Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
The painting and modelling took up a lot of my time when I was younger. I found the actual 'game' to be beyond tedious though.

Cheapo acrylic paints are usually what is used on these models. You can, of course, use whatever you want it depends on the look you are going for. The White Dwarf magazine used to have painting guides in it when I was a lad, not sure what's going on with it these days. Maybe see if they have issues online. You could also just talk to the nerds in the shop for advice next time you're passing.

Best way to paint marines is to use a spray coat first. If you want standard cartoony marines use white then paint over it. If you want chaos/gritty realism, use black. If you're lazy, spray them the colour you want straight off then touch them up afterwards with eyes, metallic trim etc.

You can choose to paint things for speed and have them look a bit pap or spend hours on each man. I'd advise you to make an effort on each man unless you're actually playing the game and need to turn out 200 Space Wolves.

Last edited:
Associate
I always wanted to give this a try as a kid, mainly for the painting aspect as I loved to paint model airplanes - about 6 months ago I eventually went in to a GW store and bought a pack of space marines and some paints, I still haven't got around to painting them yet - does anyone have a good guide on the best way to build and paint space marines? I've found a few youtube videos but they all gloss over the very basics!

Cheers :)

Try the GW site, last time I looked there were tutorials on there.

Associate
Other projects came up that got in the way so in the end it fell by the wayside. At the time when dealing with Games Workshop we had boxes upon boxes of their models sent to us to work from, that was kinda cool.

Nice.. interesting to hear you got the ok. I heard GW were pretty protective of their IP.

Wish they would send me some stuff! ;)

Soldato
Davinnicus-pred.jpg

A couple of badly painted vehicles, one is a heavily modified predator in Dark Angles livery. :)

HAHAHAHAHAH those are awesome. Old school tanks. I really do love the new designs of the rhino's though. Probably my second favorite SM vehicle.

btw, I have a huge box full of spare bits for space marines, orks and tau in my loft. Anyone looking for spares, just email in trust. Would be happy to sale them off for a good price. Will take pics of the spare parts if asked for.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tau 2200 points
Space Marines 3500 points
Necrons 2400 points

Been playing for a few years, usually about a game a week. Between me and my mates we have the majority of the armies so Ive faught pretty much everything bar eldar and dark eldar.

Necrons (Unpainted)

IMAG0025.jpg

Needs black washed

IMAG0093.jpg

Tau........

Fire Warrior and a Stealth Suit

Broadside

Obviously not finished, but you get the idea of the colourscheme :)

And brownie points for anyone guessing who this is :)

Last edited:
Soldato
nice FW suits, i built up my dreadknight, needs some GS work here and there because i chopped apart the legs to get a nice pose, but that'll have to wait, i'm back to working on my gameboard whilst it's sunny and i have some time off.

DSC_0678.jpg

Associate
OP
I have to say that the dreadknight is freakishly awesome!

And its good to see a fellow necron player!
What models do you have in there, a few heavy destroyers? and is that the nightbringer or deciever i see, if so do you actually use him much?

Associate
I collected 40k for a while but never played much due to lack of opurtunities. I really enjoyed a lot of the fluff and lore though. I was particularly fond of the Imperials inquistion and their method of performing Exterminatus, by which they destroy an entire planet because "it's better to let a billion innocent people die than let 1 guilty man go free". I always found this hilariously extreme and have generally tried to use the word during everyday situations, generally while doing a mass clearout or performing a mega clean. As in "Don't go in there, it's a total mess. I'm performing an exterminatus".

Associate
I used to love playing this.

My lady brought me a full set of Vallejo Game Colours a couple of years ago and I've been trying to find them time to get back into painting. I messed about practicing on some dwarf models when I got them but they didn't really ring my bell and it sort of trailed off.

Been reading through the Horus Heresy books the past few months and it's seriously got me hampering after some 40k action. Love the look of the new Grey Knights stuff, but I think they'd be a bit boring to paint, so am considering Eldar.

I think I'd struggle find people to play against though. Whenever I've gone into GW and talked to the people there I've been a bit put off by the overwhelming nerdery they can output, which is saying a lot since I'm pretty nerdy myself.

Soldato
Dreadknight is growing on me... this is bad :p

I've previously won tournaments with a strict Grey Knight army (3rd edition rules) and every year attend Games Day UK @ Birmingham.

The hobby is good if you do it in smaller doses as you get older... basically more books, games, movies and less spends at the hobby stores. Take you time with each model, put in 150% and you will not only get satisfaction, but keep hold of your money for much longer too!

Associate
Played in the last edition of the rules, had fantasy lizardmen and 40k space marines. With my lizardmen i nearly lost every match except against the real newbies who would promptly kick my ass 2 months down the line, this was probably because i could never get the movement phase right, a big deal in fantasy. However with my 40k space marines i kicked ass and took names, it was a 2x10 tactical squad with Sargent's with power fists, 10 close combat scouts, devastator squad with 4 rocket launchers and 5 terminators with 2 assault cannons and terminator chaplin. Worked well, people got a little scared after seeing so many space marines in a 1000 point battle and then peeved off that their 300 point anti tank squad had no tanks to take out. didint like using tanks in that edition, i found tanks easy to take out with missiles from afar and power fists up close and no one likes a terminator squad that rerolls hits on the charge.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to love playing this.

I think I'd struggle find people to play against though. Whenever I've gone into GW and talked to the people there I've been a bit put off by the overwhelming nerdery they can output, which is saying a lot since I'm pretty nerdy myself.

Finding people to play can be a bit of a pain if you don't want to play in a GW store.

I'm sure some one more knowledgeable on how to do these sorts of things could set up a directory of people on the forums with locations & games played maybe??? help us get some forum games going.

I'm very out of practice, but if any one from birmingham area wants to sort out some games, I'm up for it. I have a 6x4 table with plenty of terrain too

Back
Top Bottom