MS Cancelled Alan Wake on PC!!!

Associate
The problem is that people often say "when piracy is so prevalent on the PC" while pretending it's not an issue on the consoles. Piracy on xbox is just as bad as it is on PC, but they pretend it isn't because it saves them money by not developing it for PC.

The PC is a much stronger platform than is often made out, it sells a lot more games than is often made out and developers need to stop pretending piracy is only an issue on PC.

Recently Capcom complained about piracy on the PC, and claimed it was the reason why they weren't releasing Super Street Fighter 4 on PC, they listed the piracy numbers that were no worse than the console numbers. It's just about lazy developers in the end, games are developed on the PC in the first place, it wouldn't that anywhere near as much in the way of resources as they claim.

On my phone so all I can say is your totally clueless.

Soldato
Probably so the xBoxers could continue deluding themselves about the superiority of their console.

Also, comments about PC gaming being in decline are clearly in error as there was a recent article on RPS about the 19% growth in the PC market over the last year (although their source may have been a slight bit biased) and there was also a report on how Super Meat Boy sold more (yes more) on the PC than on the console.

It's very annoying that things have to be platform exclusive, if games were really art then they should be made available for everyone to appreciate and enjoy.

Just imagine if the same was for TVs, Sony studio films can only be watch on Sony TVs & other top brand TV makers having similar exclusive deal with other film studios ect...

Soldato
Someone ran the numbers and decided that the cost of releasing it on PC wasn't worth the profit they would make. No big conspiracy, no PC hate, nothing along those lines. It will just be simple profit.

I wonder does it actually take much work to port a game from the xBox to the PC, especially for a game which went into development as a PC game?

I think that since Alan Wake was meant to be one of the flagship titles perhaps Microsoft felt it would help sell xBoxes.

Soldato
Yeah i very much doubt a game initially designed to be a pc game somehow became Xbox only because some unknown marketing dude 'ran the numbers' based on figures pulled out his arse. Think Antars reason is probably more accurate, they hoped it would sell Xboxes if they made it Xbox only.

Soldato
Agreed, they wanted it to be a true exclusive for 360 rather than just a console one.

Don't think it turned out to be the ace in the pack they were expecting though.

I reckon it might still get ported eventually.

Soldato
OP
I wonder does it actually take much work to port a game from the xBox to the PC, especially for a game which went into development as a PC game?

I think that since Alan Wake was meant to be one of the flagship titles perhaps Microsoft felt it would help sell xBoxes.
Nope its minimal especially when there is already a 360 version most of the work is to do with the gfx translation & Nvidia help on that for marketing via their TWIMTBP program. AFAIK most of the 360 code is translated via developer tools (provided by Intel & MS) to PC friendly code then the rest of the time is spent on the gfx & other considerations like making it Direct X PC compatible & optimising.

NqR

NqR

Associate
Someone ran the numbers and decided that the cost of releasing it on PC wasn't worth the profit they would make. No big conspiracy, no PC hate, nothing along those lines. It will just be simple profit.

Quoting Remedy "The adventure thriller was originally planned for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, but Microsoft swept in with an offer that was too good to refuse."
case closed xbots:)

Man of Honour
^^ yeah I think that very few games could actually sell an xb360 on their own these days, I mean in terms of exclusives it is only the bona fide AAA franchises that could manage that (GTA, GT etc). A new IP, from a developer not overly well known in the console market, would likely struggle.

Soldato
OP
Maybe they are throwing us a bone after all! Not a new game but not a sequel can only mean PC version at last when they will not confirm platforms it can only be PC/360/Kinnect version!

"Full Remedy statement:

So referring to your most recent Joystiq post ... It's awesome to hear you say that Alan Wake appears in your hearts – I've read through all the responses on your site which is fueled with positive responses. It really would seem Alan Wake is very close to the hearts of the fans out there, and to ours too. To that point, it's a shame that this news leaked before our official announcement which will of course include the visuals and information to support it. Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, we owe it to you and the fans to shed a little more light before we get the chance to officially show them what the guys have been up to.

Fans of the franchise will be excited to learn that yes, more Wake is coming! But to be absolutely certain to avoid confusion, this next Wake installment will not be Alan Wake 2. But neither will it be DLC. The rest we're saving for our official announcement when we'll actually SHOW YOU.
We are really excited about this project which a slice of our team has been working on for the last months. It's something that'll definitely give more to the Wake fans out there, but just as importantly, this installment will also give an opportunity for players who aren't familiar with the franchise to finally jump on board.

We can't wait to show you more, bear with us. Release dates, platforms and pricing are unconfirmed as of yet, but Fall 2011 is probably a good guess. More coming soon! "

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/new-alan-wake-confirmed-but-its-not-alan-wake-2/

Associate
It wasnt just Alan Wake that got canned, all Microsoft Game Studios titles being developed for PC had the plug pulled. They didnt publish a single PC game for 3 years, despite Microsoft hyping Vista as a gaming platform. There is a jucy story there but its never been reported and everytime I tell what I heard its called BS as no source to back it up "sure you really knew a guy that worked at Microsoft Game Studios" :(

Soldato
OP
It wasnt just Alan Wake that got canned, all Microsoft Game Studios titles being developed for PC had the plug pulled. They didnt publish a single PC game for 3 years, despite Microsoft hyping Vista as a gaming platform. There is a jucy story there but its never been reported and everytime I tell what I heard its called BS as no source to back it up "sure you really knew a guy that worked at Microsoft Game Studios" :(
I think most PC gamers know MS dropped PC over X360 its fairly obvious no need to back it up or anything the lack of games/PC interest is all the evidence you need!

Lets hope MS are starting to rethink now as PC is still a goldmine & MS have allowed others to take most of the pie & want back in so they have to spend to get a seat at the table again!! They have 3 games coming this year are spending time/money on refining GFWL & I think this forced leak announcement from Remedy means PC gets a deluxe version of AW (I hope).

This leak & statement from Remedy came about because someone had a mention on their CV of working on a new Alan Wake project then a game website probed & the Remedy statement is the result! If they can make this for Autumn 2011 it looks like it did in 2006 with Quadcore + DX10 or DX11 specific PC only features it can still do well on PC ;)

Soldato
OP
I haven'r read the whole thread but wasn't Alan Wake promised to be a DX10 PC release?

Yep back in 2006 when Intel were sponsoring it as a showcase for their quadcore CPU's then MS decided against it on PC & Remedy said they did not have enough tech staff to do it anyway so concentrated on getting it to work on the 360. Now it looks like they have changed their minds as unless their stupid I would think Remedy would deny a PC version straightaway considering how much flak they got for canning PC last year!

Back
Top Bottom