worth paying extra for a supposedly good mouse?

Soldato
I desperately need a new mouse.

Playing L4D2 earlier with a few mates, we're in cover quite near the end of a level with only a tank left between us and the safe room. they asked me how much ammo i had left, i said i had a clip left. fired at someone and the button jammed, all bullets gone.
"cover me" comes the call....

"ugh yeah, i'm out" the tank goes straight for me and i've only got a frying pan, :D

Anyway, the mouse i am using is a £5.99 job i got about 5 years ago.

What do we think about the benefits of paying a bit more for a supposedly high spec mouse?
Does it really make a difference?
I was quite happy with it until it went wrong.

i'll probably pay around £25 if someone can persuade me it's worth it, though i have doubts.

"a bad workman blames his tools":D

cheers guys

Man of Honour
I still swear by the good old MS Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a for reliable and decent gaming performance and a good price too tho harder to find these days.

Soldato
My G500 is a great mouse. I was amazed how much better it is than a bog standard one. You even notice the extra accuracy using Excel or clicking web links. Well worth it.

Soldato
OP
problem is, if i get a good mouse, i will no longer be able to blame it when i end up getting massacred on battlefield!!

i've never really thought about it before tbh, always just used old £5-10 ones.

Soldato
Makes a big difference. You will notice the difference going from cheapo mouse to gaming mouse, I certainly did. Not quite sure whether £100 is worth it for a mouse but £25 is certainly.

Soldato
OP
how about a surface, i just use my desk atm. decent mouse mat worth it?

i thought it didn't make much difference with laser mice, but gamers seem to use them and pay decent money for them.

Associate
After years of using the cheapest possible mice, my friend talked me into getting a logitech g9 which was like £50 at the time, far more than I ever wanted to pay for one.

Took the plunge and it's been serving me well for years.

If you spend a good amount of time on your pc, treat yourself to a decent mouse. Looking back I wish I'd treated myself earlier.

Associate
Yes a good mousemat is worth it. You're paying for the advanced tracking of a gaming mouse you need a good surface to go with it.

I recommend the razer deathadder, great mouse :)

Soldato
The MX518 is great, and I now use a Deathadder, which is a brilliant deal with the Boogie Mat XL if you need a mousemat as well.

A mousemat isn't necessarily required depending on the desk material - if it's a nice real wood without tons of shiny polish then it'll track well, but if it's a veneered wood, forget it and get a mousemat.

Back
Top Bottom