LCD Monitor Problem!

Associate
Hey all, first time poster so I apologise if I've put this in the wrong place!

I have a DGM L-2362WD 23" LCD monitor I originally bought from another company (so not OCUKs problem). There's been a bit of a mess with the thing (if you want the full readup you can visit the topic I posted on the Consumer Action Group site here) and I'm looking for some advice.

While using my computer the area in the bottom-centre of the screen started flickering. I ignored it thinking it was just some random intermittent thing. Then the day after it promptly flickered and stayed off, as you can see from this photo:

http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chris/faultdistant.JPG

A week later a second area of the screen did exactly the same:

http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chris/newfault.JPG

I've contacted the manufacturer to get it fixed and they asked me to send them the photos I've just linked you. They then responded to say their Head Engineer had looked at them and decided it was "pressure marks" and therefore customer damage and not covered under the warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with these things who could give me their opinion based on the photos? Apart from the fact I find it highly dubious that a Head Engineer could successfully rule out faulty components based on a photo, as I've said I sat and watched both areas flicker and die. No pressure has been applied by me to the monitor, which was just over a month old (it was a replacement so it may be B stock I suppose) when the issue first arose. No-one else has access to the monitor and it has been unboxed and sat on myd esk since receiving it.

A few places I've looked at on the net seem to indicate it might be an invertor problem or a CCFL problem, but I've not found any pictures similar to mine that I can say mimic my situation.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Soldato
/That's a tough one, any obvious impact damage usually results in a very blatent black mess that will spread if you press the screen.

A ccfl (the florecent light which illuminates the screen) will generally either fail completely resulting in a black screen, or go very dim across the whole screen.

Also the inverter is a very simple bit of kit that changes and regulates the power supply to the panel, generally speaking it either works, or you will get no picture at all.

My best opinion, is that there is a manufacturing fault with the actual pannel. The light seems to be diffused in a way that I've not seen before.

Can you post some better pictures with the screen turned off, specifically to show if there is any pressure damage (any gaps between the screen and the plastic surround)?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply mattyfez :)

I've just run a finger around the bottom edge of the screen where the panel meets the plastic surround. There is no real gap in the middle of the screen where it seems to fit extremely well, but at either side there is a gap wide enough to just about get a fingernail in. As I said, this is on both sides, the failed right side and the still-working left side at the bottom of the monitor.

I shall endeavour to take some pictures tomorrow to see if I can illustrate what I mean.

I just run my finger around the whole screen while thinking about it actually. At the top it fits as tight as the bottom-centre does, with a fingernail gap appearing about 1" above the bottom on the right side and nearly half way up on the left side. Weird.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do tomorrow :)

Associate
OP
Well I don't know if these are going to be any good for you because they're out of focus... Ufortunately the camera we have is stuck on the long shot setting and can't be changed to close-up because someone damaged the camera, and my phone one doesn't have a flash so just gives basically a black picture!

http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chris/close1.JPG
http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chris/close2.JPG
http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chris/close3.JPG
http://aylan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chris/close4.JPG

Soldato
Hi, just read your topic on CAG, and I tend
to agree with the general opinion on there, the nature of the issue suggests its faulty rather than abused or damaged, i can see nothing to suggest otherwise from the pictures, so it makes me wonder how they (the manufacturer) have come to their opinion, they certainly didn't attempt to explain in the correspondence, "it's pressure damage i can tell " is not really an acceptable diagnosis, how can they tell!?

I would get back to ts and see what they say on the matter, a bit more pressure from them might get you a result, if the manufacturer refuses to budge, it might be a small claims job..

Associate
OP
Thanks again mattyfez. I've sent off another email to DGM, this time to the woman who's the manager of the customer services thing from what I can gather. We shall see wha kind of response I get, I'll be sure to keep you informed :)

Associate
OP
Just to keep you in the loop, I didn't receive a reply from the manager at DGM, so I have now referred the matter to Trading Standards and am waiting for them to get back to me :)

EDIT: Received a response from TS today, they've contacted DGM and are looking into it for me!

Last edited:
Associate
Xerihae, I'm interested to hear about your fault. My monitor, the exact same as yours developed the same problem at about the same time. It has been in for repair for 30 days now. Looks like a common problem and DGM's repair service is the absolute worst thing in the world.

I'm very angry. It's spent over an eighth of its life back with them!

Associate
I have had similar poor experiences in the past with a certain national retail computer chain that employs wanna be techies that actually know nothing.

Forget phone calls, do everything (as you have) in writing. I would send them a letter asking for a refund and failure to do so will result in you issuing a county claims summons against them for the cost of the monitor and all consequential losses.

If no joy in 7 days, download an N1 form by googling small claims court, fill it out, and post it recorded delivery. It only costs £30 to take someone to small claims court and if you give 7 days notice, they will have to pay it back in the damages awarded to you.

You stand nothing to lose even if you go to court and lose. you dont get costs awarded to you, you just lose the £30. Most businesses will settle pretty quickly as a) it is cheaper than them hiring a brief and b)if they don't comply you can potentially have their assets frozen until they settle which means they can't trade.

Disclaimer , This is just my opinion and one should always seek advice from the CAB, trading standards, solicitor or other expert in law.

Soldato
I would say you have pretty strong case, and would agree with the above.

However, before you actually file a court case, you need to send them notice of "intended prosecution" which is just that, it's a letter saying that you will take them to court. It's quite important you do this, as the judge will be satisfied that you have given them opportunity to rectify the situation.

Give them 30 days in your letter, then file your n1/online claim.

Back
Top Bottom