The lack of photo threads around these parts§

Caporegime
Tom pointed out in another thread and he is right, until then i didn't really notice but i do now.

Hardly anyone starts a new thread on a shoot anymore. People post the odd ones in the "Post your photo" mega thread and that's it. I am not against that thread, in fact i like it. However, I guess to post the odd shots, and something you do in passing is very good but I think if you take a photo you are really proud of, to you personally, you want to give it a more chance and give it its own thread? May be to concentrate critique into another separate thread too.

I feel the photos in the mega thread gets lost amongst it all. After the page is gone, it is never seen again really.

Also, why do people stop start new threads? Are they scared of crit and like the feel the "safety net" of the Mega thread provides? It can be seen but you don't feel bad if no one comments on it?

Soldato
I've had no "get up and go" recently when it comes to shooting, I love the meets as it feels good being out shooting with others. I find I'm doing more pictures for "work" (favour for a friend on sat, helping out at a wedding this weekend etc) and I'm not doing any for myself. I'm not one for showing anything off unless it's something I'm really proud of, and 5dII envy is getting to me but I know I can't budget it.

Should learn to appreciate what I have :(

Associate
Mm, that issue has been brought up before. I originally intended the big thread to be a place where you could post photographs that you wanted people to see, but didn't feel they were good enough to warrant a whole new thread - but then again, everyone is their own worst critic so hardly anything gets its own thread. Perhaps closing the current one with a clear set of guidelines (an image limit per post, if its a set then make a new thread) would be the way to go...

Soldato
I have been so busy with my new job, I hardly have time to shoot. My project of colours hardly took off the ground :( However, I've since got a car and soon, I'll be travelling around more to shoot! YAY!

Associate
I used to post photo threads now and again but haven't in a while. Mainly because I'm not that interested in the C+C side of things, I tend to make the photo and leave it at that. So when posting images I'm not really gaining anything and it's no fun to post and have no replies! ...So if I'm not looking for C+C all I'm wanting is a 'good work' reply which is rather contrived.

I totally agree that there should be more photo threads though, gear gear gear is a bit dull and I see little value in 'new toy' threads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the photography section needs to be split into two or three sections, one for gear, and one for actual photography where people can post there actual photography experiences or get C&C, and also maybe collate resources of freely available info, so people new to photography can get themselves up to speed quicker.

As a general note, and no offence meant, this photography section on this forum is just rather dull and stagnant, and currently there are just better places to go.

Hope we see some changes soon.

Caporegime
I hope to start posting more photos soon, I hand in my PHD thesis today so I should have some free time for the first time in several years.

Soldato
I rather get the impression that some people might be a little intimidated by the photography section of this forum, since it doesn't take much to realise that many of the regular posters know each other and each others work quite well.

Associate
I rather get the impression that some people might be a little intimidated by the photography section of this forum, since it doesn't take much to realise that many of the regular posters know each other and each others work quite well.

I'm very much a novice yet i start the odd thread from time to time. I started this one a couple of weeks ago:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18241313

It was nice to get a few positive replies but i agree, i can be a bit daunting posting here, especially for someone like me that doesn't really know the other users and with my basic photography skills.

OG

OG

Associate
I miss Scary Squirrel and his pictures of his lovely partner... I blame the lack of photo thread on this!

Associate
I'm going take this up as a challenge and start a thread at some point soon posting the pictures I take for the uni paper. They're mostly sports photos, which I find the most fun shooting. They're nothing amazing but it would good to hear what crit people have.

Soldato

I think it's because, like any section of any forum near enough, it's all a bit clique in here. The regulars get lots of comments whilst the non-regulars don't. It's also incredibly technically minded. I've seen a few good images (IMO) swept aside because it wasn't 'tack sharp', or properly exposed. A lot of people get really hung up on the mechanics, probably because they either don't know how to subjectively critique work, or it's just easier to point out technical flaws. Sometimes people break these rules for a reason, and spending 2 pages of a thread justifying why and sounding bitter is no doubt a process most can't be bothered with :p

This is why I stick to problem solving and photoshop/general retouching advice. Easier to deal with finites on the internet :)

Man of Honour
I think the photography section needs to be split into two or three sections, one for gear, and one for actual photography where people can post there actual photography experiences or get C&C, and also maybe collate resources of freely available info, so people new to photography can get themselves up to speed quicker.

As a general note, and no offence meant, this photography section on this forum is just rather dull and stagnant, and currently there are just better places to go.

Hope we see some changes soon.

It is at the end of the day a subset of a computer forum, if you want more eslewhere may be better. The standard is generally very high here and a lot of people make money from their work which I think contributes to a slightly 'elitist' viewpoint which can't help encourage newcomers. Also, converse it seems very set in it's views (the answer to every 'spec me' thread is a 40D + 17-50, the strobist is god and it's advice shall not be questioned etc) which is never a good thing.

I did like your attempt at a 'rate the picture above thread' but it doesn't seem to be working from the initial few posts, people are actually going to have to post their own images when they rate those already there. Having one person rate your shot also seems to be a hit and miss affair as there's every chance they could be an idiot.

I'm going to dump a few shots on here later once they're uploaded though in a new thread...

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
I mainy keep my pictures on my blog and cba to upload them to flickR or image shack etc.
Even now im still a novice only been at college 20 odd weeks and have learnt a lot!

People still dont answer a lot of quetions or crit enough even if people do post photos anyway. They just get lost in archives. (might just be me though)

ocuk - photography is the first place i come to ask about photography/photos etc
where as TP is my 2nd

And agree 100% with that photos and gear should be in sub forums

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope to start posting more photos soon, I hand in my PHD thesis today so I should have some free time for the first time in several years.

Good luck with the PHD

This, also as BRS has pointed the standard here is very high.

I don't think adding more forums to what is a relatively small section of the forums would actually help. I'm on one forum who have a section for literally everything (they have a Netware section with 4 year old threads on the front page), it just ends up with stuff being misposted.

Part of the problem is I started a pictures thread, it had one reply and then disappeared under all the tech threads.

EDIT: It'll take some team work, but I wonder if we maybe need to do a technical sticky. If the regulars try to adopt the line if some posts asking something that it's covered in the sticky we just reply telling them where to find what they need.

Last edited:
Associate
İ'm going to make a serious effort to post more picture threads. İ've taken loads more pictures since starting my project 52 weeks and i just upload them to flickr and forget about them. İncidently i would love to be able to hook up with someone on a regular basis to roam around london with and take pics.

Back
Top Bottom