Short mini review of Acer Revo R3610

Soldato
Aim: To supply my auntie with a media PC to stream online content and watch HD content. (budget limited)

So I was on a mission to look for a suitable alternative as she already had a WD Media player. This had problems itself as the content I had for her required converting and had was only 1st generation so playback was not fully compatible compared to the 2nd generation or more expensive models.

Looking around I heard about the Acer Revo flagship desktops. I did a bit more research and thought this would be a suitable desktop PC. The other mini HTPCs were more expensive (£50+ more) and this would be ready straight of the box.

Acer launched their latest model the R3700 with the new ION 2 GPU and Atom D525 1.8GHz (Dual Core) back in November 2010 and I was torn between this or old R3610. Common sense would prevail and say get the newest model but after some articals I found on the net it was proven that the new ION 2 is actually slower than the older ION chipset and the D525 marginally fasterthan the Atom 330 processor found on the R3610. Slightly disappointing right? Price wise between the 2 models are only varied as the R3610 is slightly more expensive than the R3700:confused:

Here are some pictures of the desktop.

5444352509_12923899b6_b.jpg

5444953852_480f4a7c78_b.jpg

5444954018_ac213ec183_b.jpg

5444353079_c856e0ffe2_b.jpg

5444353231_4499971f25_b.jpg

From the 2nd photo you can see a comparison how big this desktop is. This would fit neatly at any AV cabinet or mounted to the back of a 20+" monitor (brackets supplied as well)

As I mentioned in my opening statement, the aim was to get this playing HD content. I am going to say honestly it wasn't as straight forward as I thought it would be and also what you read from other forums or articles its not as easy. Getting this to play HD content out of the box is not as easy. I tried to stream 1080 content via youtube and that struggled on full screen. I think this is because that flash does not utilise GPU and only CPU at the moment. So this is going to cause an issue.

I decided to throw some 1080 / 720 content to see how it plays. It stutters on 1080 :(

I updated the drivers from Acer and Nvidia's website. Still no good. I read that people used XMBC to play their content but I didn't want to go through that route as this was for my auntie and using a media portal would not be the best idea as she would cause confusion for computer newbie. I changed the allocated memory to 512mb on the bios and thought that would help. Still stuttered. I downloaded combined community package and ran it in MP-HC and it still lagged. Finally I tried the 64x version of Media Player Classic and that worked perfectly without using any filters and just the core codecs from MP. Job done.

Here are some of the performance screenshots when running 1080 / 720 content.

1080qa.jpg

720s.jpg

As you can see little usage of the CPU results in lag free.

Overall, I'm happy with this device. Its a very suitable multimedia system for my auntie's needs and not only does it look great its very quite too. For about £200 you can get a very smart looking desktop PC to put in your living room.

/discuss
(comments or questions)

Reference/further reading
ION 2 vs ION 1 benchmarks http://gadgetmix.com/netbook/ion-2-comparison/
Acer Revo R3610 http://www.pauljroberts.com/acer-aspire-revo-3610-atom-ion-330-review
Acer Revo 3700
http://woodygems.wordpress.com/2010...ktop-first-impressions-and-real-world-review/

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've been looking at these but am also going down the ITX route, for many reasons:

- Gaming
- CPU with enough power to handle 1080 so I don't need to faff if I don't want to (though obviously it's still preferable to offload to GPU)
- Expandability and upgradeability
- Integrated Blu-ray drive
- Choice of cases

However if I didn't want to game and I already had a Blu-ray player, then this would probably be my choice.

Associate
ive been looking at one of these for ages now as a media centre pc, did look at the new 3700 but after reading the links you put maybe go for an older 3610.
what size was the 1080 you were playing? most of my files are dvd/avi so not really needed so much for full hd1080.
im thinking to use media portal 2 when its released!

Associate
I have had an R3600 for just under 2 years (basically when they first came out), and these things are awesome. Notice to get proper HD playback (like 15GB 1080p MKVs) you'll need 2GB of ram and set the video ram to 512MB (which the BIOS will only let you do with 2GB of ram.

These things really fly, but I might upgrade to a newer dual core atom D525 or more powerful with an ION2, because I use mine as a file server and general home server as well as XBMC box.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Neil

What was your build of your mini itx htpc i got a spare i5 750 i could use to build one ?

Sorry for jumping on the thread op.

mine was a core2 quad Q9300. works well, maybe a bit overkill but budget wise i got it all for what i sold the acer + external blu-ray for..

build log is in this section somewhere..

Soldato
OP
ive been looking at one of these for ages now as a media centre pc, did look at the new 3700 but after reading the links you put maybe go for an older 3610.
what size was the 1080 you were playing? most of my files are dvd/avi so not really needed so much for full hd1080.
im thinking to use media portal 2 when its released!

With the 1080 content, they were between 6-8GB in size. The bitrate are all quite high when I converted them. If your only using it for DVD quality rips then running this through a media portal is effortless on eith ther R3700 or R3610.

The only thing I would be worried would be future compatability, what happes when you want to start watching FullHD content? Throwing in more RAM may not neccessary be the solution.

I have had an R3600 for just under 2 years (basically when they first came out), and these things are awesome. Notice to get proper HD playback (like 15GB 1080p MKVs) you'll need 2GB of ram and set the video ram to 512MB (which the BIOS will only let you do with 2GB of ram.

These things really fly, but I might upgrade to a newer dual core atom D525 or more powerful with an ION2, because I use mine as a file server and general home server as well as XBMC box.

I would disagree and say have you actally bothered reading my review and my sources provided? The D525 is faster but only roughly 5-10%. The ION2 is slower than the predessor. 3DMark benchmarks has proven this to be 500 points slower.

Associate
ION and ION2 are basically a wash. Synthetic benchmarks may say otherwise but in real world situations like decoding a BluRay or a MKV there is essentially no difference. The fabled 'Killa Sample' clip from 'Planet Earth' has a 40 odd Mb bitrate and plays no problem at all.

The only worry is that some (maybe 5%) of less than legal downloads are encoded in a way in which DXVA doesn't work and as such are unwatchable due to the weedy performance of the CPU. If you do your own encoding/ripping then it shouldn't be a problem.

These are perfect for a download box or basic HTPC imo, they can't bitstream audio however so that is worth taking into account but for all other HD uses they are fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
not bad for your granny, but i wouldnt touch one. your cant beat a proper ssf pc.

This is what I am (mass)debating with myself! (As long as I laughed I don't care)

But seriously, I am thinking whats the best product for me and a Synology 4 bay drive.

If I was going for the SFF route I would have to get the Origen M10 case as its such an awesome case, but I don't feel that I'd use many other programs/features apart from Media Player Classic, my laptop does everything else I do. This puts me in the area of the Acer Revo.

Soldato
Is the below worth it for £200? I basically want it to play any and all HD content and play/stream up to 1080p clips on youtube.

Acer Aspire Revo R3700 Desktop

Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
No Optical Drive
NVIDIA ION 2
Wireless LAN
Linpus Linux

Associate
kona786, I've had one for about 2 weeks now, hooked to a Sony 40" TV in the living room and it handles my YouTube and movies 1080p fine. It's really quiet too!

As soon as I got it, I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on it (using a USB stick).

Associate
First time post so apologies for any mistakes I make straight off the bat and this very long winded description of my fail.
I have a couple of issues I have never quite put to rest and maybe the tech savvie among you may be able to help/advise me.

First Fantastic review, for something I purchased a year or so ago then forgot to finish and get working completely. (However I was surprised when I read your review as you seem to have nailed it with quite similar setup to me)
I'm afraid kids, House (Series not DIwhY my wife informs me) and WoW distracted me from fixing my issues.
On the whole I have used Revo 3610 and XBMC to watch most normal content (files) without any issues.

Two problems have persisted to this day with various attempts to remedy.
1. All HD (High Def) content has only ever been watchable 'in the main' on Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64 and not XBMC as I would prefer
2. HD content when played locally off my HDD with MPC-HC configured through tutorial below is good but over my two attempts at networks has always struggled to be completely jitter free.

Let me list my kit/software and please shout if there is anything I can purchase to improve my network speeds (if required) or any tips to getting XBMC to be a one stop media centre.

Iomega Home Media Network 1TB Hard Drive (Gigabit Ethernet)(thx OcUK)
BT Home Hub V2 (10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet sockets)
D-Link DHP-307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug AV (Also tried W/less n Network with same problems)
Acer Aspire Revo R3610, 2 GB Ram, 512 MB Ram switched in Bios
Win 7 x64 (Fully updated including all optional hardware)
MPC-HC x64 (Build 1.3.1249.0.x64)(I used tutorial half way down web page below, this plays all HD content very well off my local HDD if thats a problem for anyone)
(http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/)
XBMC 10.1 latest version, still struggling with all HD even off local HDD.

Things I'm considering RAM upgrade, 2 -> 3 or 4?
Is BT Home Hub my bottle Neck at 100 Mbit/s? Gigabit Ethernet Switch?
How fast does a network need to be for HD? My PowerLine and W/less-N networks are reasonably stable and fast.
eg file transfer from NAS moving files to desktop gives 3.75 MB/sec at 33% Network Utilisation on a possible Link speed of 100 Mbps in Task manager, get pretty similar speeds over wireless n.
I know this is not XBMC forum but anything obvious I'm missing to get it working atall with HD content?
Should I forget that old tutorial I've been using and just go get latest MPC-HC and nothing else?

Anyway thanks for any opinions, guess's or gems upfront.

M Ritchie:cool:

Associate
Yeah you really need a gigabit network to stream high bitrate files, 10/100 will be fine for itunes stuff or similar. Like you said a gigabit switch is an easy fix though.

Is the DXVA2 option definitely turned on in the XBMC settings? You can also set up XBMC to use MPCHC as an external video player but i can't find the tutorial sorry.

Oh and welcome to the forums!

Associate
the things impressive for such a small box, I spent the last few days pulling my hair out over a low spec build. I think I may have been better off just buying one of these, it certainly would look great in the living room as well.

I've seen people attach these to the VESA mount at the back of a monitor to keep it nice and hidden.

Back
Top Bottom