Win 7 SP1 gets dated?

Associate
Ever since I installed SP1 my PC has been running A LOT SLOWER, it's more sluggish in every manner; it's like I only have 1GB of RAM.

This happened to a friend of mine, when he uninstalled SP1 his PC decided it would be a good idea to commit suicide. Luckily he had everything backed up recently and could easily wipe his SSD and do a clean install.

I really want to uninstall SP1 as it's done nothing but frustrate me; although I'm very concerned about the consequences

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how have you resolved it?

Soldato
I tried SP1 again today and it still didn't work. This time however it seems to have screwed things up a heck of a lot more than last time. Once I got the System Restore sorted I've found that Paint.NET crashes immediately on load up. I can't uninstall it nor repair it nor can I install it a fresh over the current install. I get the same error everytime. When I logon to Windows now I get an error message for IAStorIco.exe or whatever the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program is. Same goes for that as with Paint.NET. I guess I'll have to try a full manual deletion of both programs and hope I get rid of every single file relating to them.

One thing I found interesting was that when I downloaded Intel's RST it caused several error message boxes but still carried on through the install. I got the same error message as with Paint.NET but this time it referred to the .NET setup. I'm wondering if I need to clean up .NET and everything else will fall into place? I really don't want to have to re-install Windows for this. :)

I did fix one other problem, when I restarted my PC after doing a system restore the login screen was black with just the arrow. I found that logging in made the screen appear and Windows was fine after that. In the end I just removed the graphics card from the Device Manager list, made sure I deleted the drivers. Reinstalling the drivers sorted that one out! Phew! :eek:

Soldato
Any ideas? I've removed .net 4 and restarted then re-installed it. That didn't work. I've tried some stuff on the Paint.NET forums using a tool called Windows Install Cleanup which gets rid of links to the Paint.NET files which you then manually delete and re-install Paint.NET. That hasn't worked either. I've used CCleaner to remove all registry traces. That hasn't worked. I'm getting ever so close to reinstalling Windows again. Can anyone suggest something I can try to fix this problem? :)

Soldato
Have you got anything logged in the event viewer? That's one of my first ports of call when I have an annoying issue like this.
I had a look at that at it and it isn't running. :D I get the following error message:

Code:
MMC could not create the snap-in.

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Event Viewer

CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

I can't even see "Event Viewer" in the services list. :o

Soldato
Have a go and try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826282, but be sure to make a note of what it is initially, in case it does anything bad. :o
Cheers. :) Slight problem. The text that that link says to add is already there. :D

%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

Soldato
Drokk it :o These issues can never be easy, can they? Does the folder actually exist on your drive? There's another link here, with exactly the same problem, of particular note is:

4. Please run the following command to register all of the DLLs:
C:\windows\system32 for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

it may be worth a read, see if anything there can help.

Soldato
Yep there's a folder called wbem in C:\Windows\system32. :) Drokk too right! :D

Will have a look at in a bit. Going to have a bit of tea and contemplate reinstalling W7. :eek:

Soldato
Drokk it :o These issues can never be easy, can they? Does the folder actually exist on your drive? There's another link here, with exactly the same problem, of particular note is:

it may be worth a read, see if anything there can help.
Tried all that. No go. :( Event Viewer is still not working. I'm getting closer to just wanting to wipe Windows and re-install.

Soldato
Finally got SP1 on. Had guys from Microsoft teking over PC to get this done. In the end had to run windows disk from windows to go over the top of my installation. Then after that managed to get SP1 on. Only problem now is my internet connection is slower than slow. My 20meg connection is only getting less than 1meg on them download speed checks.
SP1 has been nothing but a pain in the back side and now I need to do a fresh install. Well done ****ecrosoft

Soldato
Gah, that may be the only option :( Just seems so extreme. You could just try a repair of Windows from the install DVD, as a final measure.
Yeah it is extreme but since Paint.NET won't install, and wouldn't run, uninstall or repair before I manually removed it and the same applied to Intel's Rapid Storage Technology program I think it is time for it. Then when I realised Event Viewer wasn't working, something I wasn't aware of, and then late last night I found out that FileHipppo's update checker wasn't running for the same reasons as Paint.NET and Intel's RST I think a re-install is the best option.

A repair install would just fix the Windows files wouldn't it? Any documents and files I have on the C: drive would stay there wouldn't they?

Soldato
No problems on three PC's here. I assume your Windows 7 installation pre-SP1 was full and not vlite'd or modified in any way?

The only problems I've had in the past were down to drivers. If you internet connection is running slow then try and update the NIC drivers and ensure that everything is updated prior to installing SP1.

M.

Soldato
A repair install would just fix the Windows files wouldn't it? Any documents and files I have on the C: drive would stay there wouldn't they?

Afaik; a repair only modifies the Windows system files, registry and configuration files. You shouldn't lose any user data, but it's not worth taking a chance and having the repair delete it by accident (or deliberately!), so I would take a back-up anyway. :D

The last time I used it was on XP, and it worked perfectly then. :) Or was it a reinstall over the top of one I messed up? I forget. :o

Soldato
Afaik; a repair only modifies the Windows system files, registry and configuration files. You shouldn't lose any user data, but it's not worth taking a chance and having the repair delete it by accident (or deliberately!), so I would take a back-up anyway. :D

The last time I used it was on XP, and it worked perfectly then. :) Or was it a reinstall over the top of one I messed up? I forget. :o
True. I'll copy stuff I want to keep to another disk. :)

I might try SP1 again immediately after the repair install and see if it works then. If not I'll do another repair install. :p

Back
Top Bottom