New Zealand working holiday

Soldato
I am intending to go to New Zealand in Nov for a "working holiday" my intent is to have a holiday and see if I like it.

If I do like it I intend to apply for proper jobs when i'm out there. I have a qualification and the required experience, all of which is on there long-term skills shortage, I'm just 20 points shy of being rubber stamped, if I had a job offer I would be way over the threshold.

I assume it will be easier out their to get a job, especially as I will be legal entitled to under the working holiday visa, when I get a job offer I can then apply for a more perminent work/residence visa.

Anyone done the same or know someone who has recently?

This isn't much of a gamble for me, I am on a fixed term contract in the UK which expires end of Nov. I'm worried that it took me 9 months to find a job in the UK where as in New Zealand there appears to be loads of vacancies for what I do, I have friends already out there to help out in the first couple of weeks.

This is a bit of a dream for me, which I think I need to action before I'm 30. :)

Caporegime
Unless you are in one of the professions (doctor, lawyer etc) it will be easier to get a job once you're actually in the country, yes.

Residents visa will cost you about a grand, maybe a little more. This covers a full medical and you will be refused entry if you do not pass this. The process itself is astonishingly quick as the NZ Embassy in London are unbelievably efficient but I believe they give a waiting time of 3 or 4 months; I forget the exact figure.

What do you do? 'Loads of vacancies' doesn't describe the job market at the moment unless you're in something very niche and/or something I know very little about. www.seek.co.nz is probably the biggest website you should hit if you're looking to guage the number of positions available. Most employers will use this site.

Me, my wife (Kiwi) and young daughter (Kiwi/Scottish dual nationality) moved here in August 2009 and without getting too emotional about it, it was the best decision we've ever made. Having said that, it's not for everyone. You're a very long way from home and I would probably not have slipped so effortlessly into the lifestyle I hadn't had the established network of my wife's family and friends.

Anyway, any questions you have just ask. I'll try to answer as best I can :)

Soldato
OP
I have a degree in earth science and 5 years experience so far.looking at environmental, water resource, asset and regional planning as thats where my experience nce lies.

My friend and his wife went over last year with the same degree, he got a job inside a week with less experience. Could be coincidence though.

I have just looked at council jobs so far and their seems to be two or three at every council pretty much.

Is $65,000 a year livable? Could i survive on jobs at $53,000?

Any no go areas in nz? Any areas that are mega expensive? Ideally i want to end up on the north island around parmerston north, which is where my mate lives.

Caporegime
I have a degree in earth science and 5 years experience so far.looking at environmental, water resource, asset and regional planning as thats where my experience nce lies.

Ah, I see. I know nothing about this area, sorry.

My friend and his wife went over last year with the same degree, he got a job inside a week with less experience. Could be coincidence though.

Could be. When we were in Glasgow, our very good friends both got NZ job offers by telephone interview although they were Pharmacists and in high demand at the time. I still think it's easier to get it when you're actually here though. It took me two weeks to get a job which I was pretty thrilled about.

I have just looked at council jobs so far and their seems to be two or three at every council pretty much.

Yes, public sector here is similar to the UK in that it is less likely to suffer the effects of a recession. On he flipside, the pay does not match the private sector.

Is $65,000 a year livable? Could i survive on jobs at $53,000?

It depends on your circumstances. We're both lucky enough to earn very substantial wages but we have a little one and a huge house which, of course, equals large mortgage. With few commitments and $65k (30-ish grand GBP) a year? Yeah, I can see that working. Do you have any savings?

Any no go areas in nz?

I'm a Brit living in Auckland and I know that there are a few genuine Kiwis who post here so I can only give you my very imprecise views on this and hope they fill in the blanks for you. As a general rule, South Auckland is viewed as sketchy at best and downright dangerous at worst. I lived in St Andrews for 19 years, Edinburgh for 4, London for 11 and Glasgow for 4 and I feel safer here than I ever did in the UK.

There are gangs here - proper gangs, I mean - but I think you have to do something pretty stupid or be very unlucky to get involved with that kind of stuff.

Any areas that are mega expensive?

Yes but not so much where you're talking about. Well, there are around Wellington but not as many as, say, coming to Auckland or going up to the more remote and expensive parts of the country.

Ideally i want to end up on the north island around parmerston north, which is where my mate lives.

North Island makes sense. 3/4 of the population is here with 1/4 of the population being in Auckland. Palmerston North? Yeah, have a think about that one. Definitely visit it to see what you think because it has a reputation. I could never live there, for what it's worth. Also, in terms of your Council work, you'll want to be close to a large city (Wellington in this case) and Wellington is a great great place to be. Palmerston North is ... not.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm rapidly making progress through some rather excellent Scotch so just let me know if I've gone off the rails on anything :)

Soldato
OP
I'm a single guy with no kids, all my friends have moved away so I have nothing except my mum, dad and sister holding me in the UK.

I think the north island would be best for me, I need to find a wife lol.

Is 10k sterling enough to take with me?

I did hear about Palmerston North being a bit dodgy, but my mate seems happy enough.

Wellington sounds god if I can get a job there... good opportunity to find a wife lol

Anyone got opinions on Napier, Bay of Plenty and Hamilton? Applied for jobs round their yesterday...

Back
Top Bottom