Chipping/remapping Turbos

Soldato
I have a 3.0 TDi Audi Q7.

I understood, years ago, that all Turbos could/should be chipped/remapped, and that in fact you can actually get better efficiency/performance.

Does this still apply today?

I know my friend has his new GTR chipped but surely that's a wholely different type of car?

Your thoughts?

Soldato
TD's remap very well.

I'd avoid 'chipping'. Every engine is slightly different and a plug in chip just assumes your engine was in as good running order as there test engine.

A good remap should be done on a rolling road and tweaked for your engine.

Don't expect better MPG as that hardly ever happens, but with the 3.0 VAG TDi I'd expect big improvements in terms of mid range torque.

It may invalidate parts of your warranty though so be careful.

Personally I had my car remapped and went from 150bhp to 180bhp and it made a massive difference. Cost was £380 with a custom remap and induction kit but I'd expect Audi mappers to charge a fair wack more.

Soldato
It's an auto, does that make a difference?

How/where do you look to find where to get it done/prices etc?

Auto shouldn't make a difference. Gearboxes have a maximum rating of torque they can put them through them, make sure your remap doesn't exceed this value.

As for the best places to go and pricing - get onto a VAG/Audi forum, plenty of people will have had this done already and will know the best place to go.

Soldato
I got slighty better economy when I chipped my A4 quattro (from low to mid 30s on a run), but normally I wouldn't expect it.

You have AMD near you - you could pop in and ask. MRC are arguably the best Audi tuners around, although a trip to Banbury will be a couple of hrs drive for you. You could still phone for a chat?

IMO the best live mapping is done out on the road in real conditions, rather than on a RR. That's what MRC do.

Man of Honour
I'm tempted to remap mine to try and bring some new life into the car for me while I save for a new one

Figures out there suggest I can expect to go from 163bhp to 190-200bhp and 300lb/ft torque which will certainly add some entertainment

Permabanned
There is nothing wrong with a generic remap on a modern, standard engine.

Often these remaps provide better economy when cruising, but will obviously use more fuel where its making more power, so whether you see any economy benefits will be entirely down to how you drive it.

Back
Top Bottom