spec me a Sci-Fi book,

Soldato
I have read the and liked

enders saga
old mans war series
all the ring world books

I tried to read but hated (well part read)

hyperion series
Foundation series

any suggestions for further readings?

I keep looking at the top 10 /20 / 50 / 100 sci-fi book lists but nothing jumps out and says read me...

Associate
I found the "Void Trilogy" by Peter Hamilton to be totally over-rated. First book was goodish but it bloated into this convoluted space opera. I would not really count it as sci-fi.

"A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge is a highly acclaimed hard sci-fi book, which I have not read but always been meaning to pick up.

If you are not into that kind of thing, then I would recommend one of the Iain M Banks Culture novels, or "Consider Phlebas" by the same author. These combine space-opera with sci-fi.

If you would like a series, I would personally recommend "The Gap Series" by Stephen Donaldson. It has been a long time since I read it, but I absolutely loved it - the first book was so-so (but compelling), but its after that where it kicks into high gear.

Associate
+1 for all of Peter Hamilton, real page turners and good meaty sized books to get into.

Also Alastair Reynolds is good if you want to have a few quicker books, really enjoyed his spin on Sci Fi..

Associate
I really enjoyed The Time Ships, by Stephen Baxter. It's a 'sequel' to HG Wells' Time Machine, and is much more expansive and sci-fi, but has a real Victorian feel to it.

My wife read it and found it to be too long and a bit tedious though, so what do I know. :rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry, I should have checked the books you read before.

Last edited:
Associate
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester

Infact you could do a lot worse than take a look at the Sci-fi Masterworks series, I've picked up ones on a whim and really enjoyed them.

Associate
Something by Michael Marshall Smith, if you like short stories.

I'd also recommend Vernor Vinge - The Peace War, Ungoverned and Marooned in Realtime, i found easier to get into than the fire upon the deep.

Greg Bear - Eon.

I've read a lots of old pulp sci-fi recently and old nebula award winning books, check out past Nebula winners and runners up for some ideas as a lot of them are gems.

I quite liked Manhatten Transfer by John E Stith as well, bit of an old pulp sci-fi novel but still good fun and a quick read.

Soldato
Read Dune - Frank Herbert yet?

After that,

Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama
The Culture - Iain M Banks
Hainish cycle - Ursula Le Guin
Lensman - E E Smith

Loads more...

Last edited:
Soldato
David Weber - Honor Harrington Series. Free and legal eBooks available here:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/09-AtAllCostsCD/AtAllCostsCD/

In fact all his series are brilliant.

... apart from his latest book Out of the Dark which was really, really poor. I love the rest of his stuff though and would agree with them.

Other suggestions I would add:
The Vorkosigan series of books by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Serrano series of books by Elizabeth Moon

And some of the Iain M Banks books, (I really like Excession but some of the newer stories I found a bit heavy going)

Soldato
"A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge is a highly acclaimed hard sci-fi book, which I have not read but always been meaning to pick up.

Zones of Thought is the new edition which contains both "A fire upon the deep" and "A deepness in the sky", well worth reading.

Soldato
Bank's Culture books
Asher's Polity universe books (although the internal chronology v.s. publication chronology is all skew wiff)
Sprawl trilogy by Gibson

P.S The Cantos is great space opera, gets more outrageous with each book!

Permabanned
Dune....Frank Herbert.

Earth....David Brin.

Forge of God....Greg Bear.

Eon (The Way series)....Greg Bear.

Uplift....David Brin.

Earth Abides....George Stewart.

O-Zone....Paul Theroux.

Rama series....Arthur C. Clarke.

Consider Phlebas (Culture)....Iain M. Banks.

Mars....Ben Bova.

to mention just a few.

Soldato
OP
thanks for the suggestions I tried Peter F Hamilton Pandoras star I'd rate it 5/10 great but only half a story, also half the book is just total rubbish..... (the other half about the alien stuff is good though) - I am obsessive I buy audio books and listened to them in 1.5 / 2x speed.. (2x speed takes a lot of concentration)

about half way thru dreaming void getting bored but keeping going in case it gets good..

Back
Top Bottom