Way Too Hot?

Associate
Guys,

I've just finished building a computer where the parts come pre-overclocked from Overclockers UK. Having applied a rice/half pea sized 'portion' of thermal compound (the compound that came with my Corsair A50 cooler). I'm now thinking something isn't right based on the idle core temps seen in the picture below.

Package was an Intel Krypton i7 950 O/C @ 4.0 Ghz with 6GB DDR Corsair XMS3 RAM.

Need some help as I'm affraid to run the system at the moment.

Core Temp by AdamNardone, on Flickr

Urgent help needed!

Thanks,

Soldato
Your load temps don't seem right either. Why there is a 15C difference between core0 and core3. It seems to suggest that probably your mounting isn't right or that TIM hasn't been applied properly.

Did you lift the heatsink by accident? If so air bubbles would have been formed.

Associate
OP
I'm sure I was very careful with it. Certainly didn't lift. Would you suggest shutting her down, cleaning the chip and re-app the thermal compound?

Soldato
I'm sure I was very careful with it. Certainly didn't lift. Would you suggest shutting her down, cleaning the chip and re-app the thermal compound?

Yes.

I am not familiar with Corsair A50 cooler but does it have 4 screws mounting system or 2 screws mounting system as latter is more tricky to implement?

Also make sure that movements during placing of cooler on the cpu IHS is minimised as there is a tendency for the heatsink to 'slide'.

Soldato
Idle temps aren't really ultra critical, it's load temps that show you everything us right or wrong.

The image shows a mid 50s idle temp which is high for sure but also higher values in the max temp column. Are those load or partial load?

The amount of vcore is the primary reason for high temperatures. Check your vcore setting with CPU-z.

I7 9xx 42nm CPUs are good up to the 90s if necessary and won't throttle until 100 is hit on a core. My ocuk set bundle topped out at 91 degrees with my Noctua cooler running with a slow fan speed. You may find your chip can clock to 4ghz with a lower vcore.

Still those idle temps are pretty high. Worth a reseat just to be safe. Recheck temps after, if same then you might just have a chip that needs high vcore.

Associate
OP
Right thats a starting point. I'll have to pick up some rubbing alcohol tomorrow, strip it and clean it and see how that goes.
Anything else I need to know having not done this before? Do I need to buy new compound or use whats left in my tube from Corsair?

Associate
Still those idle temps are pretty high. Worth a reseat just to be safe. Recheck temps after, if same then you might just have a chip that needs high vcore.

+1

Check your load temps again too as i'm sure that the 15c difference between cores is an anomaly. What case is this in btw?

Edit: The Corsair will be fine. Only a couple degree difference between best/worst stuff

Associate
OP
Idle temps aren't really ultra critical, it's load temps that show you everything us right or wrong.

The image shows a mid 50s idle temp which is high for sure but also higher values in the max temp column. Are those load or partial load?

The amount of vcore is the primary reason for high temperatures. Check your vcore setting with CPU-z.

I7 9xx 42nm CPUs are good up to the 90s if necessary and won't throttle until 100 is hit on a core. My ocuk set bundle topped out at 91 degrees with my Noctua cooler running with a slow fan speed. You may find your chip can clock to 4ghz with a lower vcore.

According to CPU-Z the vcore is 1.344.

Associate
OP
Need more help. I have re-set to CPU cooler and applied new paste. I'm getting idle temps as seen below. I have sought some advise from a guy I know and says that after running the CPUStabTest program, even though CoreTemp is reporting temps up 90 degrees, he is adamant that this is inaccurate.
I've had a poke around, there is nothing that I can see that would indicate these temps are being reached. Have even felt the back of the mobo and there is nothing.

I need help with this as I'm worried but don't know if I should be?

Thanks,

Associate
It's a fairly high vCore for a 950 but not outside the norm, some chips need more than others but may be worth trying to reign it in a bit.

Don't bother touching the back of the motherboard not going to tell you anything, and doing it whilst the PC is on is a terrible idea.

Soldato
Need more help. I have re-set to CPU cooler and applied new paste. I'm getting idle temps as seen below. I have sought some advise from a guy I know and says that after running the CPUStabTest program, even though CoreTemp is reporting temps up 90 degrees, he is adamant that this is inaccurate.
I've had a poke around, there is nothing that I can see that would indicate these temps are being reached. Have even felt the back of the mobo and there is nothing.

I need help with this as I'm worried but don't know if I should be?

Thanks,

So you are still getting idle coretemps in 50s?

Download and run Realtemp and HW monitor and see what temps they display. If they display different temps then your coretemp program is wrong but if they display more or less same values then I don't know what else to say except that your cpu may be damaged.

Associate
OP
+ does it make a difference that this is pre-O/C from Overclockers UK? It isn't a standard chip so I assume the vcore would be higher than normal...

Associate
OP
I'm going to double double check again.

Having not as much knowledge as I'd like on the subject, is there anything else I could do? Wind down voltage? I don't want to wipe the pre-overclocked settings though.

Associate
OP
Did you tighten the mounting screws fully? Sometimes it may be that applied heatsink pressure wasn't enough so ended up with higher temps.

Have check the cooler again. The A50 I have will only allow the screws to turn so far, a bit like a failsafe in itself I guess...

Back
Top Bottom