Closed back headphones for travelling?

Associate
Going on holiday at Easter, and need some closed back headphones for use on a plane/coach with my iPod. They need to be comfortable for long periods of time and decent sound quality, but need to be cheap too. £30-£50 should be enough.

What do you guys recommend? I've heard on here that Goldring DR150s can be had quite cheap?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys. :)

Caporegime
The dr150's are open headphones, the closed goldring ns1000's would suit better, they feature built in noise cancelling, therefore making them ideal for travelling by plane/coach. I find them very comfortable for extended use and the sound quality is very good from them.

Associate
OP
Had a look at the NS1000s and seem pretty confident that they give me exactly what I want, although for slightly more than originally wanted.

Is there anybody else that can give recommendations? I've tried Google, but I've come up with very little that is available and reasonably priced in the UK.

Associate
Creative Aurvana Live. I've had a pair for a good couple of years now and they have never let me down. The cable isn't detachable though and the carry case is just a soft pouch but they sound good.

Associate
OP
They look like very good headphones, thanks for the recommendation.

The problem I see with them is that I can get NS1000s for only a few quid more, and I presume they would be much better value.

Associate
Assuming you get a good pair of NS1000s (buy from Superfi, definitely not Play!) then you'd be hard pressed to beat them for anything under £100, they also have the added bonus of noise cancelling which is great for blocking engine noises out.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice guys, going to order soon.

A few Internet reviews say sound leakage can be a problem, though, which doesn't sound good for me. Can anyone here confirm/deny this?

Associate
I never had a problem personally, there are better cans out there for isolation but as long as you get closed cans which cover the ear rather than sit on the ear the difference is negligible between pairs.

Associate
They do leak... I've had members of the family complain as well as the GF. You won't notice sound coming in though as they have noise cancelling

AMG

AMG

Soldato
another vote for NS1000s here ( get from superfi, not play as said before)

they don't need a amp if you use ANR but you may need quite a few decent brand batteries in backup

Caporegime
Depends how loud you have them. My gf does complain in the lounge when I am playing MW2 and have them too loud but in general I can have them loud enough that she can't hear them.

On plane trips they are fine for music and videos as with the noise cancelling you don't need them to be a super high volumes anyway.

Back
Top Bottom