• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this card any good? ARGH

Associate
aha well phrased!

yes i see your point. but at some point when i save up i plan to upgrade to core 2 quad, so this is more like buying the car then moving to australia later :p

Excellent comeback, in that case I would lean towards the more expensive one as well. You were on the border of it being worth it with that TV anyways.

- Ordokai

Associate
oh that reminds me

when i plug my existing card into the black PCIe, a red light comes on
is it because the black it too slow? or is it just malfunctioning?

Generally cards work fine in slower ports, just well... slower. I suppose it could be malfunctioning but more likely the mobo is simply set up to look for a GPU in the primary slot (the blue one) and finding it empty with no integrated graphics chip to fall back to just plain refuses to boot.

- Ordokai

Last edited:
Associate
Won't work with a card only in the second port. Need one in primary first.

Generally cards work fine in slower ports, just well... slower. I Suppose it could be malfunctioning but more likely the mobo is simply set up to look for a GPU in the primary slot (the blue one) and finding it empty with no integrated graphics chip to fall back to just plain refuses to boot.

- Ordokai

Off topic dude, but I had the same CPU as you, it was a total bottleneck :p Sell it on an auction site for the same price as a II 250 (or a II 550 for a bit extra) like I did, trust me, it'll be worth it.

Associate
OP
i have a 550W power supply, is that what youre asking?

Oh, so even overlclocked to 3.2 its not adequate? what about with a decent core 2 quad i plan to buy?

I was thinking of changing the motherbard if im changing the cpu, would you do so?

Associate
Won't work with a card only in the second port. Need one in primary first.

Off topic dude, but I had the same CPU as you, it was a total bottleneck :p Sell it on an auction site for the same price as a II 250 (or a II 550 for a bit extra) like I did, trust me, it'll be worth it.

Indeed, I am well aware of how crummy my current rig is. Planning to build a new one from scratch around the time bulldozer finally hits the shelves. But you're absolutely right, this CPU didn't turn out very well for AMD at all. Though not sure how much further I can push this old rig of mine with a newer athlon or somesuch, fear not far enough to actually be worth it. Then again, it might give the poor 5770 some more breathing room, did make an effort to replace my trusty X1950 with it a while back after all.

- Ordokai

Last edited:
Associate
When i put windows 7 on a solid-state drive, my boot+acess times sky rocketed!!
you could try that-and use it on your next rig too...

Oh yeah definitely, been waiting for a while for prices to drop on those things. Good stuff. Was thinking about getting an SSD and and a new storage drive but then it hit me that I can get a decent mobo, CPU and some ram for the same price. :p Naah I'll probably just upgrade the whole lot in one go. Besides, nothing particularly exciting comes out in the near future in terms of games and most things I can tweak to run decently even now so I make do.

- Ordokai

Associate
OP
I purchased the 6950, its fantastic! running crysis on max settings, it looks great!

I considered cross-firing at some point, though it seems i don't need it yet!

thanks a lot guys :)

Back
Top Bottom