Creating a Home Network

Associate
Hi all,

I have a wireless router with a PC connected through it up stairs with an external hard drive and downstairs have a laptop. I would like to access my music and files stored on the external hard drive from my laptop.

Is there a way i can do this without the PC being switched on?

How can i do this without bringing the hard drive downstairs?

Can i set up a wireless network to share files through it, with all peripherals connected to the router?

Many thanks, Chris

J.B

J.B

Soldato
You can share the hard drive content over the network by sharing the files. Being able to access them when the PC is not on wont be possibly unless you buy a NAS enclosure for it that will allow you to access the hard drive over the network without needing to attach it to a computer.

Associate
OP
You can share the hard drive content over the network by sharing the files. Being able to access them when the PC is not on wont be possibly unless you buy a NAS enclosure for it that will allow you to access the hard drive over the network without needing to attach it to a computer.

Whats a NAS enclosure? Is it a case of right clicking the files on the hard drive and chosing share?

Associate
if you get the NAS it should link to your wireless and wired computer without issue

you may have to setup some permissions for it but that should be about it

you will then be able to access it by going to

\\NASNAME\

or mounting it as a drive or Library

J.B

J.B

Soldato
if you don't get a NAS you can do it with your computer by right clicking and selecting share.

If you want a full guide just google file sharing with windows XP/Vista/7 as appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom