Cambridge Audio SL30 reviews

Associate
Hey,

Im currently looking into different bookshelf speakers, as im sinking some of my hard earned cash into an AV receiver and a pair of speakers this Friday. My budget is about £170 for my bookshelf speakers and I've been looking at the wharfedale 10.1 and the Cambridge Audio SL30's.
I can't find any reviews on the SL30's though. I'm testing them out Friday but I was trying to find any reviews to see if there is any problem trends with them, but nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with these bookshelf speakers at all?

Thanks
Craig

Associate
Hi, I have the S30s which I think are the same except for the paint finish. I find them very good. Nice and small and give perfectly big sound. See how they sound for yourself but I think you will find them perfectly decent.

Man of Honour
This would be my shortlist and running order

S30 vs SL30 - can I hear a difference and is it worth the extra £40 or can I put that money to better use on some decent stands.

winner of above vs Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1 (down from £250 to 179 so very competitive now) or Wharfedale 10.1

You also have to factor in your source and amp - a budget AV amp may not be the smoothest partner, and compressed MP3 could dull the differences between models negating the benefits of better speakers

...and where the speakers are going to go. S30/SL30 might work better up close to a wall. The others might need more space.

Associate
I have the S30's and they are good, but I find them sometimes to lack a bit of bass. But it all depends on the listener. If you can listen to them before then that will be a help to you.

Associate
OP
The AV amp I'm buying at the same time is the onkyo 608. So the receiver won't let me down. I did wonder if the S30's and the SL30 had much difference. Well I will using tracks that have been ripped from CD at the highest quality possible. Maybe a couple of tracks from spotify that have been synced to its highest possible quality. So hopefully the tracks don't let me down. I really like the look of the the wharfedales 10.1's they will go with my whole set up :D
Well thanks for the input guys. I can't wait to test these speakers on Friday.
I'm going to have a gander at the mordaunt shot avianos as well.

Associate
I was in the exact same position as you earlier this week.
I compared the Wharfedales, the avianos, sl30s and dali lektor, and it came down to the bass of the avianos, or the midrange of the SL30s.
Ended up buying the SL30s, and am very happy with them (but then I have a sub to fill in the low end).
Always best to listen for yourself, and decide what you personally think is best. Take some music along to play too.

Back
Top Bottom