Windows 7 SP1/USB/iPhone/iTunes

Soldato
OP
Odd.

I wonder if it would help if you made sure all Apple-related files had definitely been removed after you uninstalled all Apple software? Maybe the uninstallers are leaving a corrupted file behind or something.

Just had a quick look, and I have Apple files in the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple
C:\ProgramData\Apple
C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer
C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Apple
C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Apple_Inc
C:\Users\<me>\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer
C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer

Maybe you could check if any of those folders still exist after you've uninstalled Apple software, and if so, move or rename them before reinstalling? A bit of a scorched-earth approach, but I'm not sure what else to suggest...

I've already done this. Completely removed everything Apple, Quicktime, iTunes, iPod, Bonjour... emptied recycle bin, restarted. No joy.

Blue160 said:
Having done a lot of googling on the subject, it would appear that this is a fairly common problem. Nobody seems to have an answer though.

The error messages I am getting are all replicated on the Apple website, but the fixes provided do not fix the problem. I've not seen any posts where others are having this issue?

Diggsy said:
Hmmm, this would suggest the install of SP1 hasn't gone well. Can you try to install it again? Maybe from the exe?

It does show it as successfully installed. I will give it another try though.

Are others able to uninstall SP1?

Thanks

James

EDIT: http://windows.microsoft.com/uninstallwindows7sp1

Urgh
Microsoft said:
How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) contains many updates to improve Windows 7, but if you encounter a problem with hardware or a program after installing the service pack, you might want to temporarily uninstall it to troubleshoot the problem.

The easiest way to uninstall SP1 is using Programs and Features.

1.Click the Start button , click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.

2.Click View installed updates.

3.Click Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932), and then click Uninstall.

If you don't see Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932) in the list of installed updates, your computer likely came with SP1 already installed, and you can't uninstall the service pack. If the service pack is listed but grayed out, you can't uninstall the service pack.

Uninstalling SP1 using the Command Prompt

Click the Start button , and then, in the search box, type Command Prompt.
In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Type the following: wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:976932
Press the Enter key.

If you can't uninstall SP1

If you've used Disk Cleanup since installing SP1, the backup files needed to uninstall the service pack might have been deleted from your computer. To remove the service pack, you'll need to reinstall Windows 7. For installation information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7.

Last edited:
Soldato
I installed updates yesterday as well. This one had only appeared for me this morning, so it might be worth checking again.

I do get the option to uninstall SP1 though, so your issue may be with that.

Soldato
OP
I installed updates yesterday as well. This one had only appeared for me this morning, so it might be worth checking again.

I do get the option to uninstall SP1 though, so your issue may be with that.

No new updates available for me.

I can't uninstall SP1 and from this:
Microsoft said:
If you've used Disk Cleanup since installing SP1, the backup files needed to uninstall the service pack might have been deleted from your computer. To remove the service pack, you'll need to reinstall Windows 7. For installation information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7.

I've not done a disk cleanup, but when I look at Disk Cleanup the SP one Backup files is 0kb.

Definitely something wrong with my SP1 install even though it shows as successfully installed.

If I reinstall Win7, does that in effect wipe everything or can I reinstall over the top of what I've got?

What if I download and install SP1 again over the top or is that asking for trouble?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you reinstall Win 7 it will keep all your files in a folder called 'Windows old' (as long as you don't reformat) so it's just a matter of dragging and dropping to get them back. You'll have to reinstall all your programs though.

Soldato
OP
So is reinstalling Windows looking like my only option?

Are MS aware of this? Someone posted that there were numerous threads on the interwebs with the same issue, but to be honest I'd not seen any.

Do I hold out for another MS Update or is that a lost cause?

Soldato
There seem to be a few different problems out there.

The one where SP1 installs the wrong USB drivers has fixes on the Apple site and other places. The one where iTunes freezes when you plug in your iPhone/iPod (which I had) was a compatability thing between itunes and SP1 on some systems which has now been patched.

Your problem seems be a corrupt SP1 installation, so on the face of it a reinstallation would seem to be the best idea.

Soldato
OP
There seem to be a few different problems out there.

The one where SP1 installs the wrong USB drivers has fixes on the Apple site and other places.
Had that.

The one where iTunes freezes when you plug in your iPhone/iPod (which I had) was a compatability thing between itunes and SP1 on some systems which has now been patched.
Got that.

Your problem seems be a corrupt SP1 installation, so on the face of it a reinstallation would seem to be the best idea.
Seems I've got a bit of everything all at once!

Soldato
OP
Just checked within iTunes whether there was an update. There was. It downloaded and installed. Restarted, and now iTunes says it's not installed correctly!

It's one thing after another since sodding SP1! :o

Soldato
OP
So second attempt at installing updated iTunes worked.

Connect iPhone - there's a new OS update available for your iPhone.

Sweet! This will probably fix the issues. Click yes I want it.

It downloads. Cool.

Starts to backup before install. Crashes. Ha!

Try again. Backs up fine. Phew.

Installs OS. Nice.

Verifies install. Crashes.

Now phone is in recovery mode and basically wiped and I can't get any further.

I hate Windows 7, I hate SP1 even more, and I hate iPhones.

Associate
Just checked within iTunes whether there was an update. There was. It downloaded and installed. Restarted, and now iTunes says it's not installed correctly!

It's one thing after another since sodding SP1! :o

Same thing just happened to me. iTunes + SP1 aghhhhhhhhh

Oh an btw I have read the whole of this thread and you must own my computer as I have had all the same errors as you pretty much.

Its a right pita :mad:

Soldato
OP
Same thing just happened to me. iTunes + SP1 aghhhhhhhhh

Oh an btw I have read the whole of this thread and you must own my computer as I have had all the same errors as you pretty much.

Its a right pita :mad:

Bad luck old bean! :(

I've just used a Vista laptop to restore my iPhone successfully. We restored twice actually..

When I first connected it, it backed up so I though it was sorted. Trsnferred three tracks to the phone and only one would play.

So I've re-restored it on the laptop, and connecting to the Windows 7 pc it backed up OK, and that's as far as I've got. I daren't go any further again, as I've been installing and reinstalling iTunes and iPhone OS 4.3 for the past 3.5 hours now!

After a Hell-of-a-lot of perserverence, I'm finally left with an up-to-date version of iTunes, and a wiped but working* iPhone with OS 4.3.

I'm stopping there. Sod it. Just going to use the iPhone for phone, web and email and I'll buy a 90's ghettoblaster off ebay for music! :mad:

* it turns on!

If you get any closer to a solution, please do let me know!

Soldato
I've also had problems with iTunes since installing SP1. Wouldn't recognise my iPhone at all, and crashed when I tried to use the iTunes Store.

Messed about a bit, and managed to fix it unexpectedly by running iTunes with administrative privileges (right-click the shortcut, properties, compatibility tab, check run as administrator). Obviously less than perfect, but will do until Apple/MS releases a fix. Give it a go and see if it fixes your problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Messed about a bit, and managed to fix it unexpectedly by running iTunes with administrative privileges (right-click the shortcut, properties, compatibility tab, check run as administrator). Obviously less than perfect, but will do until Apple/MS releases a fix. Give it a go and see if it fixes your problems.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Well it didn't hang whilst backing up. It backed up and synced, but at the end of it all I get the message: "iTunes could not back up... because the backup could not be saved on the computer".

I've seen this same message dozens of times now. Apple fix is to delete historic backups, and clear sync history, but this doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom