• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why would anyone buy an nVidia 560...

Associate
Mine fits in a Antec 300 no problems heat really is not a issue certainly not in my case but i guess if you have poor airflow maybe, mine is running on a 550w psu with no problems how ever i am going to upgrade my psu to play safe, but bang for buck....

you are pretty much pushing it there for the PSU might run it now but when the capacitor's start to age something will have to give. the GTX 470 pre factory overclocked I had says you need a 550w minimum PSU.

Associate
3 times as much in idle ? find that hard to believe ?

I reckoned about 40W or so at idle in my system

Stop being Nvidia fanboy and you will discover many things for yourself. Details on power consumption here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_580_Lightning/21.html

I disagree, it is infact a very good card with a flawed cooling system. <..>
Few people will find acceptable a video card with power draw of 320 watts (in burning mode) or 250watts in gaming mode. Even though it is quite fast. Many cards are quite fast, but this one has the worst consumer qualities of them all. that makes it the worst card of them all.

ROFL...ok if you say so
if you have nothing to say, then don't

I feel great fear in this young padawan! Much to learn he has. ;)
same as before

Associate
Few people will find acceptable a video card with power draw of 320 watts (in burning mode) or 250watts in gaming mode. Even though it is quite fast. Many cards are quite fast, but this one has the worst consumer qualities of them all. that makes it the worst card of them all.

If that is true why do so many people recommend and own one?

Associate
480 is the worst card ever made, that's why it almost didn't sell. 480 draws twice as much power as 6950 2GB in load and 3 times as much power in Idle.

Its one of the fastest single GPU cards, and performance it beasts the 6950 :/ i dont care about how many pennies in power i use, i care about performance.

Soldato
The 480 gigabyte se and soc cards for ~£220 are awesome. Cool, quiet and near 580 performance.

I dont care about the cost of power, as I'm sure most dont on this forum, just the secondary effect of it heating up my case.

Associate
Stop being Nvidia fanboy and you will discover many things for yourself. Details on power consumption here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_580_Lightning/21.html

if you have nothing to say, then don't

same as before

Oh dear... so you say that the 480GTX is bad because of power draw? This is an enthusiast forum, we are talking about powerful graphic cards, this one is offering the performance of a £500 card for a little over £200 and you are whinning about power draw? You have no clue what you are talking about.

Performance for the ££ and general performance the 480Gtx is a great card well ahead of all the competition at the time, and the fact that it is still talked about today as a high end card shows how powerful it really is.

Soldato
The 480's are just unbelievably cheap at the moment as they are trying to get rid of all the remaining stock of an EOL product. This makes the 560 look a bad deal at the moment. Once the 480's are sold out, the 560 won't look such a bad deal.

Soldato
Oh dear... so you say that the 480GTX is bad because of power draw? This is an enthusiast forum, we are talking about powerful graphic cards, this one is offering the performance of a £500 card for a little over £200 and you are whinning about power draw? You have no clue what you are talking about.

Performance for the ££ and general performance the 480Gtx is a great card well ahead of all the competition at the time, and the fact that it is still talked about today as a high end card shows how powerful it really is.

Nail on the head there! I'm amazed at just how fast my 480 really is! And it only cost me £185! I don't give a rats hairy love spud how much power it uses.

Associate
480 is a good deal now as Nvidia dumping old stock after nobody bought the card for it's real price. The price is just half of what it had to be for this card. You are all happy to get such a bargain, but it doesn't make 480 a good card. It's an awful card and it's just good for the money. There's a reason it is so cheap. They sell it for less than it costs them to make one.

Soldato
480 is a good deal now as Nvidia dumping old stock after nobody bought the card for it's real price. The price is just half of what it had to be for this card. You are all happy to get such a bargain, but it doesn't make 480 a good card. It's an awful card and it's just good for the money. There's a reason it is so cheap. They sell it for less than it costs them to make one.

I suspect you either paid £400 for one on release or you bought a 580 which is double the price but only 20% faster :)

Soldato
He's bitter as he didn't wait and pick one up for a bargain £185 :)
I know I am chuffed to bits with my 480. Just can't touch it for price / performance ratio! So it runs a little warm, uses a bit more power and makes a little more noise? Do I really care when I can max any game out for £185? Nope!

Associate

You really haven't done any research or read anything other people have written have you? I don't know why you're so against it, you don't seem to have any evidence to back up your statement that somebody will actually agree with.

It draws power, so what, big deal, the big matter is how it performs, power draw is not a main concern when it comes to buying graphics cards, performance, then price, then power draw.

Get over yourself and stop posting such ridiculous claims

Associate
You really haven't done any research or read anything other people have written have you? I don't know why you're so against it, you don't seem to have any evidence to back up your statement that somebody will actually agree with.

It draws power, so what, big deal, the big matter is how it performs, power draw is not a main concern when it comes to buying graphics cards, performance, then price, then power draw.

Get over yourself and stop posting such ridiculous claims

+1 Clearly a troll, the 480GTX is a good deal, end of story, even OCuk did a deal of the century insipired in this card. It has great performance, one of the best cards out there in terms of performance and to be honest that is the most important thing in a graphics card of this level, the rest are extras.

Associate
+1 Clearly a troll, the 480GTX is a good deal

I didn't say it's not a good deal. It's a good deal now. I'd recommend it to some people.

But those shouting that it's a good card are wrong. It is expensive to make and was meant to be sold for £400, where few wanted to have it for that price, because it was just not good enough. It's good enough for £180 that's true. But what you are getting is unsold stock being dumped at you. Grab it while you can, if you're happy with 250 watts power draw. I'd personally get 6950 and later another one.

Last edited:
Associate
480 is the worst card ever made, that's why it almost didn't sell. 480 draws twice as much power as 6950 2GB in load and 3 times as much power in Idle.

No it doesn't, you're badly misinformed

Total system avgs,

6950 2gb idle- 162
GTX 480 idle - 190

6950 2gb load/furmark- 320
GTX 480 load/furmark- 479

Personally, the 480 doesn't appeal to me. But still, don't go blabbering around non-sense, people look at these threads and decide what to buy based on what people say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom