New compact camera for hiking and walking on holiday!

Soldato
Off to the US for 3 week driving holiday around California in September, and I'm looking to upgrade my compact camera (a little Canon IXUS) for when out and about.

I tried taking my SLR out in the Lake District as a test, and it was too bulky for me as I like to hike with as little on my back as possible! So my intention is to use the SLR when close to the B&B or the car, but carry the compact on long walks / hikes etc..

So what I'm looking for mainly is a fairly compact camera (not a hybrid) that will do decent-ish wide angle and record reasonable video too.
From what I've seen the Panasonic Lumix are quite good for this, any others to consider?

Ta! :)

Man of Honour
Canon S95? Small, cheap (-er than coparable alternatives), very good.

Olympus zx-1 is also rather good but bigger, bulkier and pricier. Also has the very useful ability to charge over USB, which is a godsend if you're travelling light and don't want 4 different chargers with you.

There are obviously lumix options but I've never liked them personally.

I'd take the Canon myself as it's the best value of the lot and is small enough to pocket on the off chance of needing it, the others are a good amount bigger.

Soldato
What route are you doing?

LA > palm springs >grand canyon > Vegas > yosemite > san Fran

seems the popular one to go for.

Tbh, you'd be mad not to use the DSLR out there, my wife's compact photos when we drive it lack compared to the slr.

Soldato
OP
Thing I like about the Lumix is the extra wide angle. 24mm vs 28mm for the Canon S95. The extra 4mm will help a lot for wide open spaces. So that's tempting.. But I do like the idea of the S95 being better suited to low light conditions etc..

I'll be taking my SLR as well, but it'll be used when we're close to the car / hotels I think. Compact will really only be for longish walks, mountain biking etc..

Regarding the holiday we're doing a circular route:

San Fran - Yosemite - Lake Tahoe - Napa Valley - Monterey - San Fran

Have no interest at all in LA or Vegas so quite happy to skip those! Can't wait for everything else though :)

Back
Top Bottom