New(ish) car, plus Carlimits Airfield training...

Soldato
Ticked a "must own before I die" car off my list last November when I picked up my S1 Lotus Exige up last November:

6861103160747113b.jpg

Having owned an S1 Elise Sport160 previously, one of the more extreme Elises, I was expecting much the same, but turned up a notch - but this is pretty hard work, and in all honesty not much fun on the road.

The downsides are that <3k RPM there's nothing there, so it needs to be kept o on the boil. The A048's semi-slicks are really tricky unless the road is bone dry, visibility in the cabin is poor, the heat soak from the engine cooks you and the harnesses make junctions/turns difficult.

The upside is that its *blisteringly* quick across a dry B-road, the VHPD sounds awesome at full chat, and its a stunning thing to look at. Also has the added benefit of being an appriciating asset at the moment, which is nice...

But on Monday I decided to head off to an Andy Walsh CarLimits Airfield Training day. All I can say is, its fantastic fun. Unfortunately I had car trouble so missed a good chunk of the day, but still managed to learn a few things.

Can recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about advanced driving - I *guarantee* that however good you think you are at driving, you really aren't. Some of the techniques totally go against your instincts but really work.

Its nice being able to really push the car (and yourself) without damaging anything but your ego.

6861103160747111b.jpg

6861103141758595b.jpg

Soldato
OP
I hear you.

The "turn in to this bend at 80 with your little finger" and recovery with "just let go" are quite un-nerving :D

Tell me about it - I just couldn't override my insticts to grab the wheel or touch the throttle. My subconcious just kept yelling "I can fix this!" as I grabbed the steering wheel, while Andy was yelling "Don't touch the wheel!!"

But it really works. I still can't quite grasp the concept though - everything I thought I knew about driving told me that hitting the brake hard mid-bend would result in a spin...and it did, if I tried to correct it...

Associate
Very nice! I do love the S1 exiges, apart from their price!

I've got an S1 Elise and Nick and myself are off to do a full carlimits day in April. Can't wait :D

Soldato
OP
Yeah, basically you barrel into a corner at 80mph, slam on the anchors and just let go of the wheel.

In my head, if you brake mid-corner , weight transfers to the front, giving the front more grip and the rear less, resulting in a spin. What Andy teaches is that when you slam on the brakes, you let go of the wheel and let the car correct itself...and it does work.

(I don't suggest you try this on public roads, so don't post back here saying you just lost it on your local traffic island :p)

Back
Top Bottom