antec 300 stock fans a bit noisy?

Associate
I have the setup in my sig.

I was using an a old case with the side panels left open, the only additional fan I had was the air intake fans into the Hard drives.

It was slightly noisy, but tolerable.

I have just bouught an antec 300 case and suddenly the fans seem to be quite loud. It has 2 stock fans, I disabled one, and set the other on low and is still quite noisy, is this normal? Should I turn it off or buy a new fan to replace it?

Associate
which one did u disable and which one is on low? if i remember right Antec 300 comes with one 120mm and one 140mm fan.

the low speed of stock Antec 300 fan is around 700 rpm (for 140mm one) and 1200 rpm (for 120mm one), maybe your old fan was on lower speed than that, my fans connected through fan controller stay at around 630 rpm on low settings (ofc it depends on a fan), I have 5 fans in my Antec 300 and they all run really quiet. Antec TriCool fans are not the most silent fans in the world, the 120mm on low speed is about 25dBA, which is quite high in my standards

Last edited:
Associate
Is it definitely the fans? The PSU fan, and GPU fan, might also be contributing to the noise, by perhaps causing slight vibration in the new case. Shut down all your other fans briefly to find out, just don't forget to re-connect them. :D

Associate
OP
I think I made a mstake with my fan placements, which I need to have a look at.

Currently

Air intake ----> <---CPU fan

Are both blowing air into each other, and the CPU fan is drawing air from the tight gap between the CPU and DVD drives.

I need to change the orientation so that the CPU air is sucked in from below, and the fan beside the CPU is blowing our rather than blowing in, and then purhaps place an intake fan in the front bottom of the case to create an efficient wind tunnel.

Trouble is, CPU fans and hit sinks are bloody difficult place so I will have to remove the mobo completely to do. SOmething I'm not really looking forward to. And dont have time for.

Associate
OP
Intake at the front, exhausts at the top and the back. CPU cooler should blow toward the back too. Simples

Thanks, that's my plan..

I retested the setup, I got it completely wrong.

The case supplied fans are pretty quiet. it's actually the CPU fan that is caning it with all the noise. I shut down the computer, unplugged the cpu fan and booted it for a few seconds, and it turns out the rig is very quiet without the cpua fan.

In light of these findings, what would be the best future proof cooler for a 775 system?

Back
Top Bottom