Power Cut = Damage??

Soldato
if the PC does not not work hardware wise afterwards it was always going to fail in the next few power cycles anyway,

there is a 1 in a 100 change it will break windows, on a server there is a higher (though still low) chance something will break - higher because there are more things (possibly) to break / open databases / etc etc

Associate
We've had power cuts at the office here, and all the PC's have been fine (150+) that doesn't mean it can happen. Get one of those Belkin surge protectors there only 5 or £6

Associate
Its fine, cutting power is unlike an EMP bomb going off, more like a car running out of gas. Really, its fine. A whole series of unlikely conditions/events would have to coincide for a mere sudden lack of juice to cause damage. Assuming you're not running a PSU from the 90's or somesuch.

- Ordokai

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah but i mean can it cause any damage to the parts?
Every part (even the disk drive) first learns about power off when DC voltages start dropping. All power offs (using shutdown, yanking a power cord from the wall, or nationwide blackout) look exactly same to all electronic hardware.

If you mother caused damage, then doing a shutdown also causes damage. Exact same circuits responded same to both power offs.

Mythical is a power surge when power is restored. Power restoration can sometimes be harmful to motorized appliances because the voltage rises slowly. Too many appliances starting at once. But slowly rising voltages and low voltages are ideal for electronics.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Every part (even the disk drive) first learns about power off when DC voltages start dropping. All power offs (using shutdown, yanking a power cord from the wall, or nationwide blackout) look exactly same to all electronic hardware.

If you mother caused damage, then doing a shutdown also causes damage. Exact same circuits responded same to both power offs.

Mythical is a power surge when power is restored. Power restoration can sometimes be harmful to motorized appliances because the voltage rises slowly. Too many appliances starting at once. But slowly rising voltages and low voltages are ideal for electronics.

Oh LOL thats why overclocked parts die faster LOL.
All oh my componants are on stock settings which I think I'm going to stick with.

Associate
OP
im sure if you did what your mum asked you to do she wouldnt turn of your pc....bearing in mind she most probably paid for it id say its hers to turn off...

I was doing what she was asking and It's mine LOL I paid for. :)

Had been saving for like 2 years. Thats why when i'd not even had to 2 weeks I got very paranoid that it might be damaged.

But I went on it yesterday and It seems fine and speedy again :D
Also my BenQ 21.5 " monitor arived yesterday, It's huge LOL hardly fits on my desk :D:D

Back
Top Bottom