Car stolen from driveway whilst we were sleeping :(

Associate
SCUMBAGS!! :mad: Woke up at 6am this morning to go get ready for work and looked out window and discovered car was missing :( Went downstairs and car keys were gone along with my wallet. Phoned police, insurers etc but I cant see it coming back soon, don't think it would have been kids looking for a joyride that would be breaking in to the house while we were sleeping to steal it only to leave it in a ditch somewhere.

Only had the car 4 weeks too and had just bought nice car seat covers, fuel in it, made up some mp3 CD's and also had birthay presents in the boot. Was a 3 year old Vectra and I loved it. Cant beleive I've only had it a month man so mad :mad:

Soldato
I can only imagine how angry you are feeling. I'd be fuming if it was just my car stolen, but if they broke into my house I'd want to see them shot through the kneecaps.

dsb

dsb

Associate
What kind of vectra, funny car to be stolen to order.

Sorry for your loss, i would hate anyone to enter my house whilst asleep.

Associate
OP
Was a 57 plate Vectra Design, harder to find than the mountains of SRi's/Life's about but still cant see it being a joyrider, but at the same I agree its a wierd car to be stolen to order. Fuming considering we also have a 13 week old baby upstairs and some lowlife is prowling about my own home!!!!!

Associate
OP
why leave your car keys downstairs? Schoolboy error TBH

not nice to have a break in though. How did they get in?

Trust me, lesson learned. All keys/valuables are now going on our bedside tables. Along with perhaps a baseball bat.

Also makes you think if the keys weren't in an obvious place downstairs, how far would they have gone to find them..........?

DM

DM

Permabanned
Trust me, lesson learned. All keys/valuables are now going on our bedside tables. Along with perhaps a baseball bat.

Also makes you think if the keys weren't in an obvious place downstairs, how far would they have gone to find them..........?

Not very far, for every car thief willing to do battle with your alarm a dog or just you and a bat there are about 2 million that just move on to an easier target.

Think about it if you were a little **** bag do you want 6 months if caught nicking a car or a sharp 8 stretch for an aggravated burglary? Dont believe the hype, most car thieves are not willing to go the extra mile.

Last edited:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
why leave your car keys downstairs? Schoolboy error TBH

not nice to have a break in though. How did they get in?

Not really. If someone wants your car and they've broken into your house you'd rather have them take them from downstairs and **** off. As oppose to having them walk into your bedroom while you're most vulnerable and proceed to get the keys anyway.

The difference being the latter situation would endanger you and your family, potentially have you beaten up and leave you feeling like **** for a while.

The cars insured anyway. No matter how ard' as nails you think you are, you're not going to jump out of bed and start nocking a bunch of people out. They come prepared.

Get a good house alarm / security / door locks.

Soldato
Why do people leave their keys by the door ? lol

MW

Right by the door and within sight from outside is a bit dim, but all our keys our downstairs. If someone's broken in, without triggering the alarm, I'd much rather they grab the car keys and go. I don't want them bothering me!

EDIT: Beaten like a ginger stepchild by TS7.

Permabanned

id rather have them take the car then come upstairs and wake me up and take the keys off me. in fact most of the advice from police is dont take your keys to bed, worse case scenario is that they bash you about for them

Soldato

What happened was the best case scenario really. Would you rather wake up in the morning and find your car gone, or be woken up at 3am to a couple of guys with balaclavas standing over you and your wife?

Well, they broke into the house which is the riskiest bit i guess, so they could have easily come upstairs and demanded them off you, especially if there were 2 or 3 of them...

Associate
I'm worried about this happening as I have a nice-ish car in a pretty bad area. I've always thought "why would anyone want to nick a 5 year old BMW when they could nick a new one". Seems strange the cars these people go for.

Associate
OP
Scary man.....:(

Anybody got any ideas how a claim on insurance for theft affects future premiums, as much as if I caused an accident? Its already went sky high because I mved to a dodgy area, this is gonna bankrupt me at this rate now.

Soldato
Well, they broke into the house which is the riskiest bit i guess, so they could have easily come upstairs and demanded them off you, especially if there were 2 or 3 of them...

Going upstairs, waking up someone up and potentially giving out a slapping until they get what they want takes 'risk' and Police involvement to an entirely different level compared to popping a window out and having a bit of a hunt around downstairs.

If you're going to venture upstairs they're going to want something that is worth a potential considerable stretch at her majesty's pleasure. That generally isn't a Vectra :p.

OP: Best of luck getting everything sorted. Who knows, it might turn up, stranger things have happened :).

Soldato
I'm worried about this happening as I have a nice-ish car in a pretty bad area. I've always thought "why would anyone want to nick a 5 year old BMW when they could nick a new one". Seems strange the cars these people go for.

Right car right place.

Someone looking for a particular car etc

Say for example some dodgy character has a BMW that's smashed/crashed etc go out steal one same year/colour swap the vins/plates and if he's really pro engine all numbers tie up with now legit car everything else gets stripped sold for profit

There is a massive market for stolen parts and modern cars are a goldmine of valuable components especially these days with the likes of bay and owners forums

Soldato
And before anyone says what about all these modern oarts being coded etc you can buy all the equipment for recoding easily enough a few thousand would set you up with all the technical giggery pokery to do nearly anything with a modern vehicle

Man of Honour
Keys stay out of sight but within reach - if somebody has gone to the trouble of smashing into the house, they can have the car because I doubt they'd be nice to me if they found the keys beside my bed.

Back
Top Bottom