Canon 18-55mm IS replacement

Associate
Looking to replace my kit lens with something a bit more substantial.

Really trying to get into my gig photography (just local bands I know) so ideally need wide angle and speed (low aperture)

I was considering the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 but someone said it was a tad soft?

I was also considering selling the 18-55mm and my old Canon 70-210mm USM and get a Sigma 18-200mm OS that would cover the range of both lenses.

Any recommendations?

budget would ideally be about £300 tops :) (I don't mind 2nd or 3rd hand!)

Soldato
Well the Tamron Non VC is good the VC (like IS) is soft so i would go with that version but might not be fast enough for gig photography.

You might want to consider the 50mm/1.8 but that might be too narrow FoV

Alternative is Sigma 30mm/1.4 slightly wider and faster and might be more suited to your needs

Associate
OP
I already have the 50mm f1.8 and use it a fair bit :) but you're right, its too narrow, esp. on a cropped sensor.

I recently got a Sigma 28mm f2.8 m42 mount from the 'Bay, just awaiting an adapter to turn up. It's manual focus, but that should simply force me to learn to focus well :)

I'd prefer to replace the kit lens with another zoom lens, for a bit more versatility when out and about.

p.s. did you mean the non-VC is better?

Associate
Non-VC is considered better as it's sharper. It's also lighter and cheaper, but of course lacks VC - so it depends if that's important to you. To be honest, on this length of lens I don't think it's necessary. It might get you a few shots that the non-VC wouldn't at the extreme end of handheld shots in low light, but nothing that makes it worth the trade-offs. I took some acceptably sharp shots last week with the non-VC at 1/13s @ 50mm, handheld - it just takes a steady hand.

If you want to upgrade the kit lens anyway then the Tamron 17-50 non-VC is probably the best value replacement (i.e. not the best, but when money is a consideration then it has to be a very strong contender). I recently got one and I'm very pleased with it in almost every regard. The only downside is the noisy auto-focus - not a problem for gig photography though! :p

You can gain an extra stop by going for a prime though. That might be an important consideration for gig photography, but you may be comfortable without this based on experience.

Soldato
As you can see I did mean the non-VC is better; next week I'll be ordering one (hopefully) and at £230 its damn good value for money.

I think if I 'upgrade' from that it'll probably be L / Primes

Soldato
As you can see I did mean the non-VC is better; next week I'll be ordering one (hopefully) and at £230 its damn good value for money.

I think if I 'upgrade' from that it'll probably be L / Primes

I agree there the only reason I see myself changing is for some L glass but that wont be for along time if indeed i ever do.

Associate
i have the tamron non vc and it is tack sharp - easily the sharpest lens in my bag, not sure if i got lucky or thats just how they are but its sharper than my 50mm f1.4 canon at most most apertures (admitedly this is on a crop sensor)

see my flickr for examples. Even down at 2.8 the sharpness is amazing!

this one was at f4.5

5381195901_1f5de99e88_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The Tamron 17-50mm (non VC) I had was a spanking lens. Just been through some of the shots I took when I had mine before I sold off all my gear a while back (getting back in with Nikon this time), and it's very sharp from f4.5 out. A little soft at 2.8, but very useful. More versatile than the 17-40L, and sharper at the longer end of the zoom when compared. I found my 17-40 to be a bit sharper at wider angles, but there really wasn't a lot in it.

It's definitely back on the shortlist of lenses I must buy.

Back
Top Bottom