• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 3D requirements

Associate
Hi everyone

Have a query regarding using 3D. I recenly purchased the msi gtx 470 twin frozr ii when OCUK had it on offer and was thinking about getting a 3D monitor and NVIDIA set up.

I'm currently running with an AMD phenom ii 955 and 8GB of corsair DDR3 ram. Would this be enough to run games in 3D and decent spec and also my PSU is current only a 550w, would I need to upgrade and would I need to SLI to get decent 3D performance.

I know this would require me getting a new MB and chip set as my current MB only supports Crossfire

Associate
i like gaming at 60fps, running any of the new games at 60fps in 3D on a 470 is imo not possible.

you might be able to crank all the settings down to low but i would suggest another 470 for SLI if you want a decent framerate in 3D

Soldato
What's your frame rate now?

As far as I understand having the 120Hz and 3D enabled halves the framerate. To enable the effect.

470 SLi would be a good option.

Associate
OP
So 3D is that demanding?

So for my next upgrade I should consider going SLI and getting new PSU and MB before getting a 3D monitor and NVIDIA 3D vision and glasses?

Also I would like to keep my current AMD CPU, anyone know a good board that is AM3 but supports DDR3 and SLI or would I have to go Intel route for that?

Associate
its basically 2 images displayed on the monitor at once so half the performance.

why not just sell the 470 and get a couple of 6950's?

ATI do 3D as well dont they? (sorry Nvidia man here)

Associate
I have a 3d set up on a 470GTX currently im only on a Q6600 and only use one stick of ram (the other one broke!!). With 3d on you cant really notice any stutter at 30-40fps normally play games at 1920x1080 and for latest games i've played its been good. Was able to play through BlackOps without any noticeable stutter (apart from the scenes with long view distances i.e. outside!) Currently playing Dead Space 2 which runs fine and have tried it on Bad Company 2 and Metro 2033 runs both of these fine all on highest settings.

Though personally i dont use 3d for any online play as it does make it harder to play competively just with how different it is to aim and what not. In addition to this im not one of those people that is obsessed with AA im quite happy to play games with it either off or 2x/4x if i can get away with it.

Associate
I was running 3D with a Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC which I believe performs slightly slower than a 470. I had no problems running most if not all 3D games at 120hz 1920 x 1080. You may have to turn off AA but you don't need it with 3D anyway. You can expect a frame hit up to 50% but the games that were made for 3D are much better. Crysis 2 only takes a 30% hit for me. Mafia2 runs great with AA and PhysX off. The driver limits all games to 60 fps max anyway in 3D.
What I would say is if you are not using 3D (green light off on IR receiver)but have 3D enabled in Nvidia Control panel it will limit you fps anyway for some reason so disable it if you are playing in 2D.

Soldato
Its not worth the effort with the setup you have m8. Performance was fine on some games for me with my setup (i5 @ 4ghz and GTX580), but poor in others, I guess it would depend if you need 60fps all the time, I do or I get motion sickness so 3d vision really made me feel sick quite often.

Back
Top Bottom