The Hawksmoor

Soldato
I'm posting a thread about a favourite restaurant of mine. Introduced to it by a member of this very forum, visited by several members of this forum, and a place I recommend to everybody who mentions they enjoy what is it's primary fare - steak - the Hawksmoor is a 'group' of (two) restaurants, recently started by Will and Huw with the desire to create the best steak restaurants in London. I think they have succeeded in doing that and more.

The original establishment is Spitafields, on Commercial Street, and their newest venture is Seven Dials, on Langley Street near Covent Garden. I've visited both several times and I would say the Seven Dials restaurant is the better of the two, if you like a lively atmosphere. Seven Dials is larger, has probably a younger more 'party' crowd, and, being in the West End, somewhat reflects the ambience of the entire area.

The Hawksmoor is all about steak. Prime rib, porterhouse, chateaubriand, fillet, sirloin, rib eye and D-rump are on the menu, and there's an offer to source any cut of steak you may want given 48 hours notice. My personal preference is for a large chateaubriand. It's one of the more expensive cuts at £12 per 100g/3.5oz, and quite dangerously expensive as you can literally eat an infinite amount of it. However, the quality of the cut is 'up there', and with the Hawksmoor's excellent cooking and preparation, it makes for a truly delightful steak. I have no sauce to my steak to get the genuine taste. I seriously can't imagine how a sauce could make it any better.

A very good range of sides are available to complement. I have taken a liking to adding a half a lobster, macaroni cheese and baked sweet potato. The flavourful combination of all of these and a good steak truly makes your mouth water. My finger is hanging over the "Book" button as I type!

There's also a short but very good selection of puddings, and a comprehensive menu of after dinner drinks to choose from. A lengthy wine list, ranging from inexpensive to very much special occasion territory, means that you are sure to find something to your taste.

For me, everything about the wines or the puddings just plays second fiddle to the most important thing. I tell everybody I take to the Hawksmoor that a big piece of Hawksmoor chateaubriand will change what steak is to them. People often think I am exaggerating how good it tastes. Everybody, so far, has told me I'm right. The only downside is the place sort of ruins 'normal' steak for you. Every time you eat a slice of something else you think back to that delicious, juicy piece of chateaubriand and curse not being able to afford such a prime piece of meat every day.

If you are going to visit I would advise budgeting at least £50 per head, unless you intend to be very cost cautious or not have any alcohol. If you are very careful £30 per head is possible. My experience teaches me that a good bottle of wine, desert and cognac can easily see the bill soar to £100+ per head without feeling like you are getting carried away. In my opinion, it's worth spending and doing it properly for the 'full experience'.

Make a booking and go - you won't be disappointed: http://www.thehawksmoor.co.uk/

Last edited:
Associate
Oh, pro tip. Go on Monday night when they do a BYOB night. Uncorked on Bishopsgate first, then short stroll to Commercial St. Fiver a bottle corkage on top of your Uncorked spend still works out as a nice saving.

Soldato
I can umpteenth that this is the best steak I have had bar none, and I have spent some considerable time in America (admittedly not visiting any steak places price comparable wise)

I think for me it came out to around £70 for the same cut mentioned, plentiful sides and a desert but I was not drinking alcohol at the time.

Soldato
Certainly one of, if not the best steak place in London. I've only been to seven dials, and my first visit was a bit hit and miss, but my second visit was much better. The steak is cooked perfectly and they clearly know how to source superb meat. The cocktails are great too and it's a nice relaxed setting.

Personally I stick to porterhouse or rib - with a good portion of bone marrow and anchovy butter :) Must go back to try one of their burgers though!

Soldato
Big fan of The Hawksmoor - had a last minute look into booking a table for tomorrow night... no chance!

There's big debate in our office as to which has the best steak in London: Hawksmoor vs. Goodmans. I side with Goodmans, but I'm heavily outnumbered on my desk!

Soldato
OP
Big fan of The Hawksmoor - had a last minute look into booking a table for tomorrow night... no chance!
Haha yeah good luck with that :D

The place is absolutely rammed for bookings now. Late notice you may get lucky and pull a 10 PM slot, but don't get your hopes up!

Soldato
Haha yeah good luck with that :D

The place is absolutely rammed for bookings now. Late notice you may get lucky and pull a 10 PM slot, but don't get your hopes up!

Yep, thought I'd try a sneaky last minute booking. i used to live a few minutes away from there, and the breakfasts are amazing!

All of the American guys I know over here all say that The Palm is the best steak house in London, so I'm giving that a try next week. You been the before?

Soldato

There's big debate in our office as to which has the best steak in London: Hawksmoor vs. Goodmans. I side with Goodmans, but I'm heavily outnumbered on my desk!

I don't think there's anything to chose between them meat wise, but the sides at hawksmoor win it for me!

Back
Top Bottom