ASUS PA246Q - 24" IPS 1,920 x 1,200

Soldato
'afternoon guys,

I saw this post on Engadget today...

ASUS' 24.1-inch PA246Q P-IPS LCD now covering 98 percent of Adobe RGB said:
This here monitor surfaced months ago, but it looks as if ASUS has just now started to ship it stateside. As far as 24-inch monitors go, this one's fairly well specced, and it's got a mighty tempting price tag to boot. The PA246Q is a 24.1-inch P-IPS LCD, complete with a six millisecond response time, tilt / swivel stand, a pair of USB sockets, an integrated 7-in-1 card reader, 400 nits of brightness and a 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. It's also capable of covering 98 percent of the Adobe RGB spectrum, so all but the most particular of creative professionals should be duly satisfied with color reproduction. You'll also get a native 1,920 x 1,200 screen resolution, 178 degree viewing angles, DVI / HDMI / DisplayPort / VGA inputs and support for a VESA wall mount. She's all yours for $499.99 -- hit the source link if you just can't resist.
asuspa246q.jpg

Source: Newegg

Anyone here seen any reviews of it or seen them for sale over here? $500 should come in a bit cheaper than the Dell U2410 at £469.99....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Want. Why 24.1 inches though? Is it actually any bigger than a standard 24 inch monitor? Have we been calling them 24 inch monitors in error all this time :p?

Associate
well so that they can end up on the >24" section of some e-tailers?

Looks like i might get two of those or two dell 27"... oh the choices I have to make.....

Soldato
OP
Just been comparing this with the Dell U2410 on paper....

Dell U2410
  • 24" 1920 x 1200
  • H-IPS panel
  • DVI x2 , D-sub, HDMI, DisplayPort, component, composite
  • $450 / £470

ASUS PA246Q
  • 24" 1920 x 1200
  • P-IPS panel
  • DVI, D-sub, HDMI, DisplayPort
  • $500 / £???

Hmm... Wonder what ASUS' policy on dead pixels and tinting is like compared with Dell's...

yep, the panels are actually 24.1" diagonally, but they've always been referred to as 24" models :)

You heard anything of the ASUS PA246Q or getting one in to test?
Looks like a good competitor for the Dell U2410. Unless Dell are about to replace the U2410 with something new and shiny.... <cough LED backlit cough>

Man of Honour
not yet, although i've been in touch with them to discuss. i think it's pending launch and availability and could be a couple of months off

Associate
Just a word of warning for when these hit European shores.

I picked one up yesterday (based in Canada) and am not impressed. So much so, it's going back over the weekend.

Two dead/stuck green pixels right in the middle of the screen is the first issue, and this has been COMMONLY reported among the first batch of panels we're seeing over here. Asus don't want to know about it unless it's 3 or greater, so not a good start.

Also the black depth leaves a little to be desired and viewing angles seem shoddy at least on my panel. Viewing from anything other than dead centre in a dark room is like looking through fog. I'm not a display expert so couldn't even speculate as to why this is, but I can only report as to what my eyes tell me :p Maybe I have a faulty unit, who knows.

The default AdobeRGB colour setting which is apparently most accurate seemed a little washed out to me, but this was moving from a crazy-vibrant TN panel screen so I'm sure I would learn to love it given time.

Having said all that, user feedback from people who know a heck of a lot more about displays than I do have been largely positive in the US/Canada so far, with people touting it as a worth contender to the Dell U2410. Guess we will wait and see some professional reviews in the next month or two, but for my part I'll be having my money back if only for those annoying green pixels!!

Associate
Just a word of warning for when these hit European shores.

I picked one up yesterday (based in Canada) and am not impressed. So much so, it's going back over the weekend.

Two dead/stuck green pixels right in the middle of the screen is the first issue, and this has been COMMONLY reported among the first batch of panels we're seeing over here. Asus don't want to know about it unless it's 3 or greater, so not a good start.

Also the black depth leaves a little to be desired and viewing angles seem shoddy at least on my panel. Viewing from anything other than dead centre in a dark room is like looking through fog. I'm not a display expert so couldn't even speculate as to why this is, but I can only report as to what my eyes tell me :p Maybe I have a faulty unit, who knows.

The default AdobeRGB colour setting which is apparently most accurate seemed a little washed out to me, but this was moving from a crazy-vibrant TN panel screen so I'm sure I would learn to love it given time.

Having said all that, user feedback from people who know a heck of a lot more about displays than I do have been largely positive in the US/Canada so far, with people touting it as a worth contender to the Dell U2410. Guess we will wait and see some professional reviews in the next month or two, but for my part I'll be having my money back if only for those annoying green pixels!!

Interesting, hopefully baddass will be able to give us updated information *hint hint*

Early google products listings say in excess of £460, which is an absolute joke.

Last edited:
Associate
The Asus is selling at $509.00 in Vancouver Retail Store. The U2410 retails at $529.99 and the HP Zr24W sells at $450. All in CDN $ and at walk in stores with 1 month return policies.
I purchased my U2410, one month ago, on sale at $350 CDN. I like the unit plus its numerous inputs.
It would require a series of exceptional reviews to outsell the Dell and HP. Plus the resale on the latter two is far superior to Asus because of their 3 year panel warranty. Asus does not have a one dead pixel return policy.

Associate
These sales do not happen frequently. Plus we pay 12% HST (VAT). This 12% has led to the ouster of the current Government and we are having a referendum on whether we will accept the tax. Our gas is now $1.10 per liter. Things are damn expensive here. :(

Associate
These sales do not happen frequently. Plus we pay 12% HST (VAT). This 12% has led to the ouster of the current Government and we are having a referendum on whether we will accept the tax. Our gas is now $1.10 per liter. Things are damn expensive here. :(

Right, versus 20% UK VAT :p, £1.30 per litre fuel 2 CAD / 2.11 USD.

I think you're complaining to the wrong people!

Permabanned

You got it easy mate.

1 UK L of petrol is avg £1,35 around me.

thats £5.40ish per 1 US gallon

Uk to Cad convertsion is 1.58CAD per pound

5.4 x 1.58 = 8.52 CAD

1 US gallon is approx 4 Liters

8.52 / 4 is 2.13.

So... You would have to pay $2.13 dollers per L of fuel to match out costs.

Also we have much higher fuel tx and VAT then yourselfs so you would need to pay slightly more.

Stop moaning

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom