powerlines and wireless

Associate
I brought the belkin N+ wireless-N ADSL2 router from ocuk the other day, and basically i want wireless networking upstairs in my house, I was wondering if i could just use a powerline to connect it to the internet?

so it would go from downstairs in the study a router with direct access to the internet,
Powerline 1- connected to the router down stairs

powerline 2- connected to the router upstairs,

will this work?

Soldato
:S

Very ambiguous, ok, if your adsl router has wireless why not just keep it downstairs and use the wireless upstairs?

What your saying is very possible, I have something kinda similar in my house, what you need is the broadband router downstairs connected via powerline network adapters (most people call them homeplugs in the uk as thats the most common type here) to a wireless router upstairs, however the upstairs router must be a cable type router not a bt type (i.e it gets its internet input from a RJ45 port not an RJ11)

Hope that helps

For reference my network is:

Powerline 1: connected to wifi router downstairs which also has my fathers pc and all the wifi junk in the house connected
Powerline 2: connected to a PS3 in the living room (because wifi isnt good enough for high def streaming)
Powerline 3: connected to a gigabit switch in my room which has all my stuff attached

Last edited:
Associate
OP
because my wireless signal is poor downstairs and i have quite a few electronics which don't have wireless which only use a lan cable so I needed a router to get internet access to them anywayz. Anyways ive got the powerline (home plug) connected but should i connect it to the router using adsl cable or using the ethernet cable to one of the slots on the back of the router?

Soldato
Have a similar setup using homeplugs and two netgear dg834 routers.

2nd router is connected to the 2nd homeplug by ethernet then it broadcasts its own wireless network :) Just a few changes were needed in settings so it acted that way.

Had to set the 2nd router ip to address within router ones range and turn off dhcp setting.

Not sure if that helps you at all :(

Soldato
Depends if the router is capable of doing it or not.
Basically you need to change settings so that it doesnt try to sign onto the bb via the adsl connection but rebroadcasts the incoming signal from the lan port.

Associate
OP
okay, assuming that my router is capable, what would I do? Ive managed to turn off the dhcp settings, how do I change the Ip address so its within range of the first router?

Soldato
There is a setting somewhere in router that allows you to set what ip addy it is.

For example my netgear is 192.168.0.1 by default so i change it to 192.168.0.100 as that is within the range of router no1 so it connect to router just like any other pc etc

Really not sure if it can be done with your router though.

Hope so :)

Back
Top Bottom