First attempts at gig photography

Soldato
So about 6 weeks ago my friend approached me and asked me to do photography for a new Dubstep and DnB night he was putting on. The first gig had quite a big artist (Cookie Monsta) so I went for it :)

Borrowed an external flash, and hired some lenses..

img4013z.jpg

The next gig I got was for a Radio 1 DJ (Toddla T)

300fzix.jpg

ehjejo.jpg

2z5nhau.jpg

2w7mk5y.jpg

My latest gig was for Drumsound & Bassline Smith! Played around with some longer exposures on this one..

2hxt5yc.jpg

292afqp.jpg

23ssobd.jpg

30sfx9k.jpg

So that's it so far, only done 3 gigs. But the promoter likes them and I'm being paid £100 a gig now :)

Still learning and trying to find a style I like. I have another one in two weeks time!

Soldato
OP
I have no idea, but she was a complete state most of that night :p Ended up on some guys shoulders with her bra nearly falling off :eek:

Associate
Excellent stuff. Did anyone notice the perv looking like he's going to stalk that poor brunette home and murder her on the right hand side of picture number 5?

Soldato
OP
With the Sigma 8mm 3.5, the settings I used were usually;

External flash, ISO400, 1/40 shutter speed.

The 15mm Fisheye is a 2.8 so I could get away wit a slightly lower ISO.

On the ones without the flash, I used the same settings but with a 1/3 sec shutter speed :)

Using a Canon 30D with battery grip :)

Soldato
With the Sigma 8mm 3.5, the settings I used were usually;

External flash, ISO400, 1/40 shutter speed.

The 15mm Fisheye is a 2.8 so I could get away wit a slightly lower ISO.

On the ones without the flash, I used the same settings but with a 1/3 sec shutter speed :)

Using a Canon 30D with battery grip :)

Fantastic shots; it really conveys the atmosphere in there. :)

Couple of questions: How did you managge sharp shots with 1/3s? Were you leaning against a wall or something?

What did you meter off, as the lighting is all over the place and did you use spot/matrix metering? Would love to be able to capture the atmosphere when I go to parties/wedding receptions etc without ending up with too dark or bright photos.

Soldato
Great shots but I'd be inclined to dial down the flash a little and let some of the ambient lighting in a bit. The slow synch will only do so much if the ambient lighting is 'drowned out' by the strobe. Composition wise they're all pretty good. Nice work!

Soldato
OP
Fantastic shots; it really conveys the atmosphere in there. :)

Couple of questions: How did you managge sharp shots with 1/3s? Were you leaning against a wall or something?

What did you meter off, as the lighting is all over the place and did you use spot/matrix metering? Would love to be able to capture the atmosphere when I go to parties/wedding receptions etc without ending up with too dark or bright photos.

I didn't lean on anything, just tried to keep a steady hand! I take over 500 shots per gig so some come out ok :p

Like I said, I'm pretty new to gig photography. I'm borrowing the external flash at the moment and I didn't meter off anything :o

Great shots but I'd be inclined to dial down the flash a little and let some of the ambient lighting in a bit. The slow synch will only do so much if the ambient lighting is 'drowned out' by the strobe. Composition wise they're all pretty good. Nice work!

Yeh I know what you mean, The flash works ok with the crowd shots. During my last gig though I tried to get some shots without the flash and just went with longer exposures.

I'm buying my own flash tomorrow so I'll read up on metering and experiment a bit more :)

Man of Honour
Definitely would agree with Steve - the crowd shots are excellent and overall composition suits the subject perfectly - but IMO the flash doesn't work well with some of them tho the only one that really bothered me was the first shot and again personal preference but the fisheye ones don't do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom