Assassins Creed Brotherhood poorly optimised.

Associate
Has anyone else noticed this?

When I looked back at the graph on Afterburner, the max gpu usage for the game at any one point was 65% Max memory usage is 560MB

Is there anyway to improve this or am I stuck with it because of bad programming?

Frames drop down to 35 when there's a few characters on the screen.

Urgh.

Associate
It's a bad console port is all i can say. No matter what gfx card you seem to have, the AC series always seems to be stuck in the 20 fps range.

Such a shame they still haven't gotten round to properly optimising the game engine for PC like the did with brotherhood for the ps3 :(

Soldato
The first AC was good.

I bought 2 and regretted it.

Unfourtunatly these games are just console ports now, which is why you are seeing such crap performance.

I gave up on this series... like I said 1st one was good, 2nd was crap.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
The first AC was good.

I bought 2 and regretted it.

Unfourtunatly these games are just console ports now, which is why you are seeing such crap performance.

I gave up on this series... like I said 1st one was good, 2nd was crap.

Really? 2 was a much better game than the 1st, and ran just as smoothly.

Soldato
i found it that first one was dull and boring second one was much better i can run second one around 50 ~ 62 fps constantly on max settings maybe due to having 6 core.

Associate
OP
I didn't seem to have a bad problem when I was playing 2 at 1650, but now I game at 1920 by 1080, I've really noticed a massive fps hit. My rig shouldn't have a problem running XBox games.

This really annoys me.

Associate
My fps fluctuated massively on AC1 with my old 4890, but it ran smoothly nevertheless at max settings. I also found applying AA--no matter what amount--would result in no performance hit whatsoever. AA was definitely running, though, as IQ suffered greatly with it off (but, again, with no gain in fps). I found this to be true with AC2 as well (the AA thing), though AC2 ran slightly worse in general (I got about 55-60fps average, but there was the odd area where I'd be getting closer to 40-45fps). I also went on AC2 very briefly to see how it ran with my GTX470 compared to the 4890, and there wasn't really much in it to be honest -- I was still getting comparable fps dips in pretty much the same places. I never did know what to make of me getting similar fps with both cards, though.

Associate
OP
it says to me that there is a certain spec machine that runs the game the best it can, and less and it becomes unplayable, anymore more it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

gpu power seemingly makes no difference. i also agree when you said multisampling aa made no diiference. i would agree. the hit compared to most other games is pretty much insignificant

Man of Honour
Thing is such a scenario is virtually unheard of; regardless of how badly optimised a game is I am yet to find one that doesn't scale to some extent with hardware power. CPU (or even memory bandwidth, although much less likely) limitations are usually the cause when people find that for example changing resolution/AA etc doesn't boost FPS and GPU usage is way below 90%.

Associate
i found it that first one was dull and boring second one was much better i can run second one around 50 ~ 62 fps constantly on max settings maybe due to having 6 core.

+1 for part 2!

Now I am on AC:brotherhood maxed settings in game and in CCC (HD5870) stays on 40-60fps with vsync on!

Fount that in CCC anti-aliasing mode needs to be set to multi sample AA/performance! If set to adaptive or super Sample- fps stays in 18-20fps!

Caporegime
Had absolutely no issues with any of them. Just played through AC3, it used a shedload of cpu, using between 60-70% of my 4Ghz Phenom 2 most of the way through and would use 100% gpu at all times without vsync on, with vsync on it was rock solid and completely stuck at 60fps, utterly smooth and used around the 60-65% gpu mark, as it was obviously limited to 60fps.

Soldato
Wow, just bought this from Steam, loaded it up, and it looks terrible. Really washed out for some reason.
Running on a 5850, with everything maxed out. If i compare it how it looks on the 360, it doesn't even look as good!!
Am i doing something wrong?
Are there any tweaks i can do?

cheers

Soldato
Wow, just bought this from Steam, loaded it up, and it looks terrible. Really washed out for some reason.
Running on a 5850, with everything maxed out. If i compare it how it looks on the 360, it doesn't even look as good!!
Am i doing something wrong?
Are there any tweaks i can do?

cheers

It looks substantially better on my PC than on the PS3, framerate is much better too.

Soldato
runs really well here as well, not sure what the devil your doing to get it to run at 20FPS?! and for the love of god, there is that 'insult' term, console port! is there a thread that it doesn't appear in...? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom