Amsterdam Holiday

Soldato
Honestly?

I wouldn't go back to amsterdam. It's expensive, quite seedy and if you're not into your prostitutes or weed then it's a bit dull.

I did however find a cool indoor kart place with lazer quest attached just outside the city!

*these are my views from a stag do 2 years ago.

Its no more expensive for food and drink than the uk,far more to see than the ladies in the windows.

Associate
Went recently with my Mrs - who isn't a smoker. She enjoyed the cakes though. We stayed at the Marriott, very nice hotel but its really out of the way - but you can get the very regular trams everywhere.

Our hotel was in Leidesplien (may have misspelt that). It was a good 15 minute walk from the redlight - which is surprisingly difficult to find, so get a map.

I never felt scared / vulnerable at any time, even at night. The food places were a bit hit and miss but theres loads of them so maybe we just got unlucky.

The coffee shops can seem bizarre at first, but they are class. Try Coffee Shop BaBa if you like trance :) some great shops around there too, kinky shops that is.

Other than that, day time adventures - heineken museum is alright, van gogh museum was alright, anne frank house is good.

I can't wait to go back actually, we stayed there for about 3 nights. Want to go back in next few months as it gets a little bit warmer. It was snowing when we went and I had broken my foot about 2 days before we left :(

I dont know if i would stay in the marriott again, purely cus its so far away. Apart from that, its a good hotel with nice food.

Associate
OP
Was in Amsterdam for a few days last week, stayed at Hotel83 opposite the peep show in the RLD, nice place with big rooms and en-suites, certainly better than other hotels we have stayed in before for the same price.

Do not waste money on a taxi or bus from the airport to Amsterdam, a train from under the airport only costs 4.80euros each way, a return day ticket to Haarlem is 7.60euros.

Thank you for this, exactly the kind of information im after. Nice pictures btw! I plan to have a day of annoying the GF by taking pictures of everything that moves and doesnt.

Associate
OP
Our hotel was in Leidesplien (may have misspelt that). It was a good 15 minute walk from the redlight - which is surprisingly difficult to find, so get a map.

I never felt scared / vulnerable at any time, even at night. The food places were a bit hit and miss but theres loads of them so maybe we just got unlucky.

The coffee shops can seem bizarre at first, but they are class. Try Coffee Shop BaBa if you like trance :) some great shops around there too, kinky shops that is.

Other than that, day time adventures - heineken museum is alright, van gogh museum was alright, anne frank house is good.

I can't wait to go back actually, we stayed there for about 3 nights. Want to go back in next few months as it gets a little bit warmer. It was snowing when we went and I had broken my foot about 2 days before we left :(

I dont know if i would stay in the marriott again, purely cus its so far away. Apart from that, its a good hotel with nice food.

Im excited about the coffee shops but not much of a smoker these days, going to plan in the fact of doing NOTHING after abit of sampling :)

I looked at the Marriott and the distance was my initial doubt about the hotel.

Where there any square/areas you would recommend as being a good mix of shops/coffeshops/food? im still having problems working out whats in different areas.

Soldato
There's a cracking pancake cafe in The Bos Park. Lovely park aswell.

Re. coffee shops, get out of the city centre. They are expensive, and full of Americans. Amsterdam is a fantastic city to walk around and just get lost in. You'll find yourself walking down some narrow streets and nothing going on but then turn a corner and there'll be a big square with lots going on.
It's a fun, and very friendly city (if you ignore the very pushy drug dealers).

Soldato
went with a few mates a couple of years ago, instead of hotels etc we rented out our own house boat. Good way to have your own space etc.

Don't know if it's something you and the Gf would fancy but worth having a look.

This one seems good for 2

http://www.amsterdamstay.com/apartments/Amsterdam_Houseboats/40.html

Incidently I am there again next week for a stag do. Dunno where we are staying as it's all been sorted out by the best man.
That looks v nice. Definitely do this.

Associate
Im excited about the coffee shops but not much of a smoker these days, going to plan in the fact of doing NOTHING after abit of sampling :)

I looked at the Marriott and the distance was my initial doubt about the hotel.

Where there any square/areas you would recommend as being a good mix of shops/coffeshops/food? im still having problems working out whats in different areas.

there is a high street that a couple of trams go through - which is kinda mental when your a bit wasted, and i did nearly get hit once (whilst sober). By high street i mean all the fashion type shops, that sort of thing, not my cup of tea.

Off the high street are little side side streets down the canals that have flower shops, little stalls, stuff like that. There is a 'square' near another shopping bit with burger king and stuff. I dont really eat fast food, mainly we ate a big breakfast (hotel), lite snack and then any restuarant we passed at night.

There was a lot of pubs and stuff near the palace (infact head to the palace, its how you find the redlight district). Probably places to eat near there also.

The coffee shops are spread all over. I read up a lot before going and stayed away from the bigger commercial shops like bulldog, and went to the ones that sounded appealing to me - ie the trance one. But they are more concentrated as you get into the redlight - i think thats by modern design actually.

Im not a huge smoker so a couple of bags in three days was more than enough and even then i ended up wasted loads.

Its class, enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom