Racing Simulators

Associate
Doesn't look like there is a current Radical class C Series.

Think I'll probably go for the Mazda and do a few TT's just to get to B class, its the lotus that really appeals to me.
Im a lotus 79 driver its the best car in the sim imo its more fun than the williams.

When you get loti give me a shout if you want setups.

Associate
You can drive the Lotus in a hosted session with just a rookie licence and drive it in testing so worth buying the car now for a play.

Mondays you will find one of the Lotus guys will host a session with the weeks new track to get some laps in practice for the weeks new track.

Track changes to Road Atlanta so worth looking for a hosted monday night with this.

Here's my set

https://sites.google.com/site/ayupfromdik/files/jdroadatlantaqual1.9.7.sto?attredirects=0&d=1

Last edited:
Soldato
that lotus is insane!!!

The Lotus is another great, but under appreciated iRacing car. If there was offline AI to race against it would have been a car I spent a lot of time in. But I never dared risk real SR on the track in it. And I was certainly never safe enough in it to risk getting close to other traffic.

Fortunately in the few races I had the other traffic was usually half a lap ahead of me. Like all the most "edgy" cars, it's one which really separates out the talented from the also ran.

Andrew "also ran" McP

Associate
The faster you go in the Lotus the more grip it gets so you just need more seat time in it Andrew come back and give it another go.

A few guys even host training sessions to help new guys to the Lotus its just the most fun to drive of any of the cars and the drivers in the series are the the most friendly willing to share setups and give help to others when needed.

Associate
I feel like a change after two seasons in the Jetta so I've been practicing in the Riley, all I can say is that it's a lot harder to drive than the Jetta especially if you get anywhere near a raised kerb.

Soldato
The faster you go in the Lotus the more grip it gets.

So everyone always used to tell me. All I can say is that either my car was made on a Friday afternoon after a liquid lunch, or I just suck far, far more than the car can.

As I said, I would never ever trust my SR to that beast in a real race. It takes too long to earn at A and disappears in a flash. And anyway, after a ~10% pay cut last year I'm in no hurry to throw even more cash down the iDrain. :)

Never say never though.

Andrew McP

Soldato
The Lotus is weird, I was never overly quick in it and it took me ages to get the 'nerve' to go flat out around various corners, it was fantastic when you did though like T1 at silverstone :)

On the subject of an OcUK race I was thinking about this earlier, how about this weekend (saturday evening?) with a multi-class race of Spec Racer Ford, MX-5 (one of them, don't care which) and possibly Legends if I'm feeling insane :p

Track wise one of the free ones obviously, possibly a Summit Point variant? I'm a bit of a fan of the Jefferson layout, especially in the smaller/slower cars?

Associate
I was gonna post about what a load of donkey balls iRacing was, but I am sort of changing my mind towards it.

I still think LFS is a fantastic sim, with some amazing features underneath, and for the price I think it is one of the best value purchase you can have. Its cheaper than some cars or tracks off of iRacing. If only they would hurry up and release the S3 content.

iRacing, still not sure I am gonna stick with it, as I still think the content is hugely overpriced. The interface is confusing garbage, and for a beginner doesn't really show you what your aiming for or what you gain from racing. However, I just got into the 1:44's at Laguna Seca after being stuck in the 1:48's for ages in the mazda, had 1 win and a couple of top 5's and really starting to enjoy it. The safety rating system is a harsh mistress, and its really frustrating being punished when someone else makes mistakes infront of you. I really think its anti beginner, and must put a lot of people off.

Associate
Once you progress to a 'D' and your placed in a Division I found a lot more focus, as the top of your Division is not that far away yet in the MX5 madness cup it's a division of 1800+ people

Soldato
I can't make it but would deffo be up for any in the future, I miss the old GPL community we had going round here...

That's a shame, although with the response so far it might just be me anyway :p

Those days were good, if only I had the control/'skill' to be more consistent back then rather than pushing over the limit the whole time, whilst I still make mistakes now I'm a lot more consistent than I was :p

iRacing, still not sure I am gonna stick with it, as I still think the content is hugely overpriced. The interface is confusing garbage, and for a beginner doesn't really show you what your aiming for or what you gain from racing.

I don't want to sound patronising but that's what the sporting code is designed to do, albeit it's a fairly hefty document...

On the interface I never found it too bad, however I did start when it was a fair bit simpler (on the website side at least, the garage gets a bit mad with some of the more advanced cars) and then they've tacked bits on over time so maybe I just got an easy ride :p

However, I just got into the 1:44's at Laguna Seca after being stuck in the 1:48's for ages in the mazda, had 1 win and a couple of top 5's and really starting to enjoy it. The safety rating system is a harsh mistress, and its really frustrating being punished when someone else makes mistakes infront of you. I really think its anti beginner, and must put a lot of people off.

I think with scenarios like that SR acts like a training tool, the aim there is to spot from the actions of the driver/car that they're likely/going to spin and drive in a way that allows you to avoid it, after all even if SR wasn't there your race would still be over...

From a personal perspective during a race (but excluding the start) I have a habit of braking very early if I'm right behind someone, at least initially.

Ultimately my aim is to be as close as possible (0.1 on F3 basically) leading up to the corner but I brake a good chunk before I would usually do, this gives me the gap and car control needed to spot any errors.

The best bit about this is that people generally leave the braking too late in that situation meaning that you get the better line and one the power better and almost always end up right behind them shortly after the corner (and generally going a bit quicker).

Obviously once you've been following someone for a while you get to know their braking points/overall speed and if they're a good drive you can start driving a lot closer during cornering, it's amazing how effective it is to just get a slight overlap mid-corner and get the spotter telling them you're to the right/left, even though there's no chance of collision :D

Associate
I've just received a promo code for 3 months for $10 for new customers, which I'm not sure what to do with since I'm already signed up. Therefore if anyone wants it, it's yours. All I ask if that you put me as a referer :)

Soldato
I've just received a promo code for 3 months for $10 for new customers, which I'm not sure what to do with since I'm already signed up. Therefore if anyone wants it, it's yours. All I ask if that you put me as a referer :)

Me too, I have a 3 months for $10 code that's up for grabs (code is a one-use type thing so I can't post it here - pm me)

me too, a referral would be nice :p

email in trust...

So seeing as this thread is back on page 1, anyone up for racing tomorrow?

Associate
I should be up for some racing, still getting used to the G27(after upgrading from DFGT) so am not as fast as i used to be. :p

Back
Top Bottom