Got myself a 'powerbar' chin up / pull up bar - mini review + pics

dun

dun

Soldato
The bar almost certainly could but I would be worried about the door frames personally.

When I trained at home I neglected my lats for a long time. It started to become a very real weak point and made my whole upper body look even smaller than it was. So I found what bit I had lying around and knocked this up in the shed.

pullup1.jpg

It was unstable and not overly safe but it did the job and my lats started to grow.
I then got a pole from one of those garden umbrella things and made a much more sturdy one which lasted me up until I started the gym.

pullup2.jpg

Point is you don't need fancy bits of equipment. Both of those cost me nothing (shockingly haha).

Soldato
I wanted one of these but it wouldn't fit so I had to get one of the ones that goes in between your frame and extends into cups you've drilled in. Bit annoying. Intention is to get the Ironmaster Super Bench and use the pull up attachment for that... just need space that's non-existent in my room!

Caporegime
OP
I'm looking to get one of these. Which would you suggest, the one in the original post (revised model) or this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ.../3|cat_14419293|Toning+equipment|23846075.htm

The orignal is around £5-10 more expensive.

Looking at how that model sits in the doorframe, it has two obvious disadvantages: it sits lower in the frame meaning you'd have to bend your legs more, maybe a problem if you're tall, and secondly the widest possible grip is no wider than the door frame, meaning you can only go so wide on your pullups. The one in my OP fits in the door frame such that you hang from a higher point and your hands can grip at a point wider than the outside of the door frame.

On the other hand, it has grips for closed palm pullups (or whatever they're called) which mine doesn't, so it depends on what's important to you. It also looks like it has better protection for the door frame than mine.

The Argos one:

How many reps can you do now Robbie?

I can now do 19 chinups, 16 pullups (close grip), and 10 pullups (wide grip) with bodyweight until failure. I haven't been doing it religiously all this time unfortunately otherwise I'm sure it would be better.

But considering I couldn't do a single wide grip before I started (trained with hanging excercises and slow negatives) it's not too bad I suppose. Along with shifting excess flab through cycling to work, it's really helped my overall physique I think. Planning to get back into weights also later this month.

Soldato
I have one of the ones above (Argos ones) and they are great - a great push up tool as well.

They claim that you can do dips on them, but you can only drop about 3-4 inches which seems a bit poor to me, however pull ups / pushups it is great for.

Rich

Soldato
Built this a few years ago now:

Maybe looks a bit flimsy but it can and has supported over 100Kg and has seen frequent use. Just have to be careful with any side-to-side movement, which limits you a bit in alternative grips and one-armed work.

What I do like is the unlimited leg clearance. I have a free standing one here and the upright annoys me as I'm used to being able to come all the way down on a rep which means I hang slightly forward of the bar position. A wall in front of it would be the same issue for me. Also, can't do those 90 degree leg ones FF mentioned with the free standing one.

What I'd really like is a straight bar from one wall to the other, but it's not my house! I have in my head a solid mounting design which facilitates a removeable cross bar and I know where I can get a solid bar cut to the correct length. Bested only by an outdoors 2 uprights set in concrete and a steel crossbar design!

Soldato
Looking at how that model sits in the doorframe, it has two obvious disadvantages: it sits lower in the frame meaning you'd have to bend your legs more, maybe a problem if you're tall, and secondly the widest possible grip is no wider than the door frame, meaning you can only go so wide on your pullups. The one in my OP fits in the door frame such that you hang from a higher point and your hands can grip at a point wider than the outside of the door frame.

On the other hand, it has grips for closed palm pullups (or whatever they're called) which mine doesn't, so it depends on what's important to you. It also looks like it has better protection for the door frame than mine.

The Argos one:

Thanks for that. The newer version of yours actually has better protection for the door frame http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/...-Pull-Up-Bar-New-Improved-Design_POWERBAR.htm

Looks like that one is the best one to go for.

Associate
to GoatBotherer re: pull up bar.

Do you have plans that you used to build this, & what sized bolts did you used to secure to the wall? it looks interesting

thanks

Back
Top Bottom