Cooking with Haircut: Pizza

Soldato
OP
Awesome, that's lunch sorted for today – thanks!

All I have in the house in the way of flour is the strong wholemeal I usually use for bread – will this work for the base? I'm not too bothered about authenticity as long as it tastes nice :cool:

You'll want strong flour certainly, but I often find bread doughs with 100% wholemeal flour can be too dense (If I bake wholemeal bread I'll probably use 50% wholemeal flour to 50% white for example)
I'm sure it will taste good, but you probably won't get the same puffiness around the edge of the base.

Soldato
Pizza looks good.

Another vote for using a pizza stone though. I have something similar which is an aluminium pizza tray, whack it in the oven at 230degC and when you dough is ready place the dish on a gas hob low/med heat to keep the dish hot then into the oven for 9-11 mins.

Soldato
Well here's my attempt! Topped with red onion, ham, salami, sweet red pepper, mushroom, capers, mozzarella, cheddar, and tinned plum tomatoes, tomato pureé and sundried tomato pesto for the sauce, with some dried oregano and basil thrown in for good measure.

Made the base with about a 2:1 ratio of strong wholemeal to plain white flour, plus some salt, sugar, and olive oil. Turned out pretty well I think, though it probably needed more cheese and less topping :)

2dl8xnr.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can anyone recommend a pizza stone / tray ? I make pizzas often and its just not getting the desired affect that im after.

Why do you need a stone? The whole point of starting this thread was to demonstrate an alternative cooking method that gives you the desired effect (and better IMO) without using a stone.

Back
Top Bottom