PS3 Controller or XBOX 360 Controller?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have been using my PlayStation 2 controller to play my PS emulator on my PC, and also Fifa 11 (much easier to play).

However, I know that a lot of games can use the XBOX 360 controller to control games. I know that you can use the PS3 controller on the PC also.

Given I use it mainly for the PlayStation emulator, and Fifa 11, what do you think would be best to buy?

Or should I just treat myself to a cheap one of each :p

Caporegime
Anyone read the original request? @OP - Any real reason to replace your existing solution?
The Xbox pad - the games will use the same button layout on-screen when they can. They'll never display the correct DualShock graphics on PC.
Id be amazed if a PS emulator shows Xbox controls on-screen :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't you just keep your PS2 pad for emulation / Fifa 11 and buy a 360 pad for everything else. There really is no better pad than the 360 and you can get one brand new delivered for £18 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I could do. To be honest, I would rather keep my PS pad for the emulator :p And then use the XBOX pad for Fifa 11 and other games (having said that, not sure which games I would play with a 360 pad apart from Fifa 11 and maybe F1 2010).

Permabanned
If you used a PS3 pad, the drivers include an option to emulate the xbox 360 controller, so you can use the PS3 pad for all the games that have the 360 controller "Premapped" for you, I have a wireless 360 pad, and a few PS3 pads, and I prefer the PS3 pads all the way.

Soldato
OP
If you used a PS3 pad, the drivers include an option to emulate the xbox 360 controller, so you can use the PS3 pad for all the games that have the 360 controller "Premapped" for you, I have a wireless 360 pad, and a few PS3 pads, and I prefer the PS3 pads all the way.

I do like my PS pad. I use the emulator for Fifa 11, that's how I can use it. Would be ace to have a wireless one, the wires annoy me, I have so many. Wonder where I can find one for a decent price...

Soldato
As with the above, you easily can have the choice of using both, unless you just don't want the clutter of extra peripherals laying about.

Many new PC games these days offer official support for the 360 gamepad out of the box (Especially "Games For Windows" labelled titles), so it is much easier, but for certain games and as you also use a PlayStation emulator, the PS pad is still useful.

I personally still use a PS2/PS3 pad due to the type of games I play (Emulators included), especially if it requires heavy use of the D-pad (360 pad is terrible for this). 360 pad I find much easier for arcade racing games e.g. Race Driver GRID.

Soldato
OP
Interesting views here. The PS2/3 pad is really needed for the emulator (a LOT easier to use) but I imagine that the 360 pad would be easer for some games. Will have to have a wee think as to what I buy first :p

Also, I should be able to use the PS3 pad with my Android phone once CobaltController is ported.

Soldato
360 controller hands down to use with the PC.
i do really like the PS controller though and the only reason i say the 360 pad for PC gaming is because of the growing native support for it.

Soldato
Can I also add that I've tried in vien to get my PS3 pad working on my MacBook under Windows 7 (Works fine under OSX) using motion joy drivers and it flat out doesn't work unless attached to a USB cable. I googled this and it seems a common problem with some BT receivers.

Honestly the 360 pad is a joy to use once you get used to it and hassle free, you may end up proffering it to the PS3 pad! I would definitely give it a go and tbf nobody sits that far away from a PC to warrant wireless so just get the wired version, has a nice long cable anyway :)

Permabanned
360 controller hands down to use with the PC.
i do really like the PS controller though and the only reason i say the 360 pad for PC gaming is because of the growing native support for it.

Any native support for the 360 controller, can be had for anyone using the PS3 controller, win win? I like the 360 controller of course, but its D-pad is awful.

Soldato
Any native support for the 360 controller, can be had for anyone using the PS3 controller, win win? I like the 360 controller of course, but its D-pad is awful.

ahh thats news to me then :p
so all the menu's etc all pop up with the PS's buttons? does the PS pad work with most steam games also?

Soldato
emulators and anything that requires the dpad for more than weapon/skill switch - use the ps3 pad

FPS games relying on the analogue sticks - 360 controller

RPG's and so on - found it doesn't matter tbh, whatever you are more comfortable with

Soldato
OP
Hehe. Making it harder for me to decide here :p

Only reason I wanted wireless is, the cables can be annoying. I know it doesn't really warrant it, but makes it easier :p

New version of the black 360 pad coming out 18th March too :p

Last edited:

NqR

NqR

Associate
ahh thats news to me then :p
so all the menu's etc all pop up with the PS's buttons? does the PS pad work with most steam games also?

From what I read here the ps controller is recognized by windows as a x360 controller. So, any game that works with the x360 should work with the ps controller too.

Button icons will not change though because games "think" that you have a x360 controller.

Again I haven't tested it, but that's what I understood from reading this

p.s. I have both controllers and the x360 dpad sucks. Stick with the ps controller, miles better

Back
Top Bottom