YOUR best sporting moments

Soldato
What is your personal best sporting moment?

I'm don't mean "when England winning the world cup" or that kind of stuff, but the your favorite moement that you actually were a part of. This can be anything from finally learning how to swim after years of being afraid of the water, to becoming world champion in your chosen sport.

For me it was playing for the GB Student American Football team on their USA tour summer 2002.

And more recently, getting a 230kg deadlift although i'm sure that will be bettered very soon :D

Soldato
Came 3rd in the british judo association nationals at the age of 16. Trained with the olympic squad a couple of times, Ray Stevens and Sharon Briggs were there too. Had to give up training with them cos it was too far away and i was only young.

Soldato
There are a few that stand out in my head.

First was when I was 11 and my mates dad who used to watch every game of ours congratulated me on having a brillient game saying it was the best he had ever seen me play, which even though we lost, meant a lot to me. Another would be in the same season when I was playing left back and the coach was shouting at me saying we may aswell be playing with only 10 players on the pitch when one of their players skinned me, followed by me tackling him, passing it up the line, running up the pitch in support and banging the ball in from outside the penalty area. IN YOUR ******* FACE MR SCOTT.

Then playing rugby for the second XV against our first XV, which was a mix of players in my year and the year above, making a try stopping interception of the ball as it was passed out to the winger on my try line, and then running the length of the pitch, side stepping the fullback which made the bloke chasing behind me fly into the fullback leaving him on the floor crying :)D) before touching down under the posts with the First XV captain hot on my trail and the second team coach dancing on the sideline :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Winning the shot-put at school, being extremely quick for my size, or scoring from the half-way line in a match for the school footy team :D

Soldato
The things i am most proud of were a couple of years ago - 2001 season.

I sail Merlin Rockets (Quite fast reacing dinghy) and we (Me and crew):

Won the Earlswood SC open (Against about 16 other boats reasonable competition)

Came 3rd at the Midland SC (Our home club) Open against the most of the top guys in the fleet 30 boats overall.

Came 10th at the Rutland SC Open (Big water) Against all of the top guys in the fleet ans about 40 others - we had a 6th in one race!

And after all that, because my crew had to go to uni we only came 2nd in the Midland circuit (The Rutland and Midland events count as wins - the ones who beat us were not Midlanders). I am still convinced we would have won it had he not had to go.

All that in an 11 year old boat! The real highlight was obliterating the guy I bought the boat off at Rutland - he had just spent £14,500 on a brand new one!!

Associate
Going up TWO belts/grades in a Shotokan Karate test (so i skipped the pants lookin Yellow). The Sensei said he only ever had a few students who did so well in the quarterly tests.

I was only young, & was so choked with pride my eyes watered when i told my dad :cool:

Man of Honour
back in sixth form I was captain of the team and for the first time in years we managed to win the league. This was an incredible achievement really as our sixth form was around 60 lads and the teams we were going up against had literally hundreds to pick from.

But however the best moment was during that season when i was playing for another team. You see our sixth form team got together and formed a saturday afternoon under 18 side. Well that is everyone except me as I was never asked to play. Instead I ended up playing with a group of mates who formed a decent but only midtable team. THe sixth form side went onto win both cups and the league.

However on a snowing wet and cold winter day on there home ground I quite literally played the game of my life. Stuck in centre midfield (normally played left back) due to injuery I ran around the field like a man possessed tqackling / harrying dribbling settin up chances all over. We eventually lost the game 4-3 I scored a cracker beating four of there team and then slotting home the 3rd goal. At the end of the game there manager Shaun who never liked me gave man of the match to another lad that played for us (he did have a decent game as well) but one of the spectators who was like assistant manger came over to me at the end of the game shook my hand and said that I was MOM easily and the best player on the park.

He then went on to ask why I never played for them, I replied i was never asked. he then walked off and seemed to have words with his son and then captain of there team lol

I got my first ever card, couldnt bearly walk the next day, had to go back to sixth form and face 14 of my angry sisth form team who nearly all had some form of bruising from a few of my challenges and one extremely not very pleased forward (who was regarded as best in the league) as I made him look like a fool infront of a scout who had come to watch him play :p

anyway what a game and one I wont forget.

Man of Honour
Beating the 4 minute mile barrier last year will be one that will stay with me for quite some time. There's been quite a few highlights in each of my chosen sports (winning the Notts under 16s tenpin bowling open when I was 13 was quite a good one, another was the junior running champ 3 years running, another was the 5-a-side league title that had been won by the same team running 4 years in a row in our first season in the league) but I think I choose the 4 minuter.

Couldn't do it now though - even though it was only last year.

Soldato
Hmm would have to be in my last year of 6th form.

PE teachers wanted a game of rugby for the A-level PE students to mark the end of their rugby module, and asked me (not a PE student, but a rugby player) to arrange it.

So managed to arrange the biggest bodge-job, ramshackle team of random people ranging from Year 10s to 6th formers, ready to take on 15 of these A-level PE students who had been doing rugby lessons for the past 6 weeks.

Thinking back it was the hardest game I have ever played in, my whole team were playing like complete nutcases and were managing to hang in there.

2 minutes to go, score was 15-10 to the A-level guys......got the ball in their 22 and broke through to score in the very corner......then lined up my first attempt in a match ever at a conversion..........slotted it over by about 10cm...get in there :D:D:D

Best...feeling....ever.....

Associate
Getting selected to run for the GB u20 athletics team for the 400 and 4x400.

The letter said i had been selected, but was actually vague on what team. And as there was a match between GB juniors, scotland, british unis and england i was a bit confused (being a junior a student and scottish). My jaw dropped to the floor when i saw my name in the paper about 10 minutes later saying it was the gb team.

Soldato
Scoring from the half way line when i was 12 in the "dick bailey" cup semi final.

The mobbing afterwards was painful however, as i had braces at the time. I had my pie hole open shouting (as you do), but the braces got caught on someones shirt and i ended up having to go to the orthodontist the next day to have it repaired.

:D

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by #Chri5#
Nice one :cool: Leon (RB) was a house mate of mine at Uni. I played at the same time as Cowboy too.

Cool... i'll probably be seeing CB this weekend. He's HC for Notts these days. What position was CB playing when you were playing? (will help me work out if i ever played against you.)

EDIT just saw your post on the other thread. So i never had the pleasure of smacking ya :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Great stoz, all!

My favorite was during a paintball match.

We were all dressed in cammies, armed to the teeth, playing a
round of Capture The Flag. Unlike VGs, you only had to reach the
flag to score. You didn't have to grab it and run it back to your
home base.

The enemy flag was in the center of a shallow crater, probably
15m deep and 200m wide. Trees surrounded this crater, and the
OPFOR buried themselves in, just waiting for us to come in to
range.

My team was able to surround the area, but any man that tried
to sneak in got hit almost immediately.

Finally, it was down to me and my partner. I told him to *try* to
cover me, and made a mad-dash for the flag (unlike the others,
who tried to be slow and sneaky).

I sprinted as fast as I could down the little hill and across the
wide-open terrain, gun tucked to the side, huffing and puffing
across the fresh fallen snow. I could hear shots coming from all
directions, but I didn't pay attention. I just wanted that flag.

I finally reached it and snagged it from it's perch. The referee
came in and checked me over -- all clean, not a shot had hit me.

Victorious!

But, what made it better, was when I got back to my teammate
and he said, "Dude, you should have seen it! There was a perfect
line of shots right behind you the whole time you were running. It
was just like in the movies!"

Heh, outran their bullets, I did. :D

Soldato
Originally posted by oddjob62
Cool... i'll probably be seeing CB this weekend. He's HC for Notts these days. What position was CB playing when you were playing? (will help me work out if i ever played against you.)

EDIT just saw your post on the other thread. So i never had the pleasure of smacking ya :p

Smacking me? :D Where did you play?

I started as a CB but due to my awesome pie eating and beer drinking abilities I got promoted to DT. Much more fun in the trenches :D

CB was MLB back then, before his days of QB :cool:

Back
Top Bottom