• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2500K And Gaming Problem

Associate
OP
what games are you getting the problem with?

sata ports set to AHCI mode?

Any FPS game i try im getting. Crysis 2 demo, BFBC2 & Counter strike source so far. Yes my sata ports are also set to AHCI. Iv tried every component change now and still the same.

I guess it has to be a bios setting or a driver problem but i have a clean install of windows 7.

Associate
Are these problems normal with sandybridge cpu? I just purchased the radon allosaur overclock bundle,If its gonna have problems with stuttering think i may cancel.

I read on another forum to turn off hyperthreading but how much of a performance decrease this is i aint got a clue.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope I have not had a single issue with my SB gaming set up. And I have used most of the different cards to test the performance including cross fire and Sli.

That is why this thread is so puzzling for me. I suspect that drivers or some conflict in hardware settings is causing this. But not sure how to go about identifying the problem. The fact that prime running removes the issue. Is just mind boggling.

Caporegime
Did you try with Vsync disabled, as in certain games thats exactly what i got, Just Cause 2 being the worst in that moving in a straight line everything was fine but turning produced a lot of slowdown/stutter, without vsync the problem just wasn't there, turn it off in game and remember to check the CCC just incase you have vsync forced in there aswell. I'd also try with just vsync enabled in game, and vsync forced from the control panel.

THeres certainly some oddities lately I'm finding, Nvidia/AMD and various setups have strange stuttering no ones really found a cause of, while Vsync worked for me in Just Cause, other games can have a little of the same issue while plenty have entirely no issues.

Associate
OP
Nope I have not had a single issue with my SB gaming set up. And I have used most of the different cards to test the performance including cross fire and Sli.

That is why this thread is so puzzling for me. I suspect that drivers or some conflict in hardware settings is causing this. But not sure how to go about identifying the problem. The fact that prime running removes the issue. Is just mind boggling.

Iv done more tests with prime95 running and that actually does not stop the problem, maybe just had a good few mins at the time prime was started. Im puzzled myself, my last ditch effort would be to try a different type of motherboard and not the asus one. Surely cant be a CPU issue.

Did you try with Vsync disabled, as in certain games thats exactly what i got, Just Cause 2 being the worst in that moving in a straight line everything was fine but turning produced a lot of slowdown/stutter, without vsync the problem just wasn't there, turn it off in game and remember to check the CCC just incase you have vsync forced in there aswell. I'd also try with just vsync enabled in game, and vsync forced from the control panel.

THeres certainly some oddities lately I'm finding, Nvidia/AMD and various setups have strange stuttering no ones really found a cause of, while Vsync worked for me in Just Cause, other games can have a little of the same issue while plenty have entirely no issues.

Iv tried with vsync off and on. Weirdly enough if i have vsync off in BFBC2 i get even worse stutters while flying the chopper over buildings its even more pronounced.

Dru

Dru

Associate
It seems unlikely though, given you had zero problems when you first got the system. Things only started freaking out after changing your mobo and what-not. Although anything is worth a shot I suppose.

Associate
OP
Update :

Iv just tested my PC without any graphics drivers and its still playing exactly the same as with drivers so does this mean the drivers are not getting detected ?

I right click my computer and devices, then display and unistall drivers. I try to install the ATI drivers and then it asks me to restart but when i do my display has changed resolution and i dont have CCC no more.

Also i noticed at the end of installing the ATI drivers i see it says installing VGA compatible device and its searching windows update for this. Is that normal or should it not be detecting that from the drivers ?

Many thanks.

Associate
OP
11.2 the latest one i believe.

JFYI

I get these stutters even during minecraft game and i know this is not heavy on the graphics i doubt :/

Last edited:
Associate
I am starting to come to the conclusion that for some reason your Graphic card is not compatible.

Do you have a mate you could borrow any other Vendors card to compare? nVidea rather than another AMD card.

Last edited:

Dru

Dru

Associate
I think he mentioned trying another card on the previous page without any luck. Did you get that other mobo today sas? Did it help?

Last edited:
Associate
Yes he did say that he had tried another AMD card, quite correct. Cheers thanks.

Might be worth it to try a older driver. 10.10 was a very good driver and I think it does support your card.

Associate
OP
Iv not long got back from OcUK

Got a new Asus P8P67 Pro *Revision 3* motherboard and a MSI 580 GTX

Just finishing off a fresh winodws 7 install just to be on the safe side and then downloading a couple of games and will do some testing to report back with.

Thanks a lot for the help so far here :)

Associate
Iv read about quite a lot of people on sandybridge having stutter problems in games so looks like it might be CPU related :(

What makes you think yours is your PSU ? Is it a low wattage ?

Complete and utter rubbish. Sandybridge cpu's do not have a stutter issue. Have you tried putting your 6950 back to stock?

Soldato
Complete and utter rubbish. Sandybridge cpu's do not have a stutter issue. Have you tried putting your 6950 back to stock?

do a quick google search, there are several people having random stuttering issues in games on their new SB builds, so to say its rubbish is harsh, just because lots of people dont have issues, does not mean some setups wont have some. they have also said they have tried a different gfx card to eliminate that, so the 6950 being OC'd would not be the problem.
after a bit of reading, there is an issue with HDAudio, have you disabled that and see if the problem goes?

Associate
OP

Yes i have tried it at stock i mentioned that in my above posts. Still does not help.

do a quick google search, there are several people having random stuttering issues in games on their new SB builds, so to say its rubbish is harsh, just because lots of people dont have issues, does not mean some setups wont have some. they have also said they have tried a different gfx card to eliminate that, so the 6950 being OC'd would not be the problem.
after a bit of reading, there is an issue with HDAudio, have you disabled that and see if the problem goes?

I will try that if after testing on the nvidia card fails mate, would not affect me really as im using a USB headset.

Thanks for the tip.

Associate
OP
Update :

New revision motherboard and Nvidia 580 GTX working all fine on crysis 2 demo, thats the game that was showing most signifficant signs of a problem along with BFBC2. Looks like all is good for now. Cant untill tomorrow so i can test BFBC2.

So far im happy and 1day looks like you might have been right about that compatibility problem.

Will post tomorrow when tested BFBC2.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom