Should I walk away?

Don
red is impossible to sell unless you find another Steedie :D

don't be in a hurry to buy a 3.2s, take your time and maybe even lose money on inspections, failing to do so will come back to bite you, hard!

DM

DM

Permabanned
red is impossible to sell unless you find another Steedie :D

don't be in a hurry to buy a 3.2s, take your time and maybe even lose money on inspections, failing to do so will come back to bite you, hard!

This is the truth.

Also you mention cream leather, if is savanah and its got the dash top and steering wheel in that colour too, thats another unpopular resell.

DM

DM

Permabanned
It says "Full tan leather", I don't know why I keep referring to it as cream :(

It's not extended leather though :) so steering wheel etc is black :)

As long as there is some black in there to break it up.

Seriously getting those inspections done is worth its weight in saved pain later, good move.

Man of Honour
OP
I'll be getting it done after initially picking up the car, but the garage has told me that with any finance agreement there is a 14 day cooldown period and he'd refund the deposit. I'd get that in writing first obviously

But I'd take the car home, get the inspection done, should anything come up I'd be able to take the car back and not lose any money, other wise I can just carry on and the car is mine :)

DM

DM

Permabanned
I'll be getting it done after initially picking up the car, but the garage has told me that with any finance agreement there is a 14 day cooldown period and he'd refund the deposit. I'd get that in writing first obviously

But I'd take the car home, get the inspection done, should anything come up I'd be able to take the car back and not lose any money, other wise I can just carry on and the car is mine :)

Hang on, your doing that arse backward, make the inspection a condition of sale (obviously at your expense) before you sign anything.

And if you start being told all that **** about we cant release the car before sale, jib that one and walk away. Offer to pay the car dealers driver the 40 quid to drive it to the inspection.

Honestly you only want to buy one car, the right car, theres 100s about. The wrong car is going to make you cry.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
An inspection after buying?

How much of it is being financed? Surely you don't need finance for a car of this value, your 1 series will get a decent amount in part ex?

If you have to finance the rest of the balance are You really in a position to take on an old Porsche?

This is shaping up to be a recipe for fail :(

Buy an 07 MX5.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Why?

And not much of it, the dealership have said, and they have to these days provide a 14 day cool off period after the finance agreement. So if I find something that puts me off the car, I'm more than within my rights to take the car back

I won't do any of this though until I have it in writing from them that I will get my deposit back and everything will be as before the deal

Man of Honour
Why?

Because it's an old Boxster. Brilliant cars, but it remains a Porsche. When they break, they cost big money. When it needs a service, it costs more than your 1 Series. It will cost a lot more in fuel. It will cost more in tyres - it's a Porsche, the fact its now cheap doesn't stop it being a Porsche and the running costs on a car like this go UP as it gets old, not go down.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with buying an old Porsche but its the sort of thing you do when you've got plenty of money swilling around and you don't mind sinking it into keeping an old Porsche on the road. Generally this situation is not one that leads you to having to take a crappy finance deal from a used car dealer (And it will be a crappy finance deal, I would be amazed if a finance deal from an independent trader is at all competive, all he's doing is offering somebody elses finance).

I just don't think this is the right car for you to buy, at all. Everything seems wrong here - the way its being funded highlights that this is probably a stretch, quite a big one, but you dont realise it is because you've failed to take into account the costs involved with such a car. You seem to think because it has a 'warranty' every thing will be fine. Yea, right! It's nearly 10 years old, the warranty company wont pay out for a thing. Warranties from independant traders are worthless.

Getting an Inspection done after you buy the car is completely wrong. You do it before you buy it, why would you do it any other way? Get it inspected THEN decide if you want to buy it, dont buy it, get inspected and then decide to return it! What if he's already sold your PX!? I'd be amazed if he even sells it to you, the fact you want it in writing that you can return the car in 2 weeks time would make me, as a dealer, tell you to walk anyway, because it just sounds like you'll probably drive around in it for 2 weeks then chop it back in.

If you sign the finance on his premesis I'm pretty sure there is no cooling off period anyway. Otherwise everyone can get a free hire car for 2 weeks by financing an M5 and then returning it!

stop thinking that because a Porsche is £10k its just like a Focus and buy something more appropriate. If you want to upgrade a diesel 1 Series to a decent sports car the Mk3 MX5 is a fanatstic car, it'll be nearly new, it'll be reliable and it will be a fantastic entry step into the world of sports cars.

The time is not, IMHO, right for you to buy a Boxster. Leave the Boxster for the future when it's quite easily affordable and when you dont need to faff around.

Seriously - think about this. Your last car purchase was by your own admission completely epic fail and you've admitted you regret it on here. Dont make the same mistake again.

Man of Honour
OP
It won't be a stretch, I can easily afford the extra costs. I've gone into this with a lot more research than last time, I'm aware of potential issues, big bills, average running costs over the year. I'm under no illusions that because it's 10k now it costs pennies to run.

I could probably save in a reasonably short space of time enough to buy the car out right, but then to me finance isn't the problem it is to a lot of people. I don't mind paying monthly for the car, to me that's far better than spending 11k in one go.

Yes my last car purchase was a mistake, yes I've learned from that, and the car is now actually starting to make me very miserable, just knowing things that can go wrong on it with it being a diesel (it's not the expense of these things that worries me, it's spending money on a car when I don't really want it) and it's just not what I want anymore.

I'm not going to return the car after 2 weeks, I've explained to him how I intend to do it. I will book an appointment for the day after I collect the car, and if need it, return it that very same day. He's aware of it and seemed more than understanding, he even mentioned Wrighttune to me as a place to take it, I was already aware of them before this though from people at work who have used them.

Man of Honour
It won't be a stretch, I can easily afford the extra costs. I've gone into this with a lot more research than last time, I'm aware of potential issues, big bills, average running costs over the year. I'm under no illusions that because it's 10k now it costs pennies to run.

I could probably save in a reasonably short space of time enough to buy the car out right, but then to me finance isn't the problem it is to a lot of people. I don't mind paying monthly for the car, to me that's far better than spending 11k in one go.

Finance 'isnt a problem' for you because you either dont understand it, or have convinced yourself that its the best option rather than accept the fact its your only option to buy that car right now. Do not take finance from a small car dealer. There is nothing wrong with borrowing money to buy a car provided you do it in the most efficient way possible. If you wish to buy it this way, then take a personal loan for the difference between your PX value, your savings and the cost of the car.

If you genuinelly do have the ability to save up the cost of the car in a short period of time then I cannot for the life of me understand why you'd want to take finance from an independant car dealer through a car finance firm at probably at least 10% APR. I simply dont get it. It's stupid.

Out of interest on what terms has the dealer offered you finance?

This is a completely stupid way to do it, I simply do not understand why you insist on doing this. Get the car inspected BEFORE you buy it. Doing it the other way round is ridiculous.

I'm not going to return the car after 2 weeks, I've explained to him how I intend to do it. I will book an appointment for the day after I collect the car, and if need it, return it that very same day. He's aware of it and seemed more than understanding, he even mentioned Wrighttune to me as a place to take it, I was already aware of them before this though from people at work who have used them.

Please pay attention to the next bit.

There is NO COOLING OFF PERIOD for car finance if you take it from a dealer, at his premesis. It simply does not exist. Once you've signed it, thats it - you have a finance agreement. The cooling off period ONLY APPLIES to transactions carried out away from the sellers usual place of business, or by distance.

Once you've signed for that car all you've got are your statuatory rights, ie you could return it if the engine falls out on the way home but beyond that things get more clouded and more messy.

It is NOT as simple as buying it with finance from the dealer, getting it inspected and then simply returning the whole thing to him if you dont like it. The fact you continue to beleive this is the case simply highlights the point I'm making about you not really having any idea what you are doing.

My advice remains that this is a poor purchase which will bite you. But if you absolutely MUST do it, get it inspected FIRST, and then purchase it using a bank loan.

DM

DM

Permabanned
He's right, i can see all sorts of problems backing the car once you are signed up.

Do the inspection first, and like Will said, even if that means wasting a few inspection fees on different cars its still cheaper than the other way buying a disaster.

Man of Honour
OP
If what you say in the last bit is true then the deal simply won't happen, I did explain earlier, I'll only do the deal if I get it in writing it's exactly as he's told me it will be. If he's lying or can't provide that written agreement then I won't do it.

And he's offered me 7.9% APR, which is reasonable as most bank loans are around that

Associate
[TW]Fox;18640178 said:
There is NO COOLING OFF PERIOD for car finance if you take it from a dealer, at his premesis. It simply does not exist. Once you've signed it, thats it.

This is correct!

If the documents are signed on the dealer or lender's premises, you LOSE the 'cooling-off' period in which you can cancel without penalty.

Soldato
Fox and Mark are absolutely correct on this.

I can't understand the reason for getting an inspection after the service rather than before - it can't be any less hassle before hand, and may well (almost definitely) bring up various items that will help you negotiate the price down.

As for the price itself it completely depends on the inspection (hence why you should get it done first). An £11k car that's had new aircon rads, suspension parts, Coil packs, brakes etc is worth more than a £9k car that's tired and needs all that stuff doing.

It does worry me that that you're needing finance for this - it makes me wonder if you could afford a big bill down the line - something that any inspection is never going to be 100% certain of.

You can spend £1k + at a time so easily on these cars on things that aren't covered by warranty, or indeed just to bring the driving experience up to scratch. Most Boxsters of this age need money spending on them to freshen them up. Yes, theres a small chance the one you're buying has had all the work done recently, but then why sell? I know it happens for various reason but there are a lot more out there that are sold because the owners know big bills are on the horizon. An inspection will mitigate this, but its no guarantee that 6 months down the line a spring won't snap, brakes need replacing, tyres replacing due to the geo not being spot on etc.

Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars to own and drive, and actually pretty reliable, but you'll only enjoy the experience if you're not worried how much its going to cost you. If you can honestly say you can put aside £2k in cash as an emergency fund and not worry about spending it then go for it. However, if, 3 months after buying it, a £1500 service bill would make you cry then its not the car for you.

Man of Honour
Sadly I don't think he really understands what he is doing - it makes sense in his head and thats all that matters, hence the things like 'I can totally afford it cash but I've decided to just get dealer finance' when in reality he means 'I do not have the spare cash so I have no choice but to use the dealer finance'.

Now fair enough on a £20, £30 or £40k car but when you are trading in a 5-6k BMW on a £10k car you really shouldn't need to take dealer finance if you really are financially comfortable enough to run a Porsche. If you'd rather fix your motoring costs monthly by financing stuff then fair enough but a 10 year old Porsche isnt the car for that sort of ownership routine.

Heck you could probably put the outstanding balance after trade-in on a 0% credit card!

And Sagalout makes a perfect point with the inspection. The value of a car is based on its condition, why buy it THEN pay somebody to appraise its condition! It just makes no sense and I'm sorry but there is so little about your car purchasing threads that make sense that its hard to arrive at any conclusion other than 'This is going to be a massive disaster'.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I at no point in this thread said I could afford it cash now, I actually said, in a short space of time, not weeks but months, I could save up the money. Right now, no I don't have that spare cash to do it, that doesn't mean I can't afford the car.

You don't know how much I earn or my disposable income each month so I think it's a bit unfair for you to assume I can't afford it.

I haven't dismissed a bank loan either, this was never about how I'm going to pay for it. It was about getting the price down on this new car I'm looking at

Soldato
Right now, no I don't have that spare cash to do it

Hope it doesn't throw you a big bill early on then.

You don't know how much I earn or my disposable income each month so I think it's a bit unfair for you to assume I can't afford it.

No we don't, but from the previous sentence one might assume not enough to run a Boxster.

In all seriousness I remember how much it hurt when my Boxster threw up a £4.5K bill when the timing chain let go. Nothing in this thread suggests this won't hurt you more. Please, please get the inspection done before the sale. Dealers I know don't mind because they get to find out any problems too if you share the results and while they'll lose your sale they are better informed for the next punter.

Back
Top Bottom