Mechanical Keyboard with UK layout?

Permabanned
I really want to be able to press unusual key combinations at the same time - and have it work.

It seems there's only one way to achieve it - a mechanical keyboard.

The Steelseries 7G looks amazing - I would buy it right now.... EXCEPT...

I'm not changing from the standard UK keyboard layout...

Anyone know of a mechanical keyboard with a UK layout?

Associate
Filco and DAS keyboards are both available with UK layouts (I guess I can't give you a link, but Google should provide).

DAS are available with a choice of Cherry Blue or Brown switches, not sure about Filco.

Soldato
My Razor Black Widow Ultimate is UK layout (@ on the ' key, large return key), this one uses Cherry Blue switches and each key is individually backlit.

However, it does seem more like a "euro" layout as all the vowels have a duplicate on the key, but with an accent on top of it. I ended up painting over these with a marker as they were annoying me.

Permabanned
I really want to be able to press unusual key combinations at the same time - and have it work.

Then forget a mechanical keyboard. A keyboard being mechanical is not important to NKRO. What's important is the interface and the controller. Provided a keyboard is NKRO, it will be limited to 6 simultaneous key presses (plus modifiers) over the USB interface. Or full NKRO over PS/2.

The only board really capable of exceptional NKRO over USB is the Microsoft sidewinder X4 which can manage something like 20+ simultaneous key presses due to whatever voodoo MS did when developing the board.

Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
As for the layout. ISO is the "big enter key" layout we're familiar with in Europe. The ANSI layout is the small enter key more familiar to North America. Then there's the JP layout for the east.

The layout shouldn't really be a problem. All that's different is the enter key and the location of the " and @ symbols.

Permabanned
OP
Then forget a mechanical keyboard. A keyboard being mechanical is not important to NKRO. What's important is the interface and the controller. Provided a keyboard is NKRO, it will be limited to 6 simultaneous key presses (plus modifiers) over the USB interface. Or full NKRO over PS/2.

The only board really capable of exceptional NKRO over USB is the Microsoft sidewinder X4 which can manage something like 20+ simultaneous key presses due to whatever voodoo MS did when developing the board.

interesting - I looked that keyboard up... doesn't *look* like UK layout from the pictures :(

Permabanned
interesting - I looked that keyboard up... doesn't *look* like UK layout from the pictures :(

I think it was a case of one layout fits all with the X4.

It entirely depends on what you're doing though. If it's gaming, I find it hard to think of a game (bar flight sims) where you'd need more than 6 key rollover anyway.

Soldato
So it doesn't look like this at all?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-054-RA&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=1258

I should also add, I don't want function keys on the left of the keyboard.

Aye, mine doesn't look like that. That seems to be an image of the US layout version.

TBH, I didn't buy mine from OCUK, so I can't confirm that OCUK are selling the UK layout - but if the place I got mine from is selling the UK version, then I would bet that OCUK are too.

Soldato
Aye, mine doesn't look like that. That seems to be an image of the US layout version.

TBH, I didn't buy mine from OCUK, so I can't confirm that OCUK are selling the UK layout - but if the place I got mine from is selling the UK version, then I would bet that OCUK are too.

just to confirm, i got mine from OCUK and it is the UK layout, with the large enter.

i think its just the image they used when it was on preorder when the uk layout wasn't available

Associate
That Razer looks good. Can owners confirm that it is solid. What I mean is, the regular Razer is light and flimsy, I was surprised at how much it flexed when a key is pressed. Put me right off. Does this one feel solid?

Soldato
That Razer looks good. Can owners confirm that it is solid. What I mean is, the regular Razer is light and flimsy, I was surprised at how much it flexed when a key is pressed. Put me right off. Does this one feel solid?

I feel pretty confident that I could use the keyboard to hammer some nails if it was required.

It is a really heavy, solidly built keyboard - there is absolutely no flexing when you press a key.

Interestingly, I just looked at the box my razer came in and the picture on it shows the US version - but the keyboard in it was the EU (UK) version. On the side there is a little sticker with a Union Jack and it says "UK layout retail packaging".

Last edited:
Associate
The Steelseries 7G looks amazing - I would buy it right now.... EXCEPT...
I'm not changing from the standard UK keyboard layout...

You might want to check the layout with the OcUk sales team.

In a recent post for the 6G here, Valkia mentioned "Yes the keyboard is Full English. Please do not be fooled by the box art as the keyboards were not released in the UK. However they are fine."

Associate

I have to agree with cmndr_andi on this one, it is very very heavy, good antislip rubber on the bottom, I just put mine over my knee and tried to bend it (Don't ask why, I thought I'd see if it was a stable as I thought) and it wouldn't even bend.

Comes in US box as cmndr_andi but is UK layout. Even on the standard version you get a light up Razer light you can toggle :p

I'm very impressed by it tbh.

Associate
Thanks cmndr and silenced. One more, what media keys does it have and can programs/commands be assigned to the keys down the left side?

Edit: Just been looking on the Razer site, I don't think this ones for me. I'm not a gamer and the 2mm actuation of the keys would mean too many accidental presses of the surrounding keys with my sausage fingers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom