Phone calls randomly going to answer phone...

Soldato
Evening all,

Had this problem with what i'm guessing is Orange for a while now. Basically sometimes if someone calls me, the call automatically gets re-directed to the answer phone and I get a text message from Orange say 'you have a missed call from this blah blah blah...'. I've had two phones, both times it did this and also a new SIM but with the same number, still happening. :(

I have all the diverts for calls turned off so it should only go to answer phone when it's rang the set amount of times. This doesn't happen very often but it's starting to get on my nerves and i'd like it fixed. Just to add, this happens when my phone is charged and in full signal strength.

Soldato
You can't receive calls when something is actively using 2g (edge/gprs) data. I believe its the same across all UK networks.

Have a google of nom1 and nom2 networks and it explains it all.

I now have a widget to quickly turn data on and off if I want to use data. Its a pain in the ass way of doing things but there is nothing to be done.

Give it a test, turn off data and ring yourself, then turn it on and start a video downloading using 2g, ring yourself again and see what happens.

Soldato
I get this sometimes too which is often when someone is spam calling me. Another thing I've noticed is the call divert icon appearing when I have it set to off..might be related.

An issue I had last night whilst on the phone to my girlfriend who is also orange was that it cut me off and put me onto her answer phone randomly during a conversation :S

Soldato
OP
Godinman, i've tried it with all the crap turned on and off, the results are still the same. It's totally random on when it does it, like it might do it 3 times in a row on day 1 then it might not do it again for another month, honestly beyond me how random it is.

Soldato
I had the exact same problem; Orange and a HTC Desire.

Whenever 3G was turned on, calls and messages were really temperamental. I later found out that in my area, Orange isn't capable of running a 3G connection, only 1G / 2G. I just leave it on 2G all the time (unless i'm in a different area). It now works flawlessly.

Soldato
Getting this on my DHD, had it also on my LG GT505 before it. New sim, same number, Orange.

Completely tempremental, sitting in the house, same place, sometimes i'll get calls, sometimes i won't. Full HDPSA signal round here too, even when it's on 3G or GPRS it's the same.

Suspended
I have had this too. Usually it happens when I am at work (London), and I assumed it was because all of the circuits were full at the time someone tried to contact me. I've noticed this in reverse as well, when I've had to send texts or make a call, I often can't get a circuit. Full signal strength and 3G+ though.

Soldato
Same issue here, although I'd put it down to an issue with my phone!

It happens with 3g on, and with it off, regardless of if I'm using it or not at the time.

Associate
Holy C**P! This is some kind of conspiracy?!!!

But to add to this thread:

I'm on orange with my Nexus S and when I'm on GPRS when sending/receiving data, the call goes to answer phone. However it's fine when no data is used on GPRS and when data used on a 3g signal.

Soldato
I get the same sometimes when the phone is using either 3G or HSDPA. This is not the case always though for some bizarre reason only known to orange themselves. Switch 2G signal and all is fine except my download speeds.

Galaxy S on Orange

Associate
For the Original poster and people experiencing this on 3G or when NOT using data on GPRS you could go onto twitter (if you have it) and have a quick word with Orange's CS. They are pretty good at letting you know whats up

http://twitter.com/orangehelpers

They are gearing up for the T-mobile/3/Orange 3G merge next month so it's probably a quirk of the works they are doing in the background. For example they recently changed All Orange APN's for data with Dongles & iPads to T-Mobiles backhaul.

Holy C**P! This is some kind of conspiracy?!!!

But to add to this thread:

I'm on orange with my Nexus S and when I'm on GPRS when sending/receiving data, the call goes to answer phone. However it's fine when no data is used on GPRS and when data used on a 3g signal.

That's normal GPRS behaviour, whatever network. GPRS/2G/GSM cannot do Data & Text/Voice at the same time

Last edited:
got the exact same problem and it's a big pain as it's my work phone. i thought it was due to it being an htc hero with a custom rom but maybe not. what's the most annoying is that when you then get a text after to say they've called but left no message this also stops further calls happening and if you get someone like family calling they can keep a long cycle of missed call texts coming through. i've just turned it off now see if at least that helps.

it happens any time, with 3g active or not.

Soldato
OP
Seems like so far this is mainly an Orange issue. I'd like to add that i've had this happen when I have all the extra 3G and whatnot crap turned on and off, and in a full signal area.

Associate
This fault is not 3G dependent.. as I've had it happen in GPRS mode, it's a network issue and you need to make Orage aware of it but felt i needed to point out that if you are using data on GPRS on ANY network you will not get calls or texts!

Soldato
Oh god the 3G merge, hold onto your hats everyone (don't worry, it will be fine) ;) my views not my companies coming up.

I had the exact same problem; Orange and a HTC Desire.

Whenever 3G was turned on, calls and messages were really temperamental. I later found out that in my area, Orange isn't capable of running a 3G connection, only 1G / 2G. I just leave it on 2G all the time (unless i'm in a different area). It now works flawlessly.

Before anyone rips me apart for this, im dumbing it down

This is er... confusing. 1G was turned off in the 90s :( What everyone should do is really leave your phones alone. Modern phones will prefer 3G over 2G for data - this is great as you can receive a call at the same time then. Leaving it on 2G mode only is asking for it as like previous posters have said, GPRS blocks 2G call transfer. Your phone will try and maintain the highest quality of carrier at all times, it's not trying to be mean to you.

Same. Orange and bb 8520. Mine seems to be when Im using data, but still slightly random :/
This is a 2G phone, you're suffering the same problem as above: http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_curve_8520-2889.php

I have had this too. Usually it happens when I am at work (London), and I assumed it was because all of the circuits were full at the time someone tried to contact me. I've noticed this in reverse as well, when I've had to send texts or make a call, I often can't get a circuit. Full signal strength and 3G+ though.
London is still having some issues afaik sorry, this sounds like we are running out of timeslots (2g thing)

An issue I had last night whilst on the phone to my girlfriend who is also orange was that it cut me off and put me onto her answer phone randomly during a conversation :S
You sure? This is almost completely impossible, sounds like your phone auto-redialed or similar. The divert thing you're seeing is likely because you have divert active for when you're in the middle of a call.

Back
Top Bottom