• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q9650 vs i7 Series

Associate
I've heard this bad boy from the C2Q series can match some of the i7's from the present. Is this true? Are there any major advantages the i7 series (mainly looking at the 2600k, 950 etc) against the 9650?

Feel free to discuss.

Associate
Compared to i7 2600k
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=287

Compred to i7 950
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=100

The i7 950 is an X58 CPU so it's dead with Sandy Bridge out. The 2600K is an awesome CPU and is the best upgrade option out there alongside the i5 2500k. If I was you I'd look at both the i5 2500k and i7 2600k as they both perfomr excellent and overclock like crazy. So to answer your question your Q9650 can not match any i7 however it can come close enough at times but only when compared to a first generation i7. Well the major advantages from the new i7's (And old) are more powerful (Obviously), USB 3.0, Sata 6GBps and DDR3 ram. However if you just play games on your system then I would not upgrade your CPU. I would overclock it (If you already haven't) and look at a GPU upgrade if you are finding your current GPU is not up to scratch or an SSD is another option if you do not need a new GPU.

Soldato
He means it's dead because sandy bridge is faster overall and cheaper than a socket 1366 i7 CPU. Sure the first gen i7 chips are good but unless they are on sale at half price just get a sandybridge

Soldato
C2Q chips are always going to be limited by the old style FSB. Everything from the RAM to the GFX card has to talk to the CPU through the same bus. This gets clogged up and slows things down. The newer chips have the memory controller built in, and a direct link from that to the RAM. This means, among many other benefits, instructions to and from your GPU aren't having to fight for bandwidth with memory operations. However fast the C2Q is, and however much cache it had it is never going to overcome that limitation.

Associate
I've had the QX9650, and it wasn't the CPU that was slow, but my Motherboard (striker Formula), the ram (DDR2), my hard drive, and other bits and bobs. I've found out that when a CPU (or other component) get "old", your more likely to have other "older" stuff in your case as well, so everything becomes Lacking.

Got a 980X now, but even a i7 920 was faster than a 9650 i believe.

Ant

Back
Top Bottom