Soldato
Not sure about Leatherman stockists but I use a Gerber Suspension for work ( fire and rescue service ) and it's been easily as good as the previous Leatherman I owned.

Screwfix Direct stores stock both the Gerber Suspension and the 400 Compact.

Associate
I have a surge I picked up in south Africa last year and its a fantastic bit of kit. Sorry I can't help on stockists as I'm living in DK now but I do know if the plod was to find me with it on my person here I could get 3 months in prison! I'm an engineer doing installation work btw not a knife wielding Chav :)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
OP
Cotswold Outdoors? They have a store in St Albans.

Or Go Outdoors

I've got an old Leatherman PST II, a Charge TTi and a Knifeless Fuse - great bits of kit :cool:

Go Outdoors in Harlow would be a good idea, plus you'l end up with a bunch of other toys.

Cheers boys - I'll check them out tomorrow. I'm on the site now and already seeing other items I don't need ;)

edit - the Go Outdoors one almost rings a bell. If it's the one I remember it's huge so should have everything else that I also need so cheers for that & Chris, thanks for doing some digging for me bud.

Last edited:
Don
Never understood the point of these, they're just fiddly weaker versions of proper tools

And too big to keep in your pocket anyway

I worked with a guy who had one on him all the time in work, he'd spend all day trying to find a use for it..

"allen key you say? pah, I'll get my Leatherman out"

"No, I said Alan has lost his keys"

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Charge TTi, bought it online, think it was from a dealer on eBay.

I'd disagree personally, I find mine very useful.
I keep it with me whenever I'm going on my road or mountain bike, as it's useful for fixing anything.

It's also got knives on it... I don't have any other knife.

I've had it a good few years now and it's very hard wearing.

Personally I think it fits a pocket fine unless you are wearing skintight jeans, but then I don't carry it around in my pockets day to day, as obviously it could be considered a weapon.

It may not be much good for people in some kind of trade profession, but I personally think it suits me very well.

Soldato
Leatherman's are awesome tools.

I take a Wave to work with me every day, and I use it more than once, without fail, every working day. Just today I must have used it a dozen times or more.

I also have a Juice S2, and a Squirt ES4 for carrying around when I'm not at work (I carry one or the other) as they don't have locking blades so are legal to carry in public.

I wouldn't buy any Leatherman in this country, they're WAY over priced. It's Leatherman's fault. They give the non-US distributors free reign. We're talking 100% more expensive than what the American's pay on some models. Buy from the US. Even if you get stung with VAT and the admin fee, you'll still save a significant amount.

Example:

Leatherman Juice S2. UK best price at the time £52
I paid £26 shipped.
Royal Mail charged £8 admin fee
£4 VAT (when it was 17.5%)
total = £38

Still £14 cheaper, or over 25% cheaper if you want to look at it like that. Warrenty isn't a problem either. Just send it in to the UK service centre, it'll come back fixed.

Associate
I have a Charge and a Skeletool which I carry almost everywhere, got them from RED 5 gadget store a couple of years ago. And in relation to Bigpops post on the locking blade ones been illegal, that is untrue. Both the Charge and Skeletool have locking blades, and they are perfectly legal. I got arrested a couple of weeks ago, and had both on me when they got took off me, but said I was very lucky as they were legal. You may get a warning for carrying one but certainly not illegal.

Associate
Leatherman's are awesome tools.

I take a Wave to work with me every day, and I use it more than once, without fail, every working day. Just today I must have used it a dozen times or more.

I also have a Juice S2, and a Squirt ES4 for carrying around when I'm not at work (I carry one or the other) as they don't have locking blades so are legal to carry in public.

I wouldn't buy any Leatherman in this country, they're WAY over priced. It's Leatherman's fault. They give the non-US distributors free reign. We're talking 100% more expensive than what the American's pay on some models. Buy from the US. Even if you get stung with VAT and the admin fee, you'll still save a significant amount.

Example:

Leatherman Juice S2. UK best price at the time £52
I paid £26 shipped.
Royal Mail charged £8 admin fee
£4 VAT (when it was 17.5%)
total = £38

Still £14 cheaper, or over 25% cheaper if you want to look at it like that. Warrenty isn't a problem either. Just send it in to the UK service centre, it'll come back fixed.

Can you advise from what site you purchase them at those prices? Thanks! :)

Permabanned
I was thinking this but 2 things,

1. Are the import duties going to make it not worthwhile?

2. Will it be seized by UK customs due to it being an offensive weapon of sorts?

1: Not particularly. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

2: It shouldn't be. They have to prove it's intended use is as an offensive weapon first. It's one thing to be carrying a six inch kitchen knife in your pocket, in the centre of town, at 3pm in the afternoon. It's entirely another to be carrying a multi-tool that you carry for work purposes (and that has a blade under the 3 inch limit) in the same scenario.

Permabanned
No idea. But consider the cost of what it might be in the US. Factor in the duty and fees and postage you'd have to pay on top of the US price. Then weigh it up against the cost of buying from the UK. Is there much of a difference? Sometimes it's not worth it. Or worth only £10 savings. And I personally would rather pay the £10 for less hassle and being able to buy it right now.

For instance it's for sale on Amazon US for: $120. Or £71. What's VAT at right now? 20%? So about £14/£15? How much for postage/shipping from the states? £20? Free but it'll take forever? Handling fees as mentioned in a post from 2011 of about £8...

Amazon UK is selling it for £133.

Weighing it up, the savings from buying it aren't significant enough for me to bother sourcing it from the US.

Back
Top Bottom