Have a job interview (Royal Mail)

Soldato
I have been after a new job for a while my current one is depressing, no chance of moving on dead end and waste of time, the money is rubbish etc...

Got a text other day saying I have been invited to an interview after passing the online tests.

Done a bit of googling and came across what appears to be the sort of questions they ask you.

1. Have you ever been in a position of trust by someone giving you something to look after?
2. Give an example of when you worked as part of a team.
3. Give an example of when you had to work on your own initiative.
4. How would you deal with an customer who is not happy with the service they have received?
5. How do you keep yourself fit?
6. Give an example of when you worked to a deadline.
7. Have you ever done a repetitive job before and what did you do to make it easier?

I have never had a proper interview for a job, ever! So I am nervous as hell as it feels like a lot of hanging in the balance. A new year and a new job would be fantastic.

I have drafted up some answers for the above but would appreciate some feedback if possible.
Obviously I know it wont be worded as the above not to rely on these to much but they are kind of generic and it does give a bit of a hint what they ask in the "more info" section of the application.

1)During my time at UKMail I was trusted to come in and prepare the machine and organize the work load for the day a head, would arrive roughly one hour before everyone else to ensure we were ready to start.

2)Whilst working for Jamesons I worked as part of a small team carrying out a large variety of tasks like building extensions/gardens/kitchens/athrooms all of which took a lot of team work and co ordination.
Also at Honda I helped those associates around me if they had any trouble or fell behind due to a problem. Was able to do bits of their process to help keep the line moving at all times.

3) *struggling to think of something*

4) I would listen to any complaints they may have and take note, I would also give them relevant contact information for them to take there complaint further should they wish.

5)Attend the gym several times a week and enjoy running. I Enjoy doing 5km with an average time of about 23minutes, I am always pushing myself to get this time down as I love the challenge and sense of achievement.

6)Alll my previous employment involved me working to a deadline.
At Jamesons we had a deadline in which the customers were expecting the work to be completed, was important it was kept as word of mouth from happy customers gains more work.
UKMail there were several deadlines in the day, different customers wanted there mail sorted before a set time so it was ready for delivery.
Honda had very strict time frame in which you had to work, was vital this was kept as any downtime was massively expensive.

7)Honda was the most repetitive job I have had with the same process being down roughly every 90 seconds.
To make it easier I would actively try and improve my work area, make it tidier, more efficient and practical.
Thanks to this approach I created several great ideas which were implemented, a good example is the racking that was used for baffle plates.
When I started the racking was split into several rows with each model having its own row, when a new build came on line you just picked up the baffle plates from that row.
To eliminate the possibility of errors the racking was just split into just one row and a shelf was created to store the others.
An offline associate would sort the baffle plates for the day by looking at the build sheet and only put enough for each build on the rack, with clear precise headers to show when it was changing.

Use of initiative and part of my last answer could fall under the same sort of thing couldn't they?

Thank you for the taking the time to read it!

Soldato
OP
For postie with some driving

How have I never managed it?

First place of work was after college for a few years, family run business.
Second place of work which was about 9 months a friend got me a job in there as they were short on staff one day, ended up staying the 9 months.
Honda didn't do interviews was just aptitude tests and a medical (mass hiring)
Current place they needed people quite quickly and I had worked in similar role before so just had to turn up on day of start.

Soldato
The last answer is too specific to your Honda job. Royal Mail will be looking for an answer which can also be applied to your role as a postie.

So something a little more vague, which could also help you in your new job will be what they want.

Associate
An answer for 3 could fall from when you were asked to seek for cost savings. As you pointed out your last answer leads to a cost saving through higher quality control which shows you are proactive in looking to not only improve your own work area but also make improvements for the company.

Soldato
Ah. Just turn up smart, don't be a hermit and you'll get the job :p

Actually it seems much more common these days for large chains to hire practically anyone, but then keep or get rid of them based on frequent invasive assesments, thus ensuring their workers are basically zombie/robots, otherwise they get the sack.

So it doesn't really matter who they hire, since they'll be gone in a matter of weeks if they don't fit the role perfectly.

It makes sense really, since you can't really tell from an interview wether someone will be great at their job or be a complete failure. So just hire lots of people and filter out the bad ones.

So yeah, just dress smart and SMILE and you'll get the job*, but wether you keep it for longer then your trial period is another matter entirely.

* Obviously assuming you have references and a clean criminal record. Although I'm not sure even this is particularly important for some places.

Permabanned
Just a few thoughts ...??

1)During my time at UKMail I was trusted to come in and prepare the machine and organize the work load for the day a head, would arrive roughly one hour before everyone else to ensure we were ready to start.

During my time at UKMail there was an important responsibility to prepare machinery in preparation for the day's activities. I was chosen as the person most capable of performing the action, and always succeeded in this duty

2)Whilst working for Jamesons I worked as part of a small team carrying out a large variety of tasks like building extensions/gardens/kitchens/athrooms all of which took a lot of team work and co ordination.
Also at Honda I helped those associates around me if they had any trouble or fell behind due to a problem. Was able to do bits of their process to help keep the line moving at all times.
I have successfully worked within a number of teams, most notably Jamesons, where I was a key member of a team performing building projects. After a while my work was of such quality that I was asked to help coordination the team.

3) Whilst proving my individual capability with regards to preparing machinery each morning at UK Mail it soon became necessary to be the first on to site. My manager quickly realised he did not need to be present when I performed these important company tasks. The machinery suffered from several technical issues which I was single-handedly expected to solve using my own initiative. The hardware was working for every single day of my tenure when my colleagues arrived for work.

4) I would listen to any complaints they may have and take note, I would also give them relevant contact information for them to take there complaint further should they wish.

I would intially ensure I know the company policies with regards to complaints and apply them. Listen closely and attentively to the customer's concerns, making notes as required, and action the company procedure. If company policy involves my using my own judgement I am very capable of performing this action due to my previous experiences with customers

Soldato
1. Have you ever been in a position of trust by someone giving you something to look after? Yea, a big Mac
2. Give an example of when you worked as part of a team. When i helped put all the crayons away at nursery
3. Give an example of when you had to work on your own initiative. When i had to wipe my bum for the first time
4. How would you deal with an customer who is not happy with the service they have received? Punch them in the face
5. How do you keep yourself fit? Make sure i walk to the bog instead of using the stair lift
6. Give an example of when you worked to a deadline. When i had to deliver the newspapers before school started
7. Have you ever done a repetitive job before and what did you do to make it easier? Lines on a board at school. Bullied another kid to finish them!!

Last edited:
Associate
7. Never say that you get bored or have had a boring job in the past. Instead say that when you have been asked to do a repetitive job in the past you have found that you are constantly thinking of new ways to improve the way you work and putting this into practice you are always filling up your time with something to do ... eg. and give the example you outlined in your post.

Britboy, could you tidy up the other answers for the OP please...

Last edited:
Associate
Hi R5RICH ill try and help

im not sure if you should say this

5)Attend the gym several times a week and enjoy running. I Enjoy doing 5km with an average time of about 23minutes, I am always pushing myself to get this time down as I love the challenge and sense of achievement.

To a Royal mail person that just screams that you are going to rush your duty, if you get the job, there wont want that maybe you should remove that 1 .

Also tell your line manager about the situation make him aware.

6)Alll my previous employment involved me working to a deadline.

very good answer, also best part about working to a deadline is when the job is done you dont have to worry. because you know its complete and makes your sleeping at night a lot better not worrying about finishing anything off the next day every day is a new start :)

britain is a nation of morners and in any public sector at the moment get it hard, nurses doctors police its 1 of the worst places this country for them kind of jobs.

There are bad parts to Royal Mail, mainly the british complaints most are never happy, you are too early or too late when you deliver, or eg you deliver a parcel through the snow at -15 you get to the door the person then grabs the parcel off you and slams the door, then there go on ebay and say that was a fantastic deliver lmao nvm i dont want to put you off there are some great points and there is pro and cons with every job and the weather should be picking up soon i wish you the best of luck ,

Back
Top Bottom