good rj45 crimp tool?

Caporegime
Before we begin... I know network cable is cheap to buy pre-made. But the plugs on the ends would mean drilling large holes in the wall to feed them through. And, well, I've already drilled small holes :p

I'd like to get a good crimp tool with cable stripper, around £15 - £20.

I hear the ratchet type are the ones to go for, or the scissor type.

Amazon do a couple for £4 and I'm going to assume they're complete rubbish :p

Any recommendations? OcUK don't sell em, sadly.

Soldato
I have a ratchet type tool but I've also used a small screwdriver before I got hole of it and all my terminations turned out ok.

It's not like you are going to be doing hundreds (or are you?) so the cheaper will probably be just fine. You may need to check them over and make adjustments with a small flat screwdriver if it's not up to standard.

I must say though the ratchet one I have is good but it was bought by my old employer from RS components for a pretty penny. I must have fitted oh at least 5 connectors with it over the last 10 years.

Permabanned
I use a set of these, scissor type.

C6-CRIMP-OE.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Had a quick look at some of the Paladin crimpers, and... they look identical - and I mean identical - to the Hanlong crimpers.

I suspect more re-branding is afoot...

It seems this Hanlong company makes tools for just about everybody.

wij

wij

Associate
Had a quick look at some of the Paladin crimpers, and... they look identical - and I mean identical - to the Hanlong crimpers.

I suspect more re-branding is afoot...

It seems this Hanlong company makes tools for just about everybody.

I think Paladin do their own in some cases but yes a few of their range seems similar, but that particular one certainly isn't a Hanlong design (the ratchet design seems to be unique to them).

Infact I've seen that particular model re badged by a lot of people - Blackbox for example sell them as their own.

At the end of the day though I'd agree with what has been said above, if you're only doing a few then a £20 tool will suit you just fine. I terminate probably hundreds of plugs a month when we're busy and I find the cheap ones just don't last very long!

RJH

RJH

Associate
I bought one from a well known auction site for £4.00 including delivery - its brilliant - cuts, strips and crimps and appears very well made. Maybe not for professional use but home use, excellent. pm me for a link.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom