Samsung .... RMA taking ages! Is this normal?

Soldato
I sent a Samsung F3 drive back to **** on the 07th Febuary and they recieved it on the 10th Febuary.

The status reads: We are currently awaiting a replacement from our supplier.

Tbh I feel if *** had sold me a true european drive then Rexo/Samsung would have accepted the drive in for rma. I was forced to rma with **** and I could have bought a new drive in the time I have been waiting for this thing to come back! I am annoyed because the drive was 5 minutes old and DOA so I never even got to use it. The last time I rma'd to Samsung the turn around was a matter of days!

There is plenty of new stock selling on the webpage so there isnt an issue regarding that so whats the beef? Is there some kind of issue regarding something to do with the drive I returned? Soon as I put in the serial number on the Samsung wbsite I was presented with "Drive out of service area, contact supplier"
A google search says the drive hasnt got a true warranty and it is up to the supplier. So basically the warranty isnt worth jack if the company goes under! I might have to start looking into buying retail boxed drives from now on.

I apologise if any of my facts are wrong and the company in question have never let me down before so this is a bit annoying.

Associate
I returned an F3 some time ago myself and in my account page it still reads: We are currently awaiting a replacement from our supplier. Thing is the replacement drive did actually turn up some time ago also. RMA received 20 Nov and replacement sent 02 Dec. So I think your best bet is simply to ring the supplier and ask where your drive has got to.

Associate
I had a samsung F3 and failed after 4 days of installing it about a month ago. Sorted RMA out and took 24 days to receive a new one!

REXO said they didn't have any in stock.

New one received and working.

Took ages

Associate
I'm in same boat, i bought the 2TB (think its the F4 model), within 1 month, it popped its clogs (luckily my data recovery software would recover 1.3tb of movies off it over a 2 day period!)...
Sent drive on 4th Feb....
Spoke with Rexo again yesterday who say Samsung havent sent them any 2TB drives as yet, they only have 1.5tb and 1tb's in stock.......

So i rang samsung UK and told the lady my situation, she gave me a moby number (not answered as yet) for a guy who deals with HDD's for Samsung ?? will try again shortly to see what the score is, as 28 days or longer even is a joke for a warranty turn around time!!!!!

Associate
that sucks I returned a WD drive and I was extremely impressed, sent it to a uk address (didn't even have the receipt or anything was 2yrs old) and received a new drive a week later from the US in a huge box that had foam to fit 10 drives. Must have cost them a fortune but i have to say i was impressed with the top notch service.

Haven't had to deal with samsung but this kind of makes me want to not buy one. (i have a samsung 1TB drive but that's it - i usually stick to seagate/WD)

Can't type for toffee
Don
DoA ?

Should've returned as a DSR return rather than a RMA like.
If the place thats starred out is the place Im thinking of they seem to have been getting a bit of a poor rep recently for taking the **** with their RMA procedures

Soldato
OP
I was told to send it back to Samsung! So off I trundle to the website and find the drive isnt quite what I thought it was. Had to contact the seller and then had to return it to them. I wish they just gave me a new one, I am seriousley thinking about buying elsewhere and then only a brand I know has a good warranty return service, like WD. I had to return a greenpower drive and it took 5days from sending to the courier at my door. That is dam fast :)

Im not really happy about the time its taking with this samsung and I will live with that. But what I cannot accept is the fact the drive was not a true european model. I was sold something that appears on the surface to have no warranty whatsoever and it was down to the seller to honour it. I will say now the company has never ever let me down before and they are not just some random place either. I have always returned to them when buying all sorts of hardware.

Associate
my replacement 2TB drive turned up yesterday, 35 days it took to receive my replacement.... As its Samsung, it will now mean from a personal and a business scale that anything i buy will NOT be of the Samsung brand.... that is utter dire service! :(

Soldato
OP
Well im glad its not just me over reacting about this! My plans having 4 1tb drives will now be shelved in favour of a different brand.

The only problem I can see is will WD and Maxtor follow and do the same thing?

Hitachi, well they are now in the hands of WD... I was going to buy Hitachi the other day but im unsure now...

Soldato
OP
my replacement 2TB drive turned up yesterday, 35 days it took to receive my replacement.... As its Samsung, it will now mean from a personal and a business scale that anything i buy will NOT be of the Samsung brand.... that is utter dire service! :(

So what kind of drive did they send back? That is what im really interested in seeing as mine was a grey jobbie... I am expecting a grey F1 instead of the F3. I will be really gutted if its an F1!

Permabanned
Back when I used REXO for a T166, I got a replacement in under 48 hours.

I dont get why retailers in the UK dont sell the correct drives that would be covered directly by Samsung anymore.

Soldato
Back when I used REXO for a T166, I got a replacement in under 48 hours.

I dont get why retailers in the UK dont sell the correct drives that would be covered directly by Samsung anymore.

What i cant understand is the Drive is under 12 month old so why cant they just send a new one to me and old one back to samsung. The old company i use to deal with would do it that way so i think i will go back to them for hard drives as they replace very quick.

Associate
Crikey! Erm....
I got my drive from ******.com . its the HD401 drive, which i think is the F4 spinpoint? 2TB....

The one they sent back says HD401 on it, 2TB.... but the receipt inside shows the drive cost $214.59 ???? So the Rexo place said they were waiting for stock from Samsung, does that mean samsung ship the drive from the states, as opposed to there own storage/distribution centre here in the UK ?

Soldato
OP
I have some interesting info that might be of help to people here!

I got my drive back today direct from ****. They seem to have a thing for using weak boxes as yet again its nearly flat, DPD must stand on them? Anyway the drive looks ok as it was returned in a clam shell case (the original drive was in anti static bag) and a nice layer of fat bubblewrap.

So first off I nosed over the drive, im looking for anything that says recertified or repaired... nothing! the drive looks new.. hmmm I wonder if it is and they just sent me a brand new one... The plastic clam shell has a sticker saying rma on it tho!

So I head straight to the samsung site and slap in the serial number, straight off the bat it reports "Out of service area" aRGHHHHH :mad:
Not letting this beat me I wanted to find out exactly where these dam things came from I sat there ready to check every single country lol... I struck gold with Argentina which reports a full warranty! YAY... well I hope anyway... Can we send drives back direct to argentina? I wonder... it might well save some time or might not.

Soldato
Did all mine online, even though for some reason the RMA links dont work from any PC I have at home, so had to do it all when at work, took around 2 weeks for an F1 to be replaced with a F3.

Anything up to 28 days is "normal" for anend user to manufacturer RMA, if it had beena DOA drive and I sent it back to the retailer, I would expect a like for like replacement to be either cross shipped, or shipped as soon as they recieve the broken one etc.

I like samsung laptops/tv's and HDDs but I havent had to deal much with the RMA service, so that hasnt affected my purchasing of their products, but it may in future if anything I was doing was actually time critical with it, but as it is, during the two weeks of waiting I was waiting on other cables to re do my entire storage set up so I didnt mind at all.

Back
Top Bottom