Cisco 3560-C Series

wij

wij

Associate
Man of Honour
I've had some time with them, they do what the spec sheets suggests (and don't do what it doesn't more tellingly). I don't know what Cisco want for them, I wasn't interested from a technical standpoint so didn't pursue it, it's yet another Cisco layer3 switch with a defective/incomplete IPv6 feature set. To date only the metro ethernet variants match the v4 and v6 feature sets, I'm not sure when or if Cisco are going to work out they need to sort that or loose our business....

wij

wij

Associate
OP
I've had some time with them, they do what the spec sheets suggests (and don't do what it doesn't more tellingly). I don't know what Cisco want for them, I wasn't interested from a technical standpoint so didn't pursue it, it's yet another Cisco layer3 switch with a defective/incomplete IPv6 feature set. To date only the metro ethernet variants match the v4 and v6 feature sets, I'm not sure when or if Cisco are going to work out they need to sort that or loose our business....

Cheers BRS.

We do a lot of temporary IPTV stuff so its mostly multicast IPv4 traffic but what with HD becoming the norm 100mbit access ports are a bit of an issue (at the moment we use lots of 3560-8's). Just the small form factor and passive cooling make it an ideal device to put into small offices or edit suites.

Interesting re the IPv6 spec, I'll have to give them a closer look now as it is our policy to not buy anything now that won't offer a complete feature set.

Shame Juniper don't make any compact switches as the EX2200 series we had on demo made a very good impression...

Man of Honour
Interesting re the IPv6 spec, I'll have to give them a closer look now as it is our policy to not buy anything now that won't offer a complete feature set.

I should be clear, it's partially me moaning about stuff which doesn't affect everyone, my main complaint is the lack of IPv6 BGP support, all these layer3 switches will run v4 BGP and we use that a fair amount for CPE purposes (it's simpler, less resource intensive and just neater than redistributing on aggregation routers to just run BGP from the CPE). If they didn't run BGP at all I'd accept that but it's the lack of BGP for IPv6 while it runs v4 fine which annoys me...

I believe v6 multicast is also missing in action if it matters to you...

I need to make time to verify switching on the SRX platform is actually at wire speed (I understand it is), in which case I suspect Juniper will be getting another chunk of cash soon...

Back
Top Bottom