxx, The Geforce 2 by the Radeon DDR, Geforce 3 by the Radeon 8500, and then the Geforce 4 came out and was a very strong card for some time ......

.... Until the legendary Ati Radeon 9700 pro was released. Then ATI became a major powerhouse as well.

Permabanned
I think my first card was a TNT2 :o Before that, I think my games were limited to the original Doom and Wolfenstein.

That TNT2 lasted me well, my next upgrade was a ti4200 IIRC, and that was second hand! I couldn't believe how much better counter-strike ran.

Associate
I think my first GPU was the original GeForce 256,I remember a few of the names in previous posts but that 256 cost me a fair bit back in the early 90's iirc.

Got to love nostalgia!!

Back
Top Bottom