How fast is your Photoshop ?

Soldato
Brilliant reading the first bit of this thread, and lol at the amount of people with Photoshop (its a trial, probably, right? :p). Would be better if someone can run this on the same hardware using multiple versions of Photoshop though, see how the actual software has changed rather than just ever faster hardware.

Soldato
4.5 seconds on CS5

Raided SSDs are the future? Or is it all CPU?

I wouldn't be using the results of this test for any set ups for photoshop, its hardly representative of real world use. The old retouch artists speed test was slightly better but it really needed a bigger source image and more layered file actions. As it stood the whole test could be conducted inside of 4gb of RAM, and realistically if you're dealing with RAWS and tiffs that's a little short nowadays.

Soldato
yikes! I got 38 seconds :(

E2180 @ 2Ghz
8gb Ram
Vista 64

Time to look at an upgrade I think. Any suggestions on bang for buck guys?

If you wan't it to last you a good while, a P67 system with the i5 2500K or i7 2600K are looking like very good options at the moment. Throw in 16GB of ram and a separate scratch disk and there's no reason you can't get a good 3+ years out of it. Camera technology isn't going to move that fast. (To give you a reference, I built a Q6600 system shortly after it's release, whacked a P45 board in when they came out, full ram capacity, seperate RAID0 scratch volume, and it's still tearing through tiffs from Phase backs, P35/45/65, basically 3 years on).

I would probably err on the side of the 2500 as the extra cost for the 2600 doesn't seem to translate to performance for Photoshop at the moment. Plus you can always buy one later down the line for peanuts if suddenly hyper-threading is providing decent gains. Then again if you won't miss the price difference the 2600k is a no brainer :)

Man of Honour
OP
4.997 seconds with:

4.5GHz i5 2500K
8GB XMS3 @ 9-9-9-24T
MSI P67A-G45-B3
Photoshop CS5 x64
Win7 x64

I am absolutely gobsmacked how this chip eats Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 for breakfast!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom